SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(SJS/VGK) - Hertl, 2025 3rd (SJS), 2027 3rd (SJS) for Edstrom, 2025 1st (VGK)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 8 at 4:56 p.m.
Both Grier’s (Miami Dolphins & San Jose Sharks) are terrible at their jobs.
Mar. 8 at 4:59 p.m.
Good nerd
VGK fans help me out here. Was center a position of concern? Does this make it harder to replace Martinez in the offseason? Does it make a Hanafin extension impossible? And doesn't this all but send either Marchessault or Stephenson packing due to the cap?

I think VGK soundly wins the trade with those 3rds going back, but why does Vegas make this move from a strategy standpoint? Are they going to try and flip him in a year or something?
Mar. 8 at 5:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
VGK be winning the cup
Mar. 8 at 5:12 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
This is a Fair Deal that SJS win in the long-run. VEG gets a decent player with term but he’s 30, so likely only has a couple decent season left in him whereas SJS get a 1st + Top Prospect, which may become a Star and they open up Cap Space to sign a Younger Player that fits their rebuild

Not a Fan of Grier as a Manager, but I don’t mind this one for the Sharks

I agree. He's not worth $6.75 million now and he likely won't be getting better. A 1st and a good prospect for a bad deal and two thirds seems really good.
KingofRnR liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:19 p.m.
Hertl will likely return to form on a better line.
Hanifin will be playing for his $70M retirement.
Mantha will be playing for one last overpayment.
Eichel can't stop proving the Buffalo media wrong.
Marchessault won't let anyone take his Conn Smyth.
Pietrangelo can finally stop carrying his pairs defense.
Theodore can slide down and play a more offensive role.
Stone will be rested and ready for game one of the playoffs.

If you're an Edmonton fan ... this trade's gonna Hertl.
If you're an Vancouver fan ... this trade's gonna Hertl Ott.
AK50, worldwidesensei, Andy_Dick and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:19 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Gonna be in minority here I think but San Jose did well.

Edstrom is a good prospect and has raised his stock since his DY, 1st is a good asset. Hertl had no worth to San Jose. They were so far ****ed by Doug WIlson, that Hertl had no chance of playoff games with San Jose for the duration of his contract the moment he signed it. Therefore he was no worth to San Jose. The only bad part of it is the retention slot being burned up. However this was the most he was ever gonna get for Hertl most likely.

Just another move that puts San Jose ahead in their rebuild.
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:22 p.m.
I can't wait till VGK finds a way to add A. Matthews in the near future.
Mar. 8 at 5:25 p.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
Hertl will likely return to form on a better line.

Why? He will be further down the depth chart on a team with better options. He's been injured three times this season. He's 30 and his contract lasts another six years. He has no reason to put his body as risk for a paycheck.

Granted, Vegas has under $70 million on the ice against the Canucks in their previous game, so they needed bodies, but I don't see how this is an amazing deal for the Sharks.
Mar. 8 at 5:31 p.m.
Jay27
Anybody else hoping Vegas falls flat on their faces in the first round this year?
rollie1967 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 5:38 p.m.
Fair deal. Hertl is much more useful to Vegas than to San Jose, and San Jose gets a few decent assets and, even more importantly, some much-needed cap space for the next six seasons. Grier has had to do a lot of work to create room after Wilson left the team with such an awful Capfriendly page.
Mar. 8 at 5:41 p.m.
when will league do something about cap circumvention? Vegas are doing it for a second year in a row
Mar. 8 at 5:48 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Gonna be in minority here I think but San Jose did well.

Edstrom is a good prospect and has raised his stock since his DY, 1st is a good asset. Hertl had no worth to San Jose. They were so far ****ed by Doug WIlson, that Hertl had no chance of playoff games with San Jose for the duration of his contract the moment he signed it. Therefore he was no worth to San Jose. The only bad part of it is the retention slot being burned up. However this was the most he was ever gonna get for Hertl most likely.

Just another move that puts San Jose ahead in their rebuild.

Edstrom is 3rd line garbage.
Mar. 8 at 5:49 p.m.
Quoting: CapFriendly
Trade confirmed: [url=/teams/sharks]San Jose Sharks[/url] - [url=/teams/goldenknights]Vegas Golden Knights[/url]

I think this is a pretty fair trade. Sharks get a 19 yr old Swede who has good size and a lot of upside plus another 1st round pick next year which just complements their other 17 draft picks in the next 2 years! They get rid of $6.75 M of cap hit on a guy who has been injury prone and starting to age and decline a little bit. I think Hertl has 2-3 good years left 50-60 point seasons in him before his hips, knee really start to catch up to him.

The biggest thing I don’t like about this is SJ retention … even 17% is still too much. Hertl’s contract and even more important his term of 6 years left really hindered them here, + the fact he had a NMC so he likely told SJ he would only go to a contender in the west. I have no clue how Vegas will afford him after this season when he’s off LTIR.. especially with all the other massive contracts. VGK is clearly in an “all in WIN NOW” mode. But holy s**** are they going to be sooo bad in 4-5 years from now. They have ZERO draft picks or prospects. While the Sharks who arguably have a top 3 prospect pool will begin to dominate the league just like they did back for 20 yrs in 2000’s/2010’s. .
Mar. 8 at 5:52 p.m.
Bedard23
At least 2 years late by the sharks
Mar. 8 at 5:53 p.m.
Ouch right in the feels

To former rivals nonetheless.

Vegas wins this trade big time
Mar. 8 at 5:54 p.m.
sensonfire
With the Sharks retaining on Hertl until 2030 for Vegas, a division rival no less, they should 100% be receiving an Eichel-like return here.

When Buffalo gave Vegas just one 3rd round pick and sent Eichel and his entire 10 million dollar cap hit to Vegas, the Sabres got the following:

Alex Tuch
#17 overall pick from 2019 Peyton Krebs
#16 overall pick in 2022
#64 overall pick in 2023

When San Jose gave Vegas two 3rd round picks and sent a salary retained Hertl and a 6.75 million cap hit to Vegas, the Sharks got the following:

#32 overall pick from 2023 David Edstrom
Vegas' 1st round pick for 2025 because Vegas wants to keep their 2024 1st for when the draft happens at the Sphere.

And now, the Sharks can't retain salary on any player until the Summer of 2025.

And they are also only allowed 1 salary retention between the Summer of 2025 and the Summer of 2027.

This is unacceptable for the San Jose Sharks.

They deserve better.
goodfella and Avy_season liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: tupty
VGK fans help me out here. Was center a position of concern? Does this make it harder to replace Martinez in the offseason? Does it make a Hanafin extension impossible? And doesn't this all but send either Marchessault or Stephenson packing due to the cap?

I think VGK soundly wins the trade with those 3rds going back, but why does Vegas make this move from a strategy standpoint? Are they going to try and flip him in a year or something?

100% signals the end for one of the two, likely Stephenson and will make retaining Marchessault difficult. Shouldn't affect Hanifin deal. Center was not a position of concern but they like being strong down the middle and this only reinforces that.
tupty liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:17 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: goodfella
Edstrom is 3rd line garbage.

Most 1st rounds picks become only 3rd liners. Not a bad thing. If Edstrom can become an everyday NHLer (like a Laughton) that's a good result for him and San Jose... I should note he's even improved in his DY+1.

You have to acknowledge, Hertl's value was never going to be much higher than this. They essentially got 2 firsts for someone of no value to their rebuild.
Mar. 8 at 6:26 p.m.
Quoting: tupty

Martinez should get a 35+ contract offer with a bonus so I would imagine they bring him back 1 more year.

Marchessault's age makes it difficult for a team to steal him away in the offseason. Vegas can just go longer with the term to keep him at a reasonable AAV. His goal scoring is not something they can easily replace.
tupty liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:26 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
Most 1st rounds picks become only 3rd liners. Not a bad thing. If Edstrom can become an everyday NHLer (like a Laughton) that's a good result for him and San Jose... I should note he's even improved in his DY+1.

You have to acknowledge, Hertl's value was never going to be much higher than this. They essentially got 2 firsts for someone of no value to their rebuild.

They gave up two 3rds though and are retaining for 6 years. They said to themselves "Lets just move up 60 picks once and throw away a pick in the 3rd, but also retain for 6 years. We'd like to pay to see this guy play against us. Preferably a division rival."

We need cap to hit the floor now.
So what are we going to do? Go overpay people. Add more overpaid contracts which is the "problem" with Hertl's apparently. Except it wasn't.

Also, the Sharks have enough 3rd and 4th guys. We don't have a top center. Which is what we just lost.

It's a joke. The EK trade is a joke. The Meier one was. The Burns one was. He loses. He loses trades. Grier sucks.
AK50 and rollie1967 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:35 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
This is an absolute STEAL for Vegas.
Sharks get a meh return but now have all their retention spots used up for this year and next(Hertl filling one up for 6 FREAKING years).
This Knights team is stacked.
To every fan who hated on my Hertl to Nashville trade(where the Sharks retained 1.7 mil for 6 years): Who's laughing now?
@goodfella, I'm guessing not you...(just joking around, always funny to see how wrong we all are on CF)
Mar. 8 at 6:40 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
Quoting: AK50
This is an absolute STEAL for Vegas.
Sharks get a meh return but now have all their retention spots used up for this year and next(Hertl filling one up for 6 FREAKING years).
This Knights team is stacked.
To every fan who hated on my Hertl to Nashville trade(where the Sharks retained 1.7 mil for 6 years): Who's laughing now?
goodfella, I'm guessing not you...(just joking around, always funny to see how wrong we all are on CF)

I don't think you want to be associated with bad ideas do you?
Mar. 8 at 6:42 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
They gave up two 3rds though and are retaining for 6 years. They said to themselves "Lets just move up 60 picks once and throw away a pick in the 3rd, but also retain for 6 years. We'd like to pay to see this guy play against us. Preferably a division rival."

We need cap to hit the floor now.
So what are we going to do? Go overpay people. Add more overpaid contracts which is the "problem" with Hertl's apparently. Except it wasn't.

Also, the Sharks have enough 3rd and 4th guys. We don't have a top center. Which is what we just lost.

It's a joke. The EK trade is a joke. The Meier one was. The Burns one was. He loses. He loses trades. Grier sucks.

understand the frustration, but trust the process. This was a neccesary move.

San Jose had no future with those guys on the roster. Wilson left them ****ed for a while, gave out too much money and dashed and forgot to supplement the top talent with depth.

The key to winning in the NHL is having everything going at once, stars, middle lineup, goalies. Edstrom should be a peice for the middle. And your now in a better position to get stars.

It may take a while, but San Jose had the most unattractive opening in the league when Grier was hired. It should take a while

San Jose could be getting the 12th Overall pick from EK trade who could be a good player if chosen and developed right. Probably a top 3 pick with your own pick. I hope you guys get Celebrini. That's a great start.
AK50 and edeangel84 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:44 p.m.
Grierless Sharks Fan
understand the frustration, but trust the process. This was a neccesary move.

San Jose had no future with those guys on the roster. Wilson left them ****ed for a while, gave out too much money and dashed and forgot to supplement the top talent with depth.

It may take a while, but San Jose had the most unattractive opening in the league when Grier was hired. It should take a while

San Jose could be getting the 12th Overall pick from EK trade who could be a good player if chosen and developed right. Probably a top 3 pick with your own pick. I hope you guys get Celebrini. That's a great start.

Celebrini is probably going to CHI. Lets be real.

I can't trust the process with Grier at the helm. I've seen better trade proposals on this website than the ones he's made.
AK50 and rollie1967 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 7:12 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
I don't think you want to be associated with bad ideas do you?

Hey, the return I gave was better(a 1st, Glass, a 2nd and Barrie)... but yeah, in all seriousness, totally agree with you, the combined retention on the Burns, EK and this deal with the returns that the Sharks got is brutal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit