SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(BOS/CHI) - Foligno, Hall for Mitchell, Regula

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
Makes a ton of sense for Chicago. Couple of depth prospects for someone to play with Bedard and if all goes well, should get them a nice return at the deadline.
rollie1967 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
purely a cap dump, Hall was good here and never complained; since B's dont have much in terms of prospects they'll take any they can get
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:48 p.m.
From a talent perspective, Chicago wins hands down. Taking both team situations into consideration its closer to a win/win, but I think CHI still wins.

Boston - clears $6 million in cap space without giving up assets and gets themselves out of cap hell. They do gain some RD prospects which is an area where they don't have a lot of depth. If either guy becomes even a serviceable bottom pairing d-man then I'll take it. The cap space is the big win for Boston here

Chicago - Adds a top 6 forward for basically nothing. Along with being a 50-60pt player, Hall can also help Bedard with the pressure of being a #1OA pick that is supposed to be the franchises savior.
wolfwood2099, GabeVilardiFanAccount, McGruff and 2 others liked this.
feelsbadman
tater hole abandoned NJD and Buffalo just to end right back into the wastebin XD
Yegor bomb
Edited Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
feelsbadman
Boston teams treat their players like trash , that's y most FA don't wana sign with the Celtics
mart liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Did Hall represent Buffalo when they drafted Power? iirc he was traded away before the pick was made.

1. Halls signs with Buffalo for 2020-21
2. Stuff
3. Power picked #1 by Sabres.

Ruling: It counts
mart liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:51 p.m.
Chicago totally going to flip Hall at the TDL at 3m retained for solid picks. The joys of blowing it up and weaponizing cap space. Brilliant stuff.
Works well for BOS too since they were in a crunch and will use this to keep more important players
wolfwood2099 and rollie1967 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:52 p.m.
Clear cap dump. Chicago wins.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Nice move for Chicago... They don't need cap space and Hall is a human body to play with Bedard
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: jpsnow13
How does teams like Calgary or Winnipeg expect to get any value back for their veterans players when players like Johansen and Hall are given away ?

I'm just happy for the league's parity. Bad teams with capspace have no excuse to not improve significantly with this market.

You could add in Montreal and Philadelphia too
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NHLfan10506
1. Halls signs with Buffalo for 2020-21
2. Stuff
3. Power picked #1 by Sabres.

Ruling: It counts

What about Dahlin? He was a 1rst overall pick
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
I think it's reasonable to give good value to other GM's you'll be working with in the future. They still got a great deal, and there are a few (very few) other teams that might have had the space to eat the entire contract and may have been willing to move a midrange asset to do it.

Clear Chicago win. They didn't have to completely emasculate Sweeney to get a great deal. They add a piece to play with Bedard which is good for them.

On players replacement level or worse with bad contracts that there is near-zero desire to acquire, then you can and probably should embarrass the other guy and take him to the cleaners.

I can understand trying to maintain a business relationship with other GM's, someday you hope Sweeney remembers the solid KD did for him and returns the favor.

Or he doesn't, and Chicago willingly took on 12.5M in real dollars, 6M on the cap for two more years (or a retained salary slot for a season and a half and hope you get a good return for him at the deadline).

I don't think Chicago is the clear winner at all, Boston is. Boston can now sign Bertuzzi, and/or lock in Swayman without having to give anything up.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:58 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
Boston is getting fleeced harder than Buffalo did over Taylor Hall.

Chicago wins.

Before this deal, Boston had about $5 million to sign at least $5 million. They were screwed. They moved $6 million in cap space for nothing. In fact, they got two prospects out of the deal. I was tempted to give Boston the win here.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
I hope he enjoyed that 'long' playoff run with the Bruins, b/c that might be his last trip to the dance for quite a while.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Honestly this is a pretty fair trade.

Boston prospective: The Bruins were able to get rid of Foligno whose contract was too bad to start with. Hall’s contract wasn’t the greatest and by doing this cap dump allows the Bruins to probably sign Bertuzzi and possibly Bergeron.

Chicago prospective: The Hawks acquired some much need goal scoring. Hall will provide some help for Bedard at the start of next season. If the Hawks sign Foligno it will help their weakkkkkk bottom six.

Honestly, the trade isn’t as bad as some people seem. The Bruins trade two guys to get much needed cap space and Hawks get a player who can really help Bedard.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
sensonfire
Edited Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Before this deal, Boston had about $5 million to sign at least $5 million. They were screwed. They moved $6 million in cap space for nothing. In fact, they got two prospects out of the deal. I was tempted to give Boston the win here.

The thing is I don't see Taylor Hall as a cap dump.

I see him as a top 6 forward who has performed better for Boston than when he was with Buffalo.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
Question for the Chicago fans: did Mitchell have any value? I remember a few years ago that Mitchell and Boqvist and maybe one other prospect were high end d prospects. But I haven't heard about Mitchel for a couple years. Is he more in the bust category now?
WentWughes
Hawks : Get a former Elite Winger for 2 years to play beside Bedard. Can flip at the TD for massive returns if he fits well

Bruins: Clear 6 Million in cap space, but who are you going to get with that 6 Million that is better than Hall?

Blackhawks win easy
Quoting: Rolfadinho
Clear cap dump. Chicago wins.

Yes, it's a clear cap dump, which is why I think Boston might have won. They moved $6 million in cap space they desperately needed and got back prospects. Usually teams need to give away prospects or draft picks to dump that much cap space.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:02 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Fair or Win-Win...

Next:
a) BOS to sign Bert, &
b) Would not be surprised to see Linus moved this summer to maybe get an NHLer C-man back (#1 or 2)?
wolfwood2099 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
I can understand trying to maintain a business relationship with other GM's, someday you hope Sweeney remembers the solid KD did for him and returns the favor.

Or he doesn't, and Chicago willingly took on 12.5M in real dollars, 6M on the cap for two more years (or a retained salary slot for a season and a half and hope you get a good return for him at the deadline).

I don't think Chicago is the clear winner at all, Boston is. Boston can now sign Bertuzzi, and/or lock in Swayman without having to give anything up.

There have been stories about it's difficult to work with or who wasted people's time, etc. Goes beyond hoping Sweeney will do you a solid one day.

They got a winger for Bedard. Chicago could care less about cap hit, and they are one of the top-five revenue generators in the league ever year. They clearly think sheltering Bedard is worth the $12.5m over two years. They'll flip or resign him later. It's a win for Chicago.

And yes, Boston got what they wanted, too. Cap space and a couple mid-level prospects.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: McGruff
Fair or Win-Win...

Next:
a) BOS to sign Bert, &
b) Would not be surprised to see Linus moved this summer to maybe get an NHLer C-man back (#1 or 2)?

Definitely think they are going to make a hard run at Bert; even in cap jail would make much sense to ditch your #2 winger for picks
McGruff liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: Scooter81
Honestly this is a pretty fair trade.

Boston prospective: The Bruins were able to get rid of Foligno whose contract was too bad to start with. Hall’s contract wasn’t the greatest and by doing this cap dump allows the Bruins to probably sign Bertuzzi and possibly Bergeron.

Chicago prospective: The Hawks acquired some much need goal scoring. Hall will provide some help for Bedard at the start of next season. If the Hawks sign Foligno it will help their weakkkkkk bottom six.

Honestly, the trade isn’t as bad as some people seem. The Bruins trade two guys to get much needed cap space and Hawks get a player who can really help Bedard.

Foligno was a UFA, so his contract was already off the books.

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Hawks : Get a former Elite Winger for 2 years to play beside Bedard. Can flip at the TD for massive returns if he fits well

Bruins: Clear 6 Million in cap space, but who are you going to get with that 6 Million that is better than Hall?

Blackhawks win easy

The theory for B's fans is they'll use the money to re-sign Bertuzzi. My guess is they want to get it done before FA opens and Bert can see what money other teams are willing to offer.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
The thing is I don't see Taylor Hall as a cap dump.

I see him as a top 6 forward who has performed better for Boston than when he was with Buffalo.

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Blackhawks win easy

He was Injured last year and his points per game suffered as a result. I think Boston is expecting him to continue to drop this year. Hence the cap dump.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit