SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Oct. 2, 2023 at 10:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Hamonic NMC doing more dmg than it should

Never seen a 1.1m contract do so much damage jesus

Thompson, Docker, and Sokolov all could be gone and while not over the top wow thats 3 young depth pieces lost to keep some 1 year past his prime guy
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Yankees
Mets
Knicks
Nets
Jets
Giants
NYI
NYR

Woof woof - it's up to you NY - to s *ck!
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:09 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Hamonic NMC doing more dmg than it should

Never seen a 1.1m contract do so much damage jesus

Thompson, Docker, and Sokolov all could be gone and while not over the top wow thats 3 young depth pieces lost to keep some 1 year past his prime guy

You could blame the NMC on him for 1 of those guys not having a roster spot; but not all 3. How would putting Hamonic on waivers create 3 roster spots in the NHL for those guys?

They just got bit by having a bunch of young guys mature up to become borderline NHL players at the same age.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:19 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
You could blame the NMC on him for 1 of those guys not having a roster spot; but not all 3. How would putting Hamonic on waivers create 3 roster spots in the NHL for those guys?

They just got bit by having a bunch of young guys mature up to become borderline NHL players at the same age.

In general his 1.1m could be going to Pinto's money and his spot to a young player.

Not good to lose 3 guys and keep one old guy

Should have had Docker for the third pair, Lassi as the extra then waived MacEWEN and kept Sokolov up

Oh well if all 3 go and thrive with their new teams and OTT dont make it RIP Dorion

Pretty funny though in the end never seen a 1.1m deal do so much dmg
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Its the salary. His 1.1m could be going to Pinto's money.

Thanks to him and his NMC not only is there no spot but also no money to sign Pinto

Not good to lose 3 guys and keep one old guy

Pretty funny though in the end

There are much bigger salary problems than Hamonic.

Tarasenko $5 million this summer when they knew they had Pinto negotiations

$3.5 million tied up in Bobby Ryan, Del Zotto, and Colin White buyouts

Josh Norris getting an 8x$8m after only 2/3rds of a breakout season to be a 2C

Joseph and his 3x$3m deal

The whole Matt Murray deal and retention.

I get it; it is a partial roadblock but they can still use him as a 7th Defender . Supposedly they have a deal to move out salary but are negotiating with Pinto first. They didn't HAVE to put those guys thru waivers, they chose to do it in this order for some reason. Looks pretty clumsy from the outside tho
Saskleaf and pinslack liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
There are much bigger salary problems than Hamonic.

Tarasenko $5 million this summer

$3.5. million tied up in Bobby Ryan, Del Zotto, and Colin White buyouts

Josh Norris getting an 8x$8m after only 2/3rds of a breakout season to be a 2C

Joseph and his 3x$3m deal

The whole Matt Murray deal and retention.

I get it; it is a partial roadblock but they can still use him as a 7th Defender . Supposedly they have a deal to move out salary but are negotiating with Pinto first. They didn't HAVE to put those guys thru waivers, they chose to do it in this order for some reason. Looks pretty clumsy from the outside tho

In general Ott needed Tarasenko to replace Debrincat. They didnt need Hamonic as they had Thompson and Docker. Both cheaper and just the same

Yes you can argue ABC but that Hamonic deal gonna be the prime reason they lose 2 of their young RD prospects.

Like lets be real Docker could have been 6 and Thompson 7 now ones gone and the others probs gonna join.

Sure could have kept Hamonic but giving him that NMC big mistake as losing young guys as a result not good
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 11:25 p.m.
In general Ott needed Tarasenko to replace Debrincat. They didnt need Hamonic as they had Thompson and Docker. Both cheaper and just the same

Yes you can argue ABC but that Hamonic deal gonna be the prime reason they lose 2 of their young RD prospects.

Like lets be real Docker could have been 6 and Thompson 7 now ones gone and the others probs gonna join.

Sure could have kept Hamonic but giving him that NMC big mistake as losing young guys as a result not good

Agree with 1 and waiving Hamonic versus Bernard-Docker would only create $255k of additional cap space for Pinto.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 8:31 a.m.
Quoting: McGruff
Yankees
Mets
Knicks
Nets
Jets
Giants
NYI
NYR

Woof woof - it's up to you NY - to s *ck!

Buffalo Bills - Buffalo Sabres...those NY teams seem ok.
McGruff, NoVaSpartan and Tintin liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Buffalo Bills - Buffalo Sabres...those NY teams seem ok.

Thinking of the City...
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
Does anyone know if the new scouting reports added to CF (https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting-reports) have different rating systems for prospects vs NHLers? Just from looking at the first page of scouting reports they make no sense at all to me. How is Easton Cowan (85) better than Elias Lindholm (74)? Even if they have a difference scale for prospects how is Erik Karlsson (67) worse than Travis Hamonic (73)? And apparently Mathieu Joseph (76) is better than Travis Konecny (73)?
zk97 and Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 12:01 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Does anyone know if the new scouting reports added to CF (https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting-reports) have different rating systems for prospects vs NHLers? Just from looking at the first page of scouting reports they make no sense at all to me. How is Easton Cowan (85) better than Elias Lindholm (74)? Even if they have a difference scale for prospects how is Erik Karlsson (67) worse than Travis Hamonic (73)? And apparently Mathieu Joseph (76) is better than Travis Konecny (73)?

That's just because Cowan is the best player in the NHL
zk97 and Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 12:41 p.m.

Just from looking at the methodology (which is listed on all of the pages), it seems to reward well rounded players a lot, however, you shouldn’t just look at the overall stat, also look at projection
Oct. 3, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Just from looking at the methodology (which is listed on all of the pages), it seems to reward well rounded players a lot, however, you shouldn’t just look at the overall stat, also look at projection

I see the weighting system but if its that far off I dont think the overall rating is even a useful thing to display
Hammerwise liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
I see the weighting system but if its that far off I dont think the overall rating is even a useful thing to display

I think the tool is meant more for prospects than NHL players. I think reading the writing blurbs is probably the most useful part too
UpsideDownQue liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I think the tool is meant more for prospects than NHL players. I think reading the writing blurbs is probably the most useful part too

Fantilli is rated a 93
Bedards highest (5 reports) is an 83
“Generational talent” is even written in the reports.

The tool seems pointless.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Fantilli is rated a 93

Seems like it needs a Weighted System instead of every quality being valued at the.

maybe @BeterChiarelli or @Capfriendly could explain the tool more.
Devon Levi and Pavel Cajan have the exact same rating, 80, Levi is projected as a 1-B (outrageously low, lol) and Cajan is rated as a #3, what make that change?
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.
Seems like it needs a Weighted System instead of every quality being valued at the.

maybe BeterChiarelli or Capfriendly could explain the tool more.
Devon Levi and Pavel Cajan have the exact same rating, 80, Levi is projected as a 1-B (outrageously low, lol) and Cajan is rated as a #3, what make that change?

From what I understand, projection is the guy who makes the model’s opinion, while the overall is the model’s opinion (which I have no idea how it works and what the overall represents)
zk97 and BigBallsBriere liked this.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 8:51 p.m.
Ban Price trades

maybe BeterChiarelli or Capfriendly could explain the tool more.

I'm only a mall cop for the forums. I have no idea what the braintrust behind CapFriendly is up to or the rationale behind any of it all.

Probably for the best, those guys are WAY smarter than me.
BigBallsBriere, BuFfaLOFaN and zk97 liked this.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 8:36 a.m.
Wondering if any of you noticed but if you go to your profile, there is now a "premium settings" button where you can see CF now has subscription options
Oct. 4, 2023 at 8:43 a.m.

Quoting: yikes
Fantilli is rated a 93

maybe @BeterChiarelli or @Capfriendly could explain the tool more.

CapFriendly has now added "Note: Reports prior to Sept 2023 were originally graded out of ten, and also included additional categories that have been merged into the current categories.
This likely results in the overall ratings prior to 2023 being decreased in comparison to reports since Sept 2023. For an `Apples to Apples` comparison between players, we recommend only comparing reports before, or after, Sept 2023. Results will average out accordingly as more data is accumulated.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 9:42 a.m.
CapFriendly has now added "Note: Reports prior to Sept 2023 were originally graded out of ten, and also included additional categories that have been merged into the current categories.
This likely results in the overall ratings prior to 2023 being decreased in comparison to reports since Sept 2023. For an `Apples to Apples` comparison between players, we recommend only comparing reports before, or after, Sept 2023. Results will average out accordingly as more data is accumulated.

that makes a lot more sense, except the fact that Bedard and Matthews got the same rating in Sept 2023.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 10:23 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Wondering if any of you noticed but if you go to your profile, there is now a "premium settings" button where you can see CF now has subscription options

Interesting. CF definitely deserves it, excited to see what kind of features they come out with. Player cards like JFresh could be cool 👀
Oct. 4, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

private premium forum coming soon...

interesting
zk97, Bobcat205 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 4, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
private premium forum coming soon...

interesting

I wonder what that would entail. Would we have stuff we don't usually have (permission to swear, embedding videos saved to your computer, etc.), or is it just "the regular forums but more exclusive"?
Oct. 4, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
WentWughes
Everyone from Yesterday cleared
kdawg32086 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll