SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Ottawa Senators signed Vladimir Tarasenko (1 Year / $5,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 27, 2023 at 8:17 p.m.
Majors and minors
Undecided right now****** mediocre shouldn't be a goal.
STL_Skeptic liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 8:46 p.m.
I see vlad wanted comeback to home, and signed discount deal (OTT traded for david rundblad their 1st round pick, which STL used to draft tarasenko).
Jul. 27, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
Bedard23
They hyping up mid again
Jul. 27, 2023 at 8:53 p.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
Considering they could have just signed DeBrincat whose younger and better, not so sure about this. Also have to wonder what this means for Pinto.

As for the player himself, this feels a little high. He's got injury issues, but when he's in the lineup he's great. 50 points in 69 games. I don't think he's the goal scorer he used to be with just 18 goals last year. Really confused as to why they didn't just re-sign Cat.

Did you miss the part where Debrincat said he wouldn't re-sign in Ottawa? LOL
sarwahyper liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 8:57 p.m.
Quoting: Jdb9831

Guy is special.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:01 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Edited Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:55 p.m.
Meh... Makes Ottawa better, question is, how much?

Edit: it is funny that Tarasenko's new team is the one he last pulled the one hand tuck on
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:05 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
Dorion when he realizes he needs to sign Shane Pinto with 32k left in cap space.[/img]

And they still don't have a backup goalie.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Not a big fan of this. I voted yes but I am changing my mind. Tarasenko is not very good defensively and how are they going to re-sign Shane Pinto?
STL_Skeptic liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge

You mean they have two backup goalies..Forsberg and Korpisalo.
sarwahyper, CD282, caniac06 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
Wow big signing!
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:37 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Lets goooo!!!!!!!!!!
Jul. 27, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: Jdb9831

It's true that he said that, but he was a RFA so they could have forced him to stay for one more year, which is how long they have Tarasenko for, so it's actually not unreasonable to say that they could have kept Debrincat instead.

I agree that Tarasenko is probably going to be a downgrade from Debrincat, but I still think they did the right thing. Keeping Debrincat for another year would have cost them significantly more than $5M, and they would have got nothing for him when he left, unless they traded him at the deadline, which they would probably do only if they're out of playoff contention. Instead, they traded Debrincat for a package similar to what they likely would have got for him at the deadline, and used some of the cap space they gained from that trade to sign his replacement without giving up anything. And, if they're out of playoff contention at the deadline, they may be able to trade Tarasenko and pick up another 1st-round pick if he gives them a couple of teams he's willing to waive his no-trade clause for.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 10:15 p.m.
Hes not the same player he was just a few years ago, so the term makes sense- albeit he has to stay healthy and have a good year to justify the 5mil, but I voted NO simply because this screws them against the cap. theyre short 3 skaters for a 23 man roster and havent signed Pinto. Unless a big contract is going to LTIR that we havent heard....somebody with a decent salary is got to go to give them some depth. If it means losing Joseph... Im not sure thats a good move.
STL_Skeptic liked this.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 10:16 p.m.
and proud of it
Ok
Jul. 27, 2023 at 10:34 p.m.
Crazy to think Zucker got more money lol

This signing makes the DeBrincat deal a little easier to swallow
Jul. 27, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Atlantic Conference is going to be a beast next season

And in year or two....even more beastly with Sabres/Wings and maybe Sens and Habs taking steps forward.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 10:42 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: soft_dump_in_the_corner
DeBrincat refused to sign in Ottawa.
That's why they traded him.

Was DeBrincat going tot sit out the year? He most likely would have signed as Senator on his QO, and be a UFA in 2024.
Now the Senator did trade to get something for him before UFA thought they could have waited till TDL, but his QO was going to be I believe 6.9m, which was big cap issue for the Sens.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 11:32 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Caniac2000
Considering they could have just signed DeBrincat whose younger and better, not so sure about this. Also have to wonder what this means for Pinto.

As for the player himself, this feels a little high. He's got injury issues, but when he's in the lineup he's great. 50 points in 69 games. I don't think he's the goal scorer he used to be with just 18 goals last year. Really confused as to why they didn't just re-sign Cat.

They only could have signed Debrincat to a 1 year deal. At the absolute cheapest, that would have come in at roughly 3M more than this signing. They also would have lost out on a 1st round pick. He wasn't signing long term, and they could not fit him in long term anyways. Your post is comparing apples to oranges.

What would you rather take? 1 year of Debrincat+750k replacement tweener (roughly 8.5M in cap space between them) or 1 year of Tarasenko+Kubalik+1st Round pick and still have another 1M+ in cap space?
Jul. 27, 2023 at 11:32 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: CSStrowbridge

Forsberg is the backup goalie just the other teams have a special agreement not to shoot the puck anywhere near his knees.
Jul. 27, 2023 at 11:43 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy
Who goes now ?
Someone not healthy ?

The team currently has a 20 player roster that costs about 82.6M.

Pinto is a 10.2(c) RFA. He has no real leverage. His only leverage is to sit out, which would be idiotic. He has a single pro season under his belt due to past injuries. It isn't outlandish for a 10.2(c) RFA to sign for very little, it just doesn't happen often because teams value buying up term as early as possible.

Pinto could sign 1 year at about 900k, and the Senators would be compliant with a 21 player roster. Sokolov will get 775k-975k if he signs. If he makes the roster, they send down whoever he beat out, and they become compliant.

There are four possible scenarios:
1 - The team intends to use a 21 player roster to start the season, Pinto signs a 1 year deal.
2 - Norris or Forsberg have had a set back, will start on LTIR. (Seems unlikely given that this Tarasenko thing has been in the works for a while)
3 - Batherson is suspended due to the Hockey Canada stuff, and it will come out tomorrow (Friday is when bad news gets dropped). Dorion likely knew this was coming, but couldn't sign his replacement until it was a sure thing because he would not be able to get the team into compliance if something changed at the last hour.
4 - The Senators intend to trade someone. No one really makes sense. Maybe flip Brannstrom for a cheaper veteran pro who can fit the bottom pair better. They were tied to Dumba all last season, and he is still a free agent. Maybe Brannstrom (2M AAV) somewhere for a 4th to 7th round pick, and then Dumba signed to a 1 year contract in the low 1M range. That would free up enough to dress a 22nd player.
STL_Skeptic, HockeyScotty, CD282 and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 1:18 a.m.
Quoting: JoeThornton
Who are the scrubs that voted no lol

Hey Joe! I thought you would know that Vladi is the real scrub! You played against the guy! 😂

I’m one of the people that voted no, and here’s why...
anyone that followed his tenure with the Blues will tell you this: MOST OF HIS SHOTS DO NOT EVEN HIT THE NET! Even the great Brett Hull has been quoted making this same critique. I don’t know if there are any advanced analytics on this, but in my opinion, he’s not as great of a shooter as most people think. He rarely shoots the one-timer, and is kind of predictable. Although he was an important part of our one championship, he has never been a vocal leader/locker room presence. When our GM decided not to resign our SC winning captain (Petro), little Vladi thought he should have automatically been the next in line. I guess he thought it was based off of tenure, because he never put in the work to earn it like O’Reilly did. He has not been the same since his last injury, and is scared to get hit. He is also a defensive liability... and I think he belongs in the KHL!

With that said... I hope he proves me wrong!
Timmy & Brady are just as good (if not better), as Thomas & Buchnevich... or maybe he will gel with Giroux on the 2nd line. But... if he ever gets dropped down to the third line, we will see a very pouty Vladi!
Jul. 28, 2023 at 1:22 a.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
Makes the senators much better

I disagree... it just gives Zub someone to talk to! 😂
TheRealisticGuy liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 2:06 a.m.
hes dynamite
I dont see how this is a bad deal. Even if Tarasenko regresses (a definite possibility) its 1 year, and theres not alot of other targets that this money could have been spent on. The upside of this deal is pretty obvious
sarwahyper liked this.
Jul. 28, 2023 at 3:44 a.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
How are they going to get full roster without going over the cap?
Jul. 28, 2023 at 4:51 a.m.
Quoting: budgeteam
Forsberg is the backup goalie just the other teams have a special agreement not to shoot the puck anywhere near his knees.

Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
You mean they have two backup goalies..Forsberg and Korpisalo.

Quoting: budgeteam

So they have five goalies, one who started last season on the IR and another who ended the season on LTIR, plus three AHLers who have a combined 26 NHL games in their careers. If they just had average goaltending, then they would be a playoff contender.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit