SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Oct. 11, 2022 at 9:11 a.m.
TheAthletic is releasing there top 100 players in modern hockey, post-1967 expansion NHL history, the list is called the NHL99. Because they are trying to figure out the 99 players after Gretzky lol. There is 9 voters, Eric Duhatschek, Dom Luszczyszyn, Shayna Goldman, Ian Mendes, Scott Wheeler, Sean Gentille, Michael Russo, Sean McIndoe and James Mirtle. Apparently they where given a list of 100, so someone had already figured out the top 100 players. 400 games minimum, #100 is MarcAndre Fluery.

TheAthletics Mission Statement for the list. In 100 days or whenever the full list is finished if you don't have an Athletic membership i would recommend getting one or getting a free trial and reading some of these stories. They are very interesting and going to be quite insightful.
The overall goal was simple: To tell 100 compelling stories about 100 impactful NHL players and ultimately, perhaps, generate a conversation about who might have made the list and was overlooked.

Anyone want to take guesses on who 2-99 is? Players like Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, and Gordie Howe are not on this list because they didn't play 400 games after 1967.

Does Auston Matthews make the list since he is Eligible? McDavid surely should, Mackinnon?

Crosby and Ovi top 10? 15?
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:01 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
yikes do you think reimer and/or bonino get moved if the sharks suck or would they want to keep them

Quoting: HelmutCool
They might fetch some assets as 1 year UFA rentals at the trade deadline.
And Sanjose can even retain salary on one of them.

They have to trade them eventually. They just have to.

I think (unless Quinn/ Grier are donkeys) the Sharks are privately tanking. Not publicly like the Yotes or Hawks. I mean just to give you two off rip examples;

A) Eklund / Bords definitely were brought to Europe as a treat, but never an intention to play. Gregor - Bonino - Nieto we’re terrible game one, and Gregor was singled out and scratched but the other two weren’t. To only bring in Svechnikov. This shows me they don’t have an intention of playing Eklund and Bords unless it’s for like 20+ games.

B) to further add, Boninos line was started in the MOST OFFENSIVE ZONE DRAWS OUT OF ALL SHARKS LINES IN THE FIRST TWO GAMES. So now you’re not only playing our worst line more, but you’re not trying to improve the line with easy swaps like Eklund - Bonino - Bords or Eklund - Bords - Gregor etc.

So unless Quinn and Grier are just absolutely brain melted. I think they’re tying to lose games as quietly as possible to not fire up the owner who demanded Wilson to non stop compete (allegedly). So to keep Hasso happy Grier clearly made efforts to improve the team but make some tanking moves quietly. Trade Burns was necessary but the Sharks d core is already completely gutted losing Burns’ 20-30min a night.

Maybe I’m exaggerating, but I think losing Burns will hamper any hope of not losing atleast 40 games. The d core is so measly and they’re playing Vlasic in top 4 (who hasn’t been that bad I guess). But Harrington and Benning are already getting exposed and Megna is our rotation lol.

Continue with trying to rise stocks of Bonino for a trade, and start our worst offensive line in the offensive zone etc.

I think it’s evident that by December the Sharks are going to be completely out of the race and than TDL or January revamp their entire roster through trades and call ups. I mean we’re two games in but that’s my take.

Reimer would be the one with retention imo. Find the highest bidder for a goalie and then also make Reims dirt cheap at 1mil.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
TheAthletic is releasing there top 100 players in modern hockey, post-1967 expansion NHL history, the list is called the NHL99. Because they are trying to figure out the 99 players after Gretzky lol. There is 9 voters, Eric Duhatschek, Dom Luszczyszyn, Shayna Goldman, Ian Mendes, Scott Wheeler, Sean Gentille, Michael Russo, Sean McIndoe and James Mirtle. Apparently they where given a list of 100, so someone had already figured out the top 100 players. 400 games minimum, #100 is MarcAndre Fluery.

TheAthletics Mission Statement for the list. In 100 days or whenever the full list is finished if you don't have an Athletic membership i would recommend getting one or getting a free trial and reading some of these stories. They are very interesting and going to be quite insightful.
The overall goal was simple: To tell 100 compelling stories about 100 impactful NHL players and ultimately, perhaps, generate a conversation about who might have made the list and was overlooked.

Anyone want to take guesses on who 2-99 is? Players like Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, and Gordie Howe are not on this list because they didn't play 400 games after 1967.

Does Auston Matthews make the list since he is Eligible? McDavid surely should, Mackinnon?

If Joe Thornton is left off the top 100 like the NHLs list from a while back it will lose a ton of credibility imo.
HelmutCool liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
Banned
Love the Sunny reference in the title!
Oct. 11, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
WentWughes

MacKinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, all make it in easily. Think we have to look at season domination opposed too career longevity.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
torontos finest

Scott Smith and the entire Board of Directors stepped down.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:16 a.m.

HUGE W F*CK YOU HOCKEY CANADA
MatthewsFan, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:32 a.m.
torontos finest

Regarding Ian Cole.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:42 a.m.
I make typos
Mikko Koskinen has a .965 sv% and a 1.01 GAA in the first 5 games of the Swiss league season, why his he not in the NHL?!?
HelmutCool liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
MacKinnon, McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, all make it in easily. Think we have to look at season domination opposed too career longevity.

True but are any of those guys over there career so far better than Flowers career? Flower has 3 cups. And he is 100th.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 11:59 a.m.
Tintin over 1122

This proves age doesn’t really matter. Most of these teams are playoff teams
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:03 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

do you think Backstrom makes it
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
cautious optimism

if rick nash doesn't at least get an honorable mention i would be very sad
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
Habs fan somehow
Quoting: capsfan2121

Just for perspective, MAF was the first name disclosed, at no. 100.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: Bobcat205
if rick nash doesn't at least get an honorable mention i would be very sad

There is no honorable mentions.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:14 p.m.

Age is the reason they are playoff teams? Experience and they have been together for a while. Younger teams normally don't make the playoffs because they are inexperienced or rebuilding.
oilersguy and Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Age is the reason they are playoff teams? Experience and they have been together for a while. Younger teams normally don't make the playoffs because they are inexperienced or rebuilding.

No that’s not what I meant. Age is just a number. Age isn’t the reason why they are playoff teams, it’s skill
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

My take on the Top 20 (not in particular order)

Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Mark Messier
Patrick Roy
Martin Brodeur
Steve Yzerman
Raymond Bourque
Nicklas Lidstrom
Phil Esposito
Mike Bossy
Jaromir Jagr
Guy Lafleur
Paul Coffey
Bryan Trottier
Dominik Hasek
Joe Sakic
Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin
Connor McDavid

Just missed are Hull, Clarke, Potvin, Forsberg, Dryden, Stastny
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

The goalie? Probably. The center I doubt it laugh
oilersguy and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: SevenLeg
The goalie? Probably. The center I doubt it laugh

Happy Birthday SevenLeg
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
My take on the Top 20 (not in particular order)

Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Orr
Mario Lemieux
Mark Messier
Patrick Roy
Martin Brodeur
Steve Yzerman
Raymond Bourque
Nicklas Lidstrom
Phil Esposito
Mike Bossy
Jaromir Jagr
Guy Lafleur
Paul Coffey
Bryan Trottier
Dominik Hasek
Joe Sakic
Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin
Connor McDavid

Just missed are Hull, Clarke, Potvin, Forsberg, Dryden, Stastny

No shot Connor McDavid sniffs the top 20 with under 700 career points and 3 playoff series wins in 7 years. He’s started to build a solid trophy case for sure, maybe enough to squeak into the top 100, but you can’t just project him to get another several hundred points and multiple Stanley Cups, which is what he’d need to be on par with those guys.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:31 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
No shot Connor McDavid sniffs the top 20 with under 700 career points and 3 playoff series wins in 7 years. He’s started to build a solid trophy case for sure, maybe enough to squeak into the top 100, but you can’t just project him to get another several hundred points and multiple Stanley Cups, which is what he’d need to be on par with those guys.

Why does someone need a cup to prove they are better than someone.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:35 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

You can't really expect a 25-year old to have accomplished more so far than legends in their 15-20 years careers. Think they're gonna be more permissive with younger active players especially ones that are 4th in career P/GP behind 99, 66 and Bossy.
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan, BuFfaLOFaN and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I guess having Gio makes us the 4th oldest team

As besides him there arent really many old guys so to speak
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 11, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.

Top 3 for me are
Gretzky
Orr
Lemieux

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll