SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #1: Beg for Bedard

May 24, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR

Good signing

Kind of saw this coming as it would have made no sense to make him captain than let him go a year later.
zk97 liked this.
May 24, 2023 at 10:40 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Jesper Fast has been a whole lot of fun in these playoffs. What a run he is having
May 24, 2023 at 11:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Nathaniel
Jesper Fast has been a whole lot of fun in these playoffs. What a run he is having

He was always a good player was honestly surprised when Rangers let him walk as he was a hard worker for them

Wouldnt mind seeing him in Toronto with Knies and Holmberg on the third line
May 24, 2023 at 11:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I wonder whats Carolina's plan now

Injuries reared their ugly head and took out some key guys

That said I do feel they were to conservative at the TDL. Should have got a big more aggressive.
May 24, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle

That said I do feel they were to conservative at the TDL. Should have got a big more aggressive.

They're in for a tough time after Tulsky leaves for Toronto
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
May 24, 2023 at 11:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
They're in for a tough time after Tulsky leaves for Toronto

Knowing them they gonna hire or promote another genius and be just fine as those guys find needles and haystacks almost everywhere lul
May 24, 2023 at 11:20 p.m.
More Finns More Wins

No, they were right to hold tight with everyone else going all-in. This core's window has only one more season, so I think they play next year more aggressive. Also, they pretty much have to wait until the deadline to get Andrei Svechnikov back from his torn ACL.

The big thing this offseason is the goaltending situation. Andersen and Raanta are both 34 at the start of next season and neither have contracts with Carolina, and Kochetkov, despite his maturity issues, is too good to keep in the AHL next season.

They nominally have a lot of cap to play with this offseason, but I expect mostly one-year veteran contracts, as they figure out who their true core is going into the 2024-25 season.

The most important part of their future plan should be to promote Tulsky to a position that other teams don't try to poach, possibly kicking Waddell to POHO to promote him to GM.
May 24, 2023 at 11:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
No, they were right to hold tight with everyone else going all-in. This core's window has only one more season, so I think they play next year more aggressive. Also, they pretty much have to wait until the deadline to get Andrei Svechnikov back from his torn ACL.

The big thing this offseason is the goaltending situation. Andersen and Raanta are both 34 at the start of next season and neither have contracts with Carolina, and Kochetkov, despite his maturity issues, is too good to keep in the AHL next season.

They nominally have a lot of cap to play with this offseason, but I expect mostly one-year veteran contracts, as they figure out who their true core is going into the 2024-25 season.

The most important part of their future plan should be to promote Tulsky to a position that other teams don't try to poach, possibly kicking Waddell to POHO to promote him to GM.

But they could have got aggressive and traded for someone with term. Vrana costed St. Louis almost nothing. Heck imagine Konecney. They had the cap space to do some dmg but they were a bit to conservative as they didnt even play JP and Ghost was a nice third pair guy but needed more

Like imagine they did the Vrana trade and then made a big splash and traded for Konecney. That would have been terrifying
May 25, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Some rumor sites saying dubas to Pittsburg is done. Who knows if that’s true.

If so, I wonder if any of the Leaf UFA guys like Bunting, Kampf, Schenn, O’Rielly, Acciari end up Penguins….
May 25, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Some rumor sites saying dubas to Pittsburg is done. Who knows if that’s true.

If so, I wonder if any of the Leaf UFA guys like Bunting, Kampf, Schenn, O’Rielly, Acciari end up Penguins….

Nah penguins gonna bring the gang back Zucker, Kulikov bonino and really go old style. Might see Kampf join
May 25, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
list of U20 players who have scored 7+ goals in the IIHF World Championships over the past 30 years

Cutter Gauthier (7, tourney still going)
Patrik Laine (7)
John Tavares (7)
Steven Stamkos (7)
Sidney Crosby (8)
Eric Lindros (11)

(Stolen from the tweet below. Wouldn't link)

https://twitter.com/dsilver88/status/1661814463148818468?s=20
zk97 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 25, 2023 at 6:17 p.m.
So apparently the agent representing Dubas is now being examined by NHLPA per Serevalli

Now its frank so pinch of salt but would be pretty funny if this occurred
May 25, 2023 at 10:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Go Stars
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 10:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Deleted post
May 25, 2023 at 11:13 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Wtf???
May 26, 2023 at 10:19 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
With the caps yes but they werent the right team for him past their prime and needed to go in a new direction. They starting it but still need to continue and get out from the old guys. As lets be real if not for the injuries he would have got them to the playoffs. As to how far they would have went no idea.

But besides that Laviolette has the coaching pedigree was the man who taught Brid'Amour what coaching was, and won a cup and took NSH to the finals

I mean, if you look at Laviolette's years in DC, even from the very beginning, what makes him an enticing coach? He had no idea what to do with even an iota of youth if their name wasn't Martin Fehervary, including pissing off players in the process by not playing guys like Alexeyev, so I can only imagine the wails from Toronto faithful when he forcefeeds the fans 18 minutes of Simmonds a night like he did with Craig Smith, Matt Irwin, and the list goes on. His Caps' best run was a 6 game loss to Florida in which he was tactically spanked by Andrew Brunette (who was then tactically spanked by Cooper in the next round), couldn't adjust to Florida's game, started Vanecek even though Samsonov was the obvious pick, and misused talent in those 6 games by cutting minutes from Mantha and Oshie despite them playing quite well. Hell, in the series against Boston he started Craig Anderson even though Samsonov was once again the better pick.

He doesn't have any idea what to do with talent whatsoever. His powerplays, dating back to his time in Nashville, are horrendously bad and while that could somewhat be blamed on Forsythe in DC when you look back at his final years in Nashville it starts to become a trend. He has no idea how to handle goalies, starting one randomly then benching them randomly during a run of form (see Samsonov early last season, force-feeding Fucale games then getting him sent down the moment he falters, etc). His defensive structure was god awful despite the caps having solid defensemen, as shown by Orlov and Schultz thriving outside of Washington and random blowout games the Caps should have won (see home vs Edmonton last year, Samsonov gets shelled in period one due to mind numbing defense, Copley comes in but gap is too far). I'd say that his defensive structure is no better exposed than in seeing that Vanacek, Samsonov, AND Copley all had career years on teams not named the Capitals.

He might have been a good coach back in the day, but the game has very clearly passed him by. He can't get along with players (Orlov, Vrana, Mantha, etc), he lacks any defensive structure, can't get a power play going, can't deal with youth, and seemingly everyone that left Washington in the last 2 years returned to form, save for Marcus Johansson who stayed about the same. If MLSE was impatient with Dubas, then I don't think Lavi would even last a season there. He's got the profile of a short term success coach like Deboer, Gallant, and Tortorella, but without the success part.
May 26, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I mean, if you look at Laviolette's years in DC, even from the very beginning, what makes him an enticing coach? He had no idea what to do with even an iota of youth if their name wasn't Martin Fehervary, including pissing off players in the process by not playing guys like Alexeyev, so I can only imagine the wails from Toronto faithful when he forcefeeds the fans 18 minutes of Simmonds a night like he did with Craig Smith, Matt Irwin, and the list goes on. His Caps' best run was a 6 game loss to Florida in which he was tactically spanked by Andrew Brunette (who was then tactically spanked by Cooper in the next round), couldn't adjust to Florida's game, started Vanecek even though Samsonov was the obvious pick, and misused talent in those 6 games by cutting minutes from Mantha and Oshie despite them playing quite well. Hell, in the series against Boston he started Craig Anderson even though Samsonov was once again the better pick.

He doesn't have any idea what to do with talent whatsoever. His powerplays, dating back to his time in Nashville, are horrendously bad and while that could somewhat be blamed on Forsythe in DC when you look back at his final years in Nashville it starts to become a trend. He has no idea how to handle goalies, starting one randomly then benching them randomly during a run of form (see Samsonov early last season, force-feeding Fucale games then getting him sent down the moment he falters, etc). His defensive structure was god awful despite the caps having solid defensemen, as shown by Orlov and Schultz thriving outside of Washington and random blowout games the Caps should have won (see home vs Edmonton last year, Samsonov gets shelled in period one due to mind numbing defense, Copley comes in but gap is too far). I'd say that his defensive structure is no better exposed than in seeing that Vanacek, Samsonov, AND Copley all had career years on teams not named the Capitals.

He might have been a good coach back in the day, but the game has very clearly passed him by. He can't get along with players (Orlov, Vrana, Mantha, etc), he lacks any defensive structure, can't get a power play going, can't deal with youth, and seemingly everyone that left Washington in the last 2 years returned to form, save for Marcus Johansson who stayed about the same. If MLSE was impatient with Dubas, then I don't think Lavi would even last a season there. He's got the profile of a short term success coach like Deboer, Gallant, and Tortorella, but without the success part.

Let me play devil’s advocate for you, if not for Anderson the series against Boston ends in 4, he saved you guys in game 1 then got hurt in game 2 then Samsonov played like garbage when he played
May 26, 2023 at 3:24 p.m.
It’s gonna be Chiarelli, isn’t it…

zk97 liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 3:27 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: NHLfan10506

"I'd expect them to interview"

Translation: Here are my 4 guesses, which also just so happen to be the most outlandish guys possible so I can get exposure.

Seravalli is the same guy who "expected" Toronto to have interest in DeAngelo prior to him signing in Carolina. I'm shocked more people don't see through Seravallis lame attempt at stirring the pot here. I'm shocked he didn't name Mike Milbury as a name to watch as well...
NHLfan10506, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NHLfan10506

It's serevalli so pinch of salt but these are just names that are gonna spring up when any team looks for GM

Like what we saw out of Pitt. Got a feeling I know who it is and after Saturday Shanny gonna reunite with an old friend from Det
NHLfan10506 and Saskleaf liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Amirov Forever
It's serevalli so pinch of salt but these are just names that are gonna spring up when any team looks for GM

Like what we saw out of Pitt. Got a feeling I know who it is and after Saturday Shanny gonna reunite with an old friend from Det

Wendel Clark for GM?
Saskleaf liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 3:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 26, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
Wendel Clark for GM?

Jim Nill

His deals up this year, he knows Shanahan from Det days and this is someone I could see be heavily pursued once Dallas is knocked out. As looking at Suter signing yea ownership gonna go u signed that guy bye. Maybe not but if we look Shanahan brought in Babcock who he knew so maybe Nills next
Saskleaf liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Jim Nill

His deals up this year, he knows Shanahan from Det days and this is someone I could see be heavily pursued once Dallas is knocked out. As looking at Suter signing yea ownership gonna go u signed that guy bye. Maybe not but if we look Shanahan brought in Babcock who he knew so maybe Nills next

Jim Nill would be awesome, but I'm not sure ownership will let him go, and I'm not sure he'd turn down an offer. If he does become available, then sign me up. That'd be awesome
Saskleaf liked this.
May 26, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
"I'd expect them to interview"

Translation: Here are my 4 guesses, which also just so happen to be the most outlandish guys possible so I can get exposure.

Seravalli is the same guy who "expected" Toronto to have interest in DeAngelo prior to him signing in Carolina. I'm shocked more people don't see through Seravallis lame attempt at stirring the pot here. I'm shocked he didn't name Mike Milbury as a name to watch as well...

One could read the carefully worded language ("I'd expect to...")

...or one could let themselves be fooled into buying Chiarelli is a candidate.

I'm choosing the foolish route here. Its Chiarelli. I'm going with that...
May 26, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 26, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
Jim Nill would be awesome, but I'm not sure ownership will let him go, and I'm not sure he'd turn down an offer. If he does become available, then sign me up. That'd be awesome

U never know these days. Owners can be weird like why give him 1 year and not 2. He could ask for more than what they comfortable with who knows

Either way after Saturday he could become an option and then Stars can go pursue Tulsky

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll