SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #12 - On The Links

Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:11 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: capsfan2121
and you dont hve good quads. we all say untrue things

Wilson never had 30 goals or a 67pt season and Brady is 6 years younger. Yeah okay and Brady has never played with Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuzy level players yet
Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:15 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: csick
Giroux and Stutzle are 2 great playmakers and Batherson is one of the best playmakers out there , he will find you. I’m not too worried .

Oh I would not be worried.

I mean if Tage Thompson is making 6mil, sorry 7m, by god Debrincat in a CONTRACT YEAR WITH A BLANK CHEQUE ALMOST, is slamming home minimum 35 goals even if he plays 50 games worst case scenario. He’s alongside, oh other contact year rookie who would also benefit immensely from a long term deal.

Not saying Stu and Cat are making 30 mil combined here but they gotta be looking for minimum 5 year security; well paid, cup contender type deals. That would just not be acceptable in their own eyes.
csick and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:17 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: yikes
Oh I would not be worried.

I mean if Tage Thompson is making 6mil, sorry 7m, by god Debrincat in a CONTRACT YEAR WITH A BLANK CHEQUE ALMOST, is slamming home minimum 35 goals even if he plays 50 games worst case scenario. He’s alongside, oh other contact year rookie who would also benefit immensely from a long term deal.

Not saying Stu and Cat are making 30 mil combined here but they gotta be looking for minimum 5 year security; well paid, cup contender type deals.

I’m predicting 46 goals for Debrincat and 37 for Norris. 32 for a Brady, 28 for Batherson, 26 for Timmy and 22 for Giroux
Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:24 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I’m predicting 46 goals for Debrincat and 37 for Norris. 32 for a Brady, 28 for Batherson, 26 for Timmy and 22 for Giroux

I think 28 and 26 for Bath and Stu are a bit high. I wouldn’t be afraid to suggest goals will be very close but a bit lower. But I’m all in on Stutzle and Norris - I can’t think of a bigger year in the making for Stutzle if he performs. Not on any other team.. look at what Batherson and Norris are making? He could pull here a high 8… and for DeBrincat you can easily argue if he puts up 46 that he needs to see a 9 in his deal, minimum. All this plus the actual opportunity the Sens as a team have. Not as a franchise, as a team they are clearly aware this is an opportunity for a cup.

You cant blame a that squad for having 100% belief currently, that they can win a cup with essentially this entire core, each in their own position. Their only blind spot is goaltending imo and I know there’s a collective moan reading that. They aren’t close. But they do have a framework, and an apparent series of events.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:25 p.m.
KFTW
I think 28 and 26 for Bath and Stu are a bit high. I wouldn’t be afraid to suggest goals will be very close but a bit lower. But I’m all in on Stutzle and Norris - I can’t think of a bigger year to performing for Stutzle, not on any team.. look at what Batherson and Norris are making? He could pull here a high 8… and for DeBrincat you can easily argue if he puts up 46 that he needs to see a 9 in his deal. All this plus the actually opportunity the Sens as a team have. Not as a franchise, as a team they are clearly aware this is an opportunity for a cup.

You can blame a that squad for having 100% belief currently, that they can win a cup with essentially this entire core, each in their own position. Their only blind spot is goaltending imo and I know there’s a collective moan reading that.

Idk who to pick. The whole top 6 except Giroux could be around 70pts . Hell even Giroux could have a resurgence and pull a Pavelski. Who knows . This team is stacked. The player I’m most excited for is Pinto tho . He’s gonna shock a lot of ppl
Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:30 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Idk who to pick. The whole top 6 except Giroux could be around 70pts . Hell even Giroux could have a resurgence and pull a Pavelski. Who knows . This team is stacked. The player I’m most excited for is Pinto tho . He’s gonna shock a lot of ppl

After seeing what’s happened to Knyzhov, I’m trying not to get excited for someone like Pinto, it would be disappointing to say the least. I’m favouring Boldy, but Pinto is by no means a “worse player”. I mean there’s a reason why Dorion has verbally said that multiple teams call on Pinto, regularly.

I honestly would consider “load” “management” - hate saying that tho but it’s a good idea. It effects his pay realistically if that strategy is employed. (FUTURE PAY).
csick and Alfie11 liked this.
Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:32 p.m.
KFTW
After seeing what’s happened to Knyzhov, I’m trying not to get excited for someone like Pinto, it would be disappointing to say the least. I’m favouring Boldy, but Pinto is by no means a “worse player”. I mean there’s a reason why Dorion has verbally said that multiple teams call on Pinto, regularly.

Pinto is so good. His IQ is high end , knows exactly where to be, steals pucks, can go to the net, has a good shot. Can kill penalties really well
Alfie11 liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 1:44 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: aadoyle
Kerfoot + Holl for Jost to me works as then Toronto can build a 4th line of Jost-Gaudette-Kubel

I’d be down for that.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 1:46 a.m.
Edited Sep. 1, 2022 at 1:55 a.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Am I wrong for thinking that a top goalie (1A starter) should play at least 50 games in a season (60% of the season)
I also think for evaluating a goaltender's individual performance, 5v5 stats are the most reliable

Over the last few months I've really tried to create a method out of the goalie "role" terms that get thrown around. While this isn't scientific; it does pretty much follow what NHL GM's have referenced in the pressers about goalie roles/expectations.

To me there is a difference between a "workhorse" (or what we used to call 10+ years ago the "starter") and what gets tossed around as 1A types. By definition a 1A means that there is a 1B; as opposed to what normally is a #1 vs #2 starter/backup situation. Then there is the "tandem" thing that gets tossed around and sometimes gets co-mingled with 1A/1B situations.

Of course, its goalies so everything is voodoo (meaning subject to change at a moments notice or a cold streak or a heater).

Game Starts by "category"
Type of Goaltender...Avg...Range
Workhorse....................66...59-72
1A...................................53...47-58
Tandem.........................41...36-46
1B...................................29...24-35
Backup..........................16...10-23 This role is the 2nd game of a B2B or every 6th game type of guy.
Spot Duty/Prospect.......5...1-9

This is all based on "pre-season" expectations.

So, a workhorse (66 games) is paired with a backup (16 games) for an 82 game expectation, etc. Any minor injuries get plugged with the "Spot Duty" or "Prospect" guy that is probably your AHL starter.

NHL Teams (according to me):
Workhorse goalies:
Andrei Vasilevskiy, John Gibson, Connor Hellebuyck, Jake Oettinger, Jacob Markstrom, Darcy Kuemper, Juuse Saros, Thatcher Demko. Keep in mind this is pre-season expectations (Kuemper without injury is expected to shoulder a 60ish game workload in Washington; Oettinger appears to be in Dallas as well).

1A goalies:
Sergei Bobrovsky, Jordan Binnington, Philipp Grubauer, Igor Shesterkin, Elvis Merzlikins, Jack Campbell, Matt Murray, Frederik Andersen, Ilya Sorokin, Carter Hart, Petr Mrazek, Tristan Jarry, Marc-Andre Fleury, Alexandar Georgiev, Vitek Vanecek, Jake Allen, Adin Hill, Karel Vejmelka
Shesterkin should be moving towards the "workhorse" role but he hasn't knocked on that door just yet despite all of his other accolades. I have Vegas (Hill) in this category as a "carry-over" from when it was Lehner. Too soon to know if this will be a 1A/1B or a tandem so just left it alone for now.

Tandems
Jonathan Quick-Cal Petersen, Ville Husso-Alex Nedeljkovic, Cam Talbot-Anton Forsberg, Jeremy Swayman-Linus Ullmark, Eric Comrie-Craig Anderson
Some of these are debatable but based on pressers from Yzerman about Husso's expectations it fits my tandem criteria moreso than the 1A role. Boston is tough as it is transitioning to a 1A but Swayman hasn't pulled away that much yet from Ullmark. Comrie should not be thrown in to a huge workload and doesn't appear that Buffalo will do that to him yet.

1B
Semyon Varlamov, MacKenzie Blackwood, Antti Raanta, Pavel Francouz, Martin Jones, Casey DeSmith, Ilya Samsonov, Jaroslav Halák, Joonas Korpisalo, Thomas Greiss, Sam Montembeault, Spencer Knight, Filip Gustavsson, Felix Sandstrom, Logan Thompson, Alex Stalock, Stuart Skinner, Jon Gillies/Ivan Prosvetov

Backups
Kevin Lankinen, Charlie Lindgren, Scott Wedgewood, Anthony Stolarz, Brian Elliott, David Rittich, Spencer Martin, Dan Vladar

Spot Duty/Prospects
everyone else

These are ranked within category by AAV.

Not sure what you all think but it helps me to categorize them and then see what my expectations are based on their talent but applied against their expected workload.
If you look at the teams with really good tandems and 1B goalies; they are all teams that shouldn't fall off if their "starter" gets hurt for prolonged periods. They might not have "elite" goaltending compared to the workhorse teams but have a higher floor if things go badly.
Juiceman and oilersguy liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 2:10 a.m.
Edited Sep. 1, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
I also like to see if there are role "misfits" for example like Alexander Georgiev last year in a 1B role didn't fit his approach. Now he has the clear 1A job.

This year I see some potential "fit" issues:
Mackenzie Blackwood as the 1B role in New Jersey.
Ilya Samsonov in Toronto as the 1B. Could be great, could be bad.
Jaroslav Halak as the 1B in New York; he is better suited as a true backup which also tips the hand that maybe NYR go full Workhorse with Shesterkin. Burnout in his future?
Jake Allen as the 1A in Montreal. Helps them in pursuit of Bedard however.
Cam Talbot as the 1A in Ottawa. He vocally left Minnesota to avoid a "timeshare"; maybe he feels less threatened by Forsberg than MAF; he shouldn't sleep on Forsberg.
Eric Comrie as the 1A in Buffalo. Big step up in PT for a guy who looked like a high quality backup last year.
Adin Hill as the 1A in Vegas (even if he is plan C or D); it doesn't matter if we are using Brossoit or Thompson; none of them have seemed like 1A guys to this point.

Guys that I think will thrive in their new role:
Matt Murray as 1A in Toronto. Ignoring all the TML chatter and the Murray lovers/haters. I think this is where he will thrive.
Alexander Georgiev as 1A in Colorado. It isn't fair to say that you can throw "anyone" back there and get into the Vezina conversation; but this will be a really good match with Frankie as the perfect 1B.
Jack Campbell (1A) and Stuart Skinner (1B) in Edmonton. As long as Edmonton sticks with the program of 2 games for Jack, 1 for Stuart everything will be very good.
Jack Oettinger as the Workhorse in Dallas. Just pay him $6.0 x 8 and lock up this stud-in-the-making already!
Saskleaf, Juiceman and aadoyle liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 2:51 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Guys I’m 25 years old free agent 6’2 210lbs , shoots right , physical , quick reflexes. Which team should I join

Anaheim Zegras feeds would make you have highlight goals
csick and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 4:16 a.m.
retired
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I also like to see if there are role "misfits" for example like Alexander Georgiev last year in a 1B role didn't fit his approach. Now he has the clear 1A job.

This year I see some potential "fit" issues:
Mackenzie Blackwood as the 1B role in New Jersey.
Ilya Samsonov in Toronto as the 1B. Could be great, could be bad.
Jaroslav Halak as the 1B in New York; he is better suited as a true backup which also tips the hand that maybe NYR go full Workhorse with Shesterkin. Burnout in his future?
Jake Allen as the 1A in Montreal. Helps them in pursuit of Bedard however.
Cam Talbot as the 1A in Ottawa. He vocally left Minnesota to avoid a "timeshare"; maybe he feels less threatened by Forsberg than MAF; he shouldn't sleep on Forsberg.
Eric Comrie as the 1A in Buffalo. Big step up in PT for a guy who looked like a high quality backup last year.
Adin Hill as the 1A in Vegas (even if he is plan C or D); it doesn't matter if we are using Brossoit or Thompson; none of them have seemed like 1A guys to this point.

Guys that I think will thrive in their new role:
Matt Murray as 1A in Toronto. Ignoring all the TML chatter and the Murray lovers/haters. I think this is where he will thrive.
Alexander Georgiev as 1A in Colorado. It isn't fair to say that you can throw "anyone" back there and get into the Vezina conversation; but this will be a really good match with Frankie as the perfect 1B.
Jack Campbell (1A) and Stuart Skinner (1B) in Edmonton. As long as Edmonton sticks with the program of 2 games for Jack, 2 for Stuart everything will be very good.
Jack Oettinger as the Workhorse in Dallas. Just pay him $6.0 x 8 and lock up this stud-in-the-making already!

i wouldn't be surprised if franky becomes the 1a. very underrated goalie
zk97 and HockeyScotty liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 4:21 a.m.
retired
Quoting: Alfie11
Eh, 4Cs are a dime a dozen. Not worth giving up an asset for. Any organization should have like 3 guys that can fill a 4th line role, it’s by far the easiest hole to fill on the entire roster. And you can get decent guys for cheap in free agency to boot (ERod is still out there for example)

id say jost is closer to a 3c. but i agree you can get a better player for less in free agency
Sep. 1, 2022 at 5:58 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i wouldn't be surprised if franky becomes the 1a. very underrated goalie

Yeah but this dude must be one of the most prone to injury goalies.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 7:54 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: capsfan2121
im 150 pounds now

This doesn’t change the fact Craig Button once had Yanni Gourde of the Seattle Kraken make his team canada team
csick, NoVaSpartan, BuFfaLOFaN and 6 others liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 8:20 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
lol I’m sorry this got me crying, take this elsewhere 😂

Take this conversation, imagine it happening probably twice a week, and you probably just get their twitter dms tears of joy
csick and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 8:31 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Take this conversation, imagine it happening probably twice a week, and you probably just get their twitter dms tears of joy

“Dom is Daddy” “Boss is hot”
- CapsFan2121 somewhere
NoVaSpartan, EsoYeezus69, AndrewLadd and 6 others liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 8:36 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
“Dom is Daddy” “Boss is hot”
- CapsFan2121 somewhere

careful, he's got enough ammo to bring us all into public embarrassment tears of joy
csick, EsoYeezus69, Bobcat205 and 4 others liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 9:22 a.m.
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
careful, he's got enough ammo to bring us all into public embarrassment tears of joy

not on me squinty smile
csick, zk97 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 9:29 a.m.
cautious optimism
It's been a very slow few days in terms of news, so i've been thinking.

If i ever get serious about collecting jerseys, i'd want to get jerseys with very long foreign names to throw my friends for a loop.

I already have my eyes on a Jesse Puljujarvi jersey, and i've got a longer wish list with other names.

- John Vanbiesbrouck, Panthers
- Pavel Buchnevich, Blues
- Nikolai Knyzhov, Sharks
- Miroslav Satan, ̶D̶e̶v̶i̶l̶s̶ Sabres
- Yegor Sharangovich, Devils
- Teuvo Teravainen, Hurricanes
csick, zk97 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Bobcat205

If i ever get serious about collecting jerseys, i'd want to get jerseys with very long foreign names to throw my friends for a loop.

I already have my eyes on a Jesse Puljujarvi jersey, and i've got a longer wish list with other names.

I want the Orange Ducks jersey.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 9:49 a.m.
retired

dont forget to get a frk jersey
zk97 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 10:52 a.m.

I actually have a list of sick logos for jerseys I want lol. For starters I obviously need a Sens jersey and a Flames jersey (outgrew my old Sens jersey and I was gonna buy a Tkachuk blasty jersey but I was told not to because I was getting it as a gift, but my dad bought a kid’s size and then they were sold out 💀💀). I need to pick a new favourite player on the Flames though lol, and if Batherson gets cleared I’ll probably get his jersey (otherwise Stutzle or Giroux).

For other teams, I’d like a Stone Vegas jersey (Stone is my 2nd favourite active player after Stamkos, who I already have a jersey for lol), and I’d also like a Sabres red/black buffalo head jersey cuz those logos are sick (top 2 in the NHL, and they are exactly #2 after blasty lol). Maybe Cozens or something, the problem is I don’t really like any Sabres player that much lol

Also, look up the 2010-11 Grand Rapids Griffins alternate jersey. Might be the best logo in hockey
Sep. 1, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I actually have a list of sick logos for jerseys I want lol. For starters I obviously need a Sens jersey and a Flames jersey (outgrew my old Sens jersey and I was gonna buy a Tkachuk blasty jersey but I was told not to because I was getting it as a gift, but my dad bought a kid’s size and then they were sold out 💀💀). I need to pick a new favourite player on the Flames though lol, and if Batherson gets cleared I’ll probably get his jersey (otherwise Stutzle or Giroux).

For other teams, I’d like a Stone Vegas jersey (Stone is my 2nd favourite active player after Stamkos, who I already have a jersey for lol), and I’d also like a Sabres red/black buffalo head jersey cuz those logos are sick (top 2 in the NHL, and they are exactly #2 after blasty lol). Maybe Cozens or something, the problem is I don’t really like any Sabres player that much lol

Also, look up the 2010-11 Grand Rapids Griffins alternate jersey. Might be the best logo in hockey

A Power, or Quinn or Peterka one for the sabres would be great. Cozens is going to be a our #1 Center so he could be a good choice as well.
Sep. 1, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
not on me squinty smile

Juiceman and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll