Forums/Armchair-GM

An argument supporting Monahans value

Created by: KentMcNally
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 20, 2024
Published: Jan. 20, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Monahan is on pace for 51 points this year. That production comes from playing 2nd line center for Montreal, which has a very tough time scoring. He is not playing with high end 2nd line talent. If he had more talented linemates it is not unreasonable to assume he could have had a 60 point season this year (only 9 more points than his current pace).

I believe that 50 to 60 points is decent #2 center production for a good playoff team.

Last season Carolina was a good team and went into the playoffs with Kotkaniemi as the 2nd highest scoring center with 43 points. Carolina was viewed as a team with a shot at going deep in the playoff.

Colorado went into the playoffs with J.T. Compher as their 2nd line center with 52 points. Colorado was viewed as a contender.

Boston's first line center was Bergeron with 59 points. Boston was a contender.

Dallas had Domi at #2 center. He had 56 points.

The Rangers had Trochek, who finished with 64 points (close to what Monahan could probably do with better linemates).

Florida went to the Cup finals with Sam Bennett as their #2 centre. He had 40 points.
Vegas won the Cup with their 2 centres (Stephenson and Karlsson --after Eichel) having 65 and 53 points -- again achievable numbers for Monahan if he had better linemates.

So far Monhaan has 28 points in Montreal. Meanwhile, Carolina, Boston, Colorado and Winnipeg (all top 10 teams in the league) have #2 centres who have fewer points than Monahan. Monahan is also good on faceoffs. If the contending teams want to try to load up and make a Cup run they need to sacrifice something in a trade.

In the end, it appears there is a strong argument (not necessarily an iron-clad argument) to be made that Monahan could be a 2nd line centre option for a team that is a contending playoff team. The numbers add up.

Any team that drops a first round pick for him has to assume they will make the playoffs and win at least 1 round, which would put their first round pick at #25 overall at best (in a draft that I have not seen described as particularly deep). Therefore, giving up a first round pick for a team that wants to go deep in the playoffs should not be viewed as a tremendous sacrifice.

If the Habs do get that pick in the 25 to 32 range I think they should use that in an off season trade package to either move up in the draft (depending on where they land in the lottery) or trade for a young prospect (i.e. pick #25 + Jordan Harris + Owen Beck for "something").

Just my thoughts.
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (COL)
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
CAR
    Sean Monahan
    MTL
    1. 2025 1st round pick (BOS)
    BOS
      Sean Monahan
      MTL
      1. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
      WPG
        Sean Monahan
        Buyouts
        Retained Salary Transactions
        DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the CAR
        Logo of the WPG
        Logo of the COL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MIN
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the SJS
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the EDM
        Logo of the WSH
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the CGY
        Logo of the BOS
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the PIT
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the VAN
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the DET
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        Logo of the MTL
        ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
        22$83,500,000$75,907,083$1,170,000$4,310,000$7,592,917
        Left WingCentreRight Wing
        Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
        $7,850,000$7,850,000
        LW, RW
        UFA - 8
        $7,875,000$7,875,000
        C
        UFA - 7
        $6,500,000$6,500,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC, NMC
        UFA - 4
        $1,100,000$1,100,000
        LW, RW
        RFA - 2
        $5,500,000$5,500,000
        RW, LW
        M-NTC
        UFA - 4
        $835,000$835,000 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
        LW, RW
        RFA - 3
        $1,700,000$1,700,000
        C
        UFA - 2
        $3,400,000$3,400,000
        RW, LW
        UFA - 2
        $812,500$812,500
        LW, RW
        UFA - 2
        $775,000$775,000
        C
        UFA - 1
        $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
        RW, LW
        RFA - 2
        $775,000$775,000
        RW, LW
        RFA - 1
        Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
        $4,875,000$4,875,000
        LD
        M-NTC
        UFA - 3
        $3,500,000$3,500,000
        RD
        UFA - 2
        $1,925,000$1,925,000
        G
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $1,400,000$1,400,000
        LD/RD
        RFA - 2
        $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
        RD
        RFA - 1
        $1,000,000$1,000,000
        G
        UFA - 1
        $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
        LD
        RFA - 2
        $766,667$766,667
        RD
        UFA - 2
        $890,000$890,000
        G
        RFA - 2
        $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
        LD/RD
        RFA - 2
        ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
        $4,450,000$4,450,000
        C
        M-NTC
        UFA - 2
        $10,500,000$10,500,000
        G
        NMC
        UFA - 3
        $3,362,500$3,362,500
        C, RW
        RFA - 3
        $3,250,000$3,250,000
        LW
        UFA - 1
        $2,900,000$2,900,000
        C, LW
        RFA - 4
        $762,500$762,500
        RD
        UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
        • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
        Jan. 20 at 9:32 a.m.
        Quoting: KentMcNally
        I am not saying he is as good as Bergeron by any means. I was trying to say (although I did not say it explicitly) is that he is a good 2nd line option because he provides secondary scoring. Winning faceoffs is also a key thing because in the playoffs teams want that guy who can win faceoffs if their first option guy gets kicked out of the circle late in close games.

I agree that he is probably not needed in Edmonton

Then I'd suggest you to add such details to your argument from the outset. I agree that there are other aspects that lend credence to the case for him being worth a 1st, but I'm just not convinced it's a compelling enough case under normal conditions. That being said, deadline deals often occur outside of the realm of "normal conditions".
        turtlemountain liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 9:38 a.m.
        I like this thread so far. Good discussion.

Others have pointed out the flaw in basing value off of point production considering PP usage, but I also think it’s important to consider team composition and what role a 2C plays.

If your 1C is Patrice Bergeron, a guy who won a billion Selkes, your 2C probably won’t be relied on to play heavy match up minutes.

If you’re a team like Vegas or Carolina that rolls 4 very productive lines: having a formal 2C is less paramount. I’d argue that Karlsson and Stephenson were both 2Cs. And Carolina has like… four 4th lines and somehow it works. There are different ways to build a productive roster.

For a team like Colorado: your 1C is Nathan MacKinnon. Elite offense, but not necessarily the best defensive player. The ideal complementary player is a defensively responsible 2C. Kadri played that role well. Compher is more of a 3C, but he kinda fit that mold.

Monahan is not that type of player. Maybe he could be a fit on a team like Colorado, but I’d argue it’d be more of a 3C scoring role and Colorado would force Colton to be the defensively responsible C you put out to protect a lead in the 3rd period.

I think that’s part of why you see many many Avs fans reject Monahan for a high pick range. Monahan wouldn’t be bad necessarily, but he would come with question marks for Colorado. Maybe another team where his skill set fits their needs better would pay a premium. But for me, I would be disappointed if Colorado did a Monahan for a 1st+ trade.
        Anus_McLeod, SupremeBone, TJTwolf and 4 others liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 9:43 a.m.
        Quoting: HockeyManiac95
        Yes. For some time I agreed, but then I did some research. Monahan this year has 28 points. How many are 5v5? 15. The other 13 are on special teams (11 on PP, 2 on PK). So how many more 5v5 points does he have than PP? It comes out to a grand total of 4. That's it. As noted by others in this acgm, he will not have those kinds of PP minutes in Colorado. He just won't. This is not to discount those 11 points. Points are good. I'm just saying that one of his strengths would essentially be unusable.

And even if he does get some PP2 time (he sure as heck isn't getting PP1 time, how often do you think he'd score within 30 seconds or less (about the amount of time Colorado's PP2 is out)? I'd say not as often. Therefore, his scoring would decrease, which in turn decreases his value. I'm sure he could make up for it in ways (between Lehky/Drouin and Nuke), but again, he becomes less valuable in that way. Even that argument probably wouldn't work either cause we thought the same of RyJo at first.

I think a reasonable place to land is maybe a first with some pretty tall conditions (e.g. conference finals and games played/whatever by Monahan). Otherwise its a second. Still not sure it's Colorado that goes for it, but I could see it working for someone.
        Andy_Dick, TJTwolf, JayTea and 1 other person liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 9:44 a.m.
        I think most teams mtl trys to trade Monahan for a 1st tend to point out the issues that they have with that valuation. Instead of changing or understanding that "hey maybe this team doesn't make sense/maybe a 1st isn't available from this team for Monahan" they say all the reasons over again and say "you should be thankful we don't ask for more"

If I had to guess what Monahan gets it has to be a copp lite trade. Remove one of the 2nds, 2024 2nd that upgrades if team x makes to conference finals and Monahan plays 50% of games and a prospect.
        Jan. 20 at 9:48 a.m.
        Bcarlo25
        a first for monahan is a pipe dream.
        TJTwolf, Newgod77 and Andy_Dick liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 9:51 a.m.
        Quoting: Howie
        I think most teams mtl trys to trade Monahan for a 1st tend to point out the issues that they have with that valuation. Instead of changing or understanding that "hey maybe this team doesn't make sense/maybe a 1st isn't available from this team for Monahan" they say all the reasons over again and say "you should be thankful we don't ask for more"

If I had to guess what Monahan gets it has to be a copp lite trade. Remove one of the 2nds, 2024 2nd that upgrades if team x makes to conference finals and Monahan plays 50% of games and a prospect.

That or bringing up Lehkonen and Chiarot for some reason.

This discourse happens every year, whether it be for Drouin or Hoffman or Price or Monahan or Chiarot or Anderson.

I think this thread has been good, nice to see everyone go deep on establishing their position vs asserting a player’s value and digging their heels in.
        TJTwolf and NMAvsFan liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 9:58 a.m.
        Quoting: turtlemountain

This discourse happens every year, whether it be for Drouin or Hoffman or Price or Monahan or Chiarot or Anderson.

I think this thread has been good, nice to see everyone go deep on establishing their position vs asserting a player’s value and digging their heels in.

I feel like no team really has Monahan as their #1 target as teams that need a center (Colorado, Boston, Winnipeg, Vancouver, rangers, oilers) all would love to aim higher for an impact player (lindholm esk). Teams don't like giving up 1sts unless they get an impact player (o'reilly with his awards, orlov, etc) and not on a player who is most likely a backup option. Mtl likely trades Monahan before lindholm which would be a mistake as some team may bite the bullet on Monahan but I feel like any team that does will be wanting that much more of him just because he got a 1st when he likely isn't worth one besides trade deadline circumstances
        KentMcNally, TJTwolf, NMAvsFan and 1 other person liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 10:00 a.m.
        Banned
        Quoting: Bcarlo25
        a first for monahan is a pipe dream.

Keep this energy please after the TDL. Chiarot, Lehkonen, Kulak all went for more than said here by 95% of Habs fans.
        Jan. 20 at 10:12 a.m.
        Quoting: turtlemountain

Only took 2 posts for it to happen!
        SupremeBone, TJTwolf, NMAvsFan and 1 other person liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:12 a.m.
        The one element I'd add to all the other good points as to why Monahan isn't a good fit (for the Avs at least) is to (from the Avs perspective at least) negate the point that Habs fans fall back on EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Guys like Chiarot may have fetched a first. It was an overpay then and it didn't work out. I won't even go into Lehky as that's apples and akebi. Drouin and the arguments in that regard made by Habs fans? Apples and *insert another fruit here that is utterly different*. As a non-Habs example remember the whopping overpay Tampa made for Jeannot from Nashville? Those deals SHOULD make GMs more wary of making a similar mistake and if there is one front office that has proven themselves lairy of that kind of thing it's the one in Colorado. Deadline rentals (or even longer term additions in the immediate circumstances) rarely if ever make a huge difference. Even additions prior for that matter. The definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over and expect different results. Every year teams do it and most front offices fail to learn. It's almost a 'Well I have to be seen to do something at the deadline' mentality. So don't get me wrong there may be a front office foolish enough to do it, but Monahan simply isn't worth a first, at least not to the Avs......and that is the point when it comes to the Avs, the only team I'm going to speak for in a direct fashion as, if I'm honest, I don't have enough knowledge of other front offices in any depth (we all tend to know more about our own team than any other by the definition of being fans). If GMCM does that (and who of us truly knows?) then he's certainly more foolish than I think he is.
        NMAvsFan and Howie liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:13 a.m.
        Except 40% of his point production is on the power play and stylistically he is painfully to like RyJo and let’s face it he isn’t playing on PP1 with COL, and COL’s biggest problem right now is goal tending not 2c. They are 2nd in the league in scoring and 18th in GAA, and 26th in SV%, they need to address the situation in goal far before they expend assets on a position that is being manned just fine by Colton. COL should be far more interested in Allen imo.
        NMAvsFan and TJTwolf liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:20 a.m.
        Representing the 505
        Comparing Monahan and Compher strictly on points ignores everything else each player does and is. JTC is a much better skater than Monahan which means a lot on a team that transitions quickly and likes to play off the rush. JTC also PK's a LOT more than Monahan does and did; he was a primary PK guy for the Avs while Monahan is a secondary guy; for example, JTC has over twice as many PK minutes this season as Monahan in 5 fewer games.

All of this to say is that Monahan can't possibly be expected to fill the role JTC - a guy who isn't really a 2C, either - did for the Avs so, to the Avs at least, he isn't worth a 1st. I'd say he might be worth something less to fill the 3C role so that Colton can move to 2C but, given the guys he'd be playing with - Wood and O'Connor, two good, fast skaters - I'm not even sure that would work. I just don't think Monahan is a fit for the Avs roster and it is a near certainty he wouldn't be a difference-maker for them. If they're going to trade a 1st, they need someone that fits their style and the role of 2C better than Monahan.
        TJTwolf liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:24 a.m.
        Fall River Habs
        Quoting: Xqb15a
        Except 40% of his point production is on the power play and stylistically he is painfully to like RyJo and let’s face it he isn’t playing on PP1 with COL, and COL’s biggest problem right now is goal tending not 2c. They are 2nd in the league in scoring and 18th in GAA, and 26th in SV%, they need to address the situation in goal far before they expend assets on a position that is being manned just fine by Colton. COL should be far more interested in Allen imo.

Quoting: Xqb15a

Would you do a Monahan and Allen trade for a first round pick (perhaps with a bad short term contract coming back to make the financials work for Colorado)?
        Jan. 20 at 11:29 a.m.
        Oh I know there are those people out there, but there are also reasonable fans who have legitimate conversations about their teams too.

I usually do not respond to the “My GM laughs at your GM, hangs up the phone and blocks the number” commentators, because what is the point in trying to argue with that type of mindset?

Much like wasting time commenting on a trade proposal that’s been turned down countless times, but Habs fans keep posting out of pure stubbornness or ignorance..
        It should tell you something that the only ones who agree with your valuation on Monahan are other Habscfans, and almost every other fan tells you he’s not worth a 1st…but you all keep posting, arguing, and telling us we’re biased and wrong… like children throwing a tantrum when they don’t get their way.

Jets Decline, laugh, hang up and block your number

WE DON’T WANT OR NEED MONAHAN…HE’S NOT WORTH THAT
        Jan. 20 at 11:32 a.m.
        Fall River Habs
        Quoting: TJTwolf
        The one element I'd add to all the other good points as to why Monahan isn't a good fit (for the Avs at least) is to (from the Avs perspective at least) negate the point that Habs fans fall back on EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Guys like Chiarot may have fetched a first. It was an overpay then and it didn't work out. I won't even go into Lehky as that's apples and akebi. Drouin and the arguments in that regard made by Habs fans? Apples and *insert another fruit here that is utterly different*. As a non-Habs example remember the whopping overpay Tampa made for Jeannot from Nashville? Those deals SHOULD make GMs more wary of making a similar mistake and if there is one front office that has proven themselves lairy of that kind of thing it's the one in Colorado. Deadline rentals (or even longer term additions in the immediate circumstances) rarely if ever make a huge difference. Even additions prior for that matter. The definition of insanity is to repeat the same thing over and over and expect different results. Every year teams do it and most front offices fail to learn. It's almost a 'Well I have to be seen to do something at the deadline' mentality. So don't get me wrong there may be a front office foolish enough to do it, but Monahan simply isn't worth a first, at least not to the Avs......and that is the point when it comes to the Avs, the only team I'm going to speak for in a direct fashion as, if I'm honest, I don't have enough knowledge of other front offices in any depth (we all tend to know more about our own team than any other by the definition of being fans). If GMCM does that (and who of us truly knows?) then he's certainly more foolish than I think he is.

I hear what you are saying and I do not totally disagree, but what you said about GMs overpaying every year at the trade deadline bolsters the argument that Montreal will get someone to pay the price, especially after Lindholm’s situation is somehow resolved.
        Hopefully Montreal waits out the Lindholm situation in order to gain leverage with other teams and does not simply trade Monahan too early.
        Jan. 20 at 11:35 a.m.
        Representing the 505
        Would you do a Monahan and Allen trade for a first round pick (perhaps with a bad short term contract coming back to make the financials work for Colorado)?

I can tell you, first of all, that the Avs just do not trade 1sts; it's kind of a rule of sorts for them. I mean, they did trade one to get Kuemper when they were in a serious bind for a goalie but that is the exception, not the rule. What you do have going for you is that Allen has another year left but you'd need to retain close to half to make it work for the Avs. You did mention taking back a bad contract so you'd also have to take Johansen. In terms of value, I'd say the following could work for the Avs but, like I said, they don't really trade 1sts:

To MTL:

2024 1st
        Johansen
        Behrens or Olausson

To COL:

Allen ($1M retained)
        Monahan

And that's more to get Allen (retained) and get rid of RyJo than it is to get Monahan, who isn't a good fit for the Avs.
        TJTwolf liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:39 a.m.
        Fall River Habs
        Quoting: NMAvsFan
        I can tell you, first of all, that the Avs just do not trade 1sts; it's kind of a rule of sorts for them. I mean, they did trade one to get Kuemper when they were in a serious bind for a goalie but that is the exception, not the rule. What you do have going for you is that Allen has another year left but you'd need to retain close to half to make it work for the Avs. You did mention taking back a bad contract so you'd also have to take Johansen. In terms of value, I'd say the following could work for the Avs but, like I said, they don't really trade 1sts:

To MTL:

2024 1st
        Johansen
        Behrens or Olausson

To COL:

Allen ($1M retained)
        Monahan

And that's more to get Allen (retained) and get rid of RyJo than it is to get Monahan, who isn't a good fit for the Avs.

I would think Montreal would do that. (But as you said in your post, who truly knows? Ha!)
        NMAvsFan liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:46 a.m.
        I hear what you are saying and I do not totally disagree, but what you said about GMs overpaying every year at the trade deadline bolsters the argument that Montreal will get someone to pay the price, especially after Lindholm’s situation is somehow resolved.
        Hopefully Montreal waits out the Lindholm situation in order to gain leverage with other teams and does not simply trade Monahan too early.

My point was exactly that. SOMEBODY. MAY. be stupid enough. I'm more than happy to concede that. There are some guys who get GMs jobs who I would fire immediately if (in pipe dream land I was a billionaire and) I bought an NHL team (pretty sure I'm not alone in that and anybody who has worked in ANY kind of business in management must have similar thoughts, it's an element that isn't related to being a fan or ACGM, it's just looking at some of their decisions). Some GMs are utter cretins. God only knows how they keep getting hired! The Avs front office, from Sakic's start at the helm to date, have proven to be very shrewd on the whole. That's why I say purely from the PoV of the Avs, though I do think a lot more of the newer GMs are starting to learn too. The Avs though are (imo) unlikely to be that team that gives up a first for Monahan and that is the frustration from the side of things, where Avs fans are concerned, when EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. another Monahan to the Avs for a 1st trade comes up. There's little evidence to suggest it would be a move they would make.
        Jan. 20 at 11:48 a.m.
        Quoting: NMAvsFan

To MTL:

2024 1st
        Johansen
        Behrens or Olausson

To COL:

Allen ($1M retained)
        Monahan

I was about to reply with something similar though I think that 2nd year of Allen is a negative to the Avs rather than a positive which is why I don't think it works for the Avs.
        turtlemountain liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 11:53 a.m.
        Representing the 505
        I would think Montreal would do that. (But as you said in your post, who truly knows? Ha!)

To me, there is a lot of value in covering the backup G issue for another year and getting a little over $1M in cap back for next season. They might ask for max retention because that nets them another $925K in space which might get you another low pick or C-level prospect like Beaucage. But I do think it's far more likely they save that pick to either use it or make a trade in the offseason that addresses their issues in a more long-term fashion.
        Jan. 20 at 11:58 a.m.
        Representing the 505
        I was about to reply with something similar though I think that 2nd year of Allen is a negative to the Avs rather than a positive which is why I don't think it works for the Avs.

To me, it resolves the backup G issue for next season, too, so it's a positive of sorts; not a perfect situation, though. If Montreal would retain half, then they have a veteran backup at $1.925M for one season which is just a little less than what they were paying Frankie so it fits plus they get almost $2M in cap freed up to address other needs. Trade Manson and now they have another $4.5M in space which could help them fill out the roster more effectively, especially up front.
        Jan. 20 at 11:59 a.m.
        Fall River Habs
        My point was exactly that. SOMEBODY. MAY. be stupid enough. I'm more than happy to concede that. There are some guys who get GMs jobs who I would fire immediately if (in pipe dream land I was a billionaire and) I bought an NHL team (pretty sure I'm not alone in that and anybody who has worked in ANY kind of business in management must have similar thoughts, it's an element that isn't related to being a fan or ACGM, it's just looking at some of their decisions). Some GMs are utter cretins. God only knows how they keep getting hired! The Avs front office, from Sakic's start at the helm to date, have proven to be very shrewd on the whole. That's why I say purely from the PoV of the Avs, though I do think a lot more of the newer GMs are starting to learn too. The Avs though are (imo) unlikely to be that team that gives up a first for Monahan and that is the frustration from the side of things, where Avs fans are concerned, when EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. another Monahan to the Avs for a 1st trade comes up. There's little evidence to suggest it would be a move they would make.

I would not get too worried about the fact that every day you see “Monahan to Colorado for a first rounder” trade proposal. Trade proposals happen to every team that some fans don’t like. As you know, it is not going to stop until the deadline is over. The trades usually are meant to start a discussion and not to aggravate a specific fan base (except the true troll posts that people put up that are ridiculous).
        Andy_Dick liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 12:01 p.m.

Honestly I think Monahan is such a poor fit COL shouldn’t even consider him.
        TJTwolf liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 12:14 p.m.
        I would not get too worried about the fact that every day you see “Monahan to Colorado for a first rounder” trade proposal. Trade proposals happen to every team that some fans don’t like. As you know, it is not going to stop until the deadline is over. The trades usually are meant to start a discussion and not to aggravate a specific fan base (except the true troll posts that people put up that are ridiculous).

Oh, I don't worry, I've got far worse things to worry about in life, but it does get kinda tiresome lol.
        KentMcNally and turtlemountain liked this.
        Jan. 20 at 1:00 p.m.
        I Love J Boqvist
        Monahan gets a lot of time on the power play, but he isn’t anything special there. He isn’t an engine, he isn’t the driver. He’s the netfront guy and his job is to take advantage of the work others do. It’s a job every team fills pretty easily.

He kills penalties at a below average level. Again most teams already have 5-6 guys at or above that level.

His 5v5 play has been poor, both offensively and defensively.

So if you aren’t gonna help a team on the power play, penalty kill, or 5v5, how are you helping?

To create a post please Login or Register
        Question:
        Options:
        Add Option
        Submit Poll