Forums/NHL Trades

(BOS/CHI) - Foligno, Hall for Mitchell, Regula

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:08 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
There have been stories about it's difficult to work with or who wasted people's time, etc. Goes beyond hoping Sweeney will do you a solid one day.

They got a winger for Bedard. Chicago could care less about cap hit, and they are one of the top-five revenue generators in the league ever year. They clearly think sheltering Bedard is worth the $12.5m over two years. They'll flip or resign him later. It's a win for Chicago.

And yes, Boston got what they wanted, too. Cap space and a couple mid-level prospects.

I'll change my tune, just a smidge.

I don't think Chicago lost in this deal, as they can get something for Hall either this deadline or next.

I think Boston made out like bandits, which infuriates me because while every other team pays create cap space, Boston gets paid to. They get to move out a big contract they don't want so they can keep the people they need. Dumb.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Massive Chicago W, Hall is a good 2nd liner, Regula is meh and Mitchell looks like a 3rd pair D, Boston does clear cap space so I get why they did this but they got fleeced
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: BCAPP
Question for the Chicago fans: did Mitchell have any value? I remember a few years ago that Mitchell and Boqvist and maybe one other prospect were high end d prospects. But I haven't heard about Mitchel for a couple years. Is he more in the bust category now?

His development stalled once he went pro. He is a #1D in AHL and plays top minutes and PP1 time but once he goes NHL he's overmatched. He and Regula are still young and might still come around but they're looking more like bottom pairing Dmen on weak defensive depth teams to AHL call up guys on better teams with improved depth.
ON3M4N, exo2769, BCAPP and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
I'll change my tune, just a smidge.

I don't think Chicago lost in this deal, as they can get something for Hall either this deadline or next.

I think Boston made out like bandits, which infuriates me because while every other team pays create cap space, Boston gets paid to. They get to move out a big contract they don't want so they can keep the people they need. Dumb.

Chicago wanted Hall more than they wanted two guys that are stalled out (for now) as AHL-tweeners. That's why he had value.

We've already seen what happens when teams are indifferent or worse about taking players with high cap back. I imagine Sakic told Poile, I'd rather have RyJo at $4M than air, but I'm just as comfortable looking at other options. Poile took air and $4M capspace over RyJo at full price.
If no-one wanted Hall, it'd be similar math. Things just lined up for Chicago and Boston giving them both what they wanted.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
and proud of it
Boston just dumping cap, but this is a fair deal I think
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: poeticentropy
Chicago totally going to flip Hall at the TDL at 3m retained for solid picks. The joys of blowing it up and weaponizing cap space. Brilliant stuff.
Works well for BOS too since they were in a crunch and will use this to keep more important players

That would be most likely in 2025 since he has two years left on his contract. That's ok. Still a good plan.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:28 p.m.
torontos finest
hall for ahl guys

not a fan because it helps boston
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:35 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Huge win for Boston to be able to get out of that contract without a sweetener and with no retention.

This trade and the Johansen trade shows how weak free agency is this year. Teams are willing to take on underperforming veterans to fill spots.

The idea behind the trade is fine for Chicago. They need players on shorter term contracts to play with Bedard, and they are loaded with cap space. I'm not sure Hall was the right guy to target, but the big difference between this trade and the Johansen trade is that the risk is very low for Chicago due to the amount of cap space they have. If Hall is a dud, it won't matter. If Johansen is a dud, Colorado may not be able to move his entire 4M cap hit to make room for a replacement.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: NHLfan10506
1. Halls signs with Buffalo for 2020-21
2. Stuff
3. Power picked #1 by Sabres.

Ruling: It counts

ima give half a point since he was traded away prior the draft
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:48 p.m.
This is a great trade for both teams.

Clear win for Boston. They needed cap space and they were able to move 2x$6M without giving up anything other than the player carrying that cap hit. (Forget Foligno – he’s going to be a UFA if Chicago doesn’t sign him in the next few days.) In fact, they got back a couple of young fringe NHLers who may be of some use to them or their AHL team.

Less clear win for Chicago, but they got a guy who’s still a top-6 forward, at a cap hit they can easily afford for two years with no strings beyond that, for two unsigned RFAs that maybe they weren’t planning to qualify anyway. I suspect they’re hoping Hall can play on Bedard’s wing until they have somebody younger who can take that spot. That would be a bigger role than he had in Boston, but if he can handle it and aid in Bedard’s development, Davidson will look like a genius.
KennyBoi and rollie1967 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.
Why Green
Blackhawks fleece
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 4:55 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
He was Injured last year and his points per game suffered as a result. I think Boston is expecting him to continue to drop this year. Hence the cap dump.

We'll see.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Great deal for CHI, they get someone to play with Connor Bedard and give Hall a shot to show teams what he can do and hopefully for them they can try and get a 1st at the next TDL.

As of BOS, this is also good cuz they clear 6M in cap and get Ian Mitchell too. Now if I was them I would trade Ullmark for a solid return and than you have plenty of cap to work with and you still have Swayman as a solid starter.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 5:35 p.m.
hes dynamite
i wouldnt call it a fair deal, but its also a deal that both teams win. Boston makes room on their roster (though, is whoever they put into that space going to be as cheap and potentially productive as Hall?) and Chicago gets some real top 6 forwards too play with Bedard.

Hall's contract was a sweetheart deal for Boston, so being in a position that they needed to unload him seems like a pretty big problem for the Bruins. Chicago gave up fringe players they probably wont miss and/or could easily replace

Im most surprised that chicago wasnt on Hall's no trade list, and if he agreed to go, it also seems odd because Boston is still a juggernaut and while it might be enticing to play with a player like Bedard, that team is still many years away from being competitive. I think its clear to say Chicago is on the up, but I'd be surprised if anyone is picking them to make the playoffs, the team is full of holes and lacks talent across the board
Jun. 26, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
I say fair deal because Boston needed the cap relief.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: Jco5ta5
This is true. However, Mitchell and Regula are likely very good AHL Dmen and fringe NHL players. They're both young and might turn things around (a la Forsling) but Mitchell is an undersized, overhyped player. There's also the fact of contract limits. I didn't look but Hawks may need the contract space so they tossed in some freebies.

Boston's track record for developing players recently has been rather poor.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 5:48 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Interesting place to waive your NMC for...
Like this for the Hawks, Bedard gets a fellow 1st overall pick as a veteran mentor.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 6:04 p.m.
Wow surprised Hall waived/wanted to go to CHI.

Unless he knows something we don't...
Jun. 26, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
I think CHI just weren't as bad as they are rn when he signed the contract, wich would explain why CHi is not on his NMC list.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
lottery team fan
watch as chicago jackknifes their rebuild by signing foligno to an 8-year deal
Jun. 26, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
Honestly unless Boston is rebuilding and shedding cap, this makes little sense. Mitchell and Regula are likely not real NHL'ers any time soon

Boston lacks picks and prospects to make any big name player trade and the free agent class is weak this year.

Unless there is something im missing, i dont get it.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 6:23 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Honestly unless Boston is rebuilding and shedding cap, this makes little sense. Mitchell and Regula are likely not real NHL'ers any time soon

Boston lacks picks and prospects to make any big name player trade and the free agent class is weak this year.

Unless there is something im missing, i dont get it.

The only reason BOS would move Hall is to re-sign Bertuzzi, otherwise it doesn't make much sense considering how many forwards they have under contract.

If BOS only wanted cap space relief, they would've moved Reilly, Forbort & Grz before Hall.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 7:19 p.m.
mokumboi
Awesome, now the B's can afford to bring Krug back. squinty smile
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 8:01 p.m.
Kyle from Chicago
Tell me if you have heard this before the team Taylor hall is on is currently slated to pick first overall in the upcoming draft.
Jun. 26, 2023 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: KennyBoi
Wow surprised Hall waived/wanted to go to CHI.

He had a 16 team no-trade list in 2022-23 and a 10-team no trade list in 2023-24. Are we still in the 2022-23 contract year? If so, that's half of the league, so it does seem a bit surprising that Chicago landed in his top half. The top 22 seems a little more believable, but I suspect he doesn't go to a 10-team no-trade list until July 1. Maybe he's excited about the idea of playing with Bedard.
KennyBoi liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit