SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

Mar. 13 at 11:21 p.m.
Josh Manson with a really questionable hit to the head on JT Miller against the boards. Maybe it’s because I’m a bit biased as a Canucks fan, but surprised it wasn’t a 5 minute major (or at least there should have been a review, but it was just a straight 2 minute call)
Mar. 14 at 5:28 a.m.
Quoting: Db1899
What is the predators plan? They might be the most directionless team in the NHL

I've been asking this since they signed Duchene.
Db1899 liked this.
Mar. 14 at 8:13 a.m.
WentWughes
What is the predators plan? They might be the most directionless team in the NHL

It was like that in the offseason too. Bought out half decent Veterans players and then signed other Veteran players to the same contract. Not sure what the plan is there.
Db1899 liked this.
Mar. 14 at 8:48 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
My playoff predictions. Gee right now, Panthers look unbeatable in the East. West is wide open, but gotta think the playoff experience and their team makeup makes Vegas the favourite
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 14 at 10:12 a.m.
Edited Mar. 14 at 7:35 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It was like that in the offseason too. Bought out half decent Veterans players and then signed other Veteran players to the same contract. Not sure what the plan is there.

My impression is that the individuals they bought out/traded were not ideal individuals for a rebuild situation.

In a competitive environment where the load is shared and accountability exists (Dallas), Matt Duchene is excellent. It seems anybody who plays under Jamie Benn is excellent, maybe because he would snap spines in half for fun if he were crossed.

In a rebuild environment where Duchene is the primary guy…..

I don’t think that’s a good idea, and nobody taking him off nashvilles hands for 50% off (similar to Kevin hayes) I think shows that his reputation exists.

Johansen is like this except 10 times worse, perhaps an individual where at this point you simply wouldn’t want him in the org at all. Not for half off of half off. Not for free. Just please no thank you sir enjoy your retirement and best wishes.

Sometimes the move is just to improve culture. Seems to have worked. Petulance/Laziness per 60 went way down. You can’t have a bunch of younger folk idolizing some vets who stopped being hungry 6 years ago. I don’t blame them at all. Either party. Give me $80 mil in career earnings and you’ll find out real fast that I’m no longer into long term physical side effects. If you think imma go into a board battle at full speed, block shots face forward, or at all, you’re kidding yourself.
Mar. 14 at 1:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

If I remember Trotz plan was to bring in some vets but leave cap open to fill in other holes. So teams could come with some cap casualties they would take them on.

It basically what SEA did

And if we saw this TDL they basically went and paid nothing for 2 wings who have shown good results in the past and since 0 retention paid a 5th and 6th for them

They have young guys coming up and space to make more moves in the future.
Mar. 14 at 1:34 p.m.
Anyone here about the Bobblehead Heist?
zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 14 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: MGK
I've been asking this since they signed Duchene.

They’re just delaying the rebuild to get knocked out in the 1st rd. They need to go the San Jose route and tear it down
Mar. 14 at 1:59 p.m.
They’re just delaying the rebuild to get knocked out in the 1st rd. They need to go the San Jose route and tear it down

It's hard for Nashville to tear it down when they have players like Saros, Josi and Forsberg
aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 14 at 2:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
It's hard for Nashville to tear it down when they have players like Saros, Josi and Forsberg

Yep, I think they just need to continue tinkering

As they have some nice pieces on that team but are missing others. ROR has been good but they could really use a 1c to push him into the 2c spot. Another nice RD would do to
Mar. 14 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: Rolfadinho
Anyone here about the Bobblehead Heist?

That is crazy, like I don't think Jagr bobbleheads is a prime stealing target (plus stealing them gets a huge target on your back because the Pens will massively care)
Mar. 14 at 3:29 p.m.
Edited Mar. 14 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That is crazy, like I don't think Jagr bobbleheads is a prime stealing target (plus stealing them gets a huge target on your back because the Pens will massively care)

Spontaneous flash mob theft maybe? Teens just run up and grab **** these days. It's spring break so it wouldn't surprise me.

That truck didn't happen to pass through Philly, did it?
Rolfadinho liked this.
Mar. 14 at 3:36 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep, I think they just need to continue tinkering

As they have some nice pieces on that team but are missing others. ROR has been good but they could really use a 1c to push him into the 2c spot. Another nice RD would do to

They're in the same boat NYR was a few years ago. Nobody wanted to leave, and it's still an attractive destination for UFAs.
Mar. 14 at 4:59 p.m.
torontos finest

From a financial perspective, it's a lot harder for teams like Nashville to just go into a full rebuild because they're more reliant on the gate revenue for their games than larger markets are. Bad teams don't sell as many tickets. Unfortunately this means they're usually treading the playoff bubble zone until something forces them to commit to a rebuild. Once Josi and Saros are gone it would make more sense since those players aren't easily replaced through trade or FA.

Ultimately you need to convince ownership that rebuilding the squad is a more viable investment than trying to sell out the arena.
Db1899 liked this.
Mar. 14 at 5:04 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: IconicHawk
I thoroughly enjoy when people or more so Bedard haters bring up his +/- (which admittedly is ****) yet fail to realize

1. +/- is more a reflection on the whole team rather then 1 player

2. Mario Lemieux was a -33 as a rookie, was he complete dog****?

Comes with the territory of copium that their team doesn't have Bedard...
IconicHawk and imawesome liked this.
Mar. 14 at 8:35 p.m.
WentWughes
Jake Allen has given up 2 goals on 3 shots in his #NJDevils debut.

He's the master of giving up goals very early in the game and then playing nuts the rest of the night.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 14 at 8:37 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Tampa Bay Lightning
Nick Paul for Captain of the All-Underrated Team...
Mar. 14 at 8:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: McGruff
Tampa Bay Lightning
Nick Paul for Captain of the All-Underrated Team...

No no that title still goes to Slavin

People still dont realize just how good he is. This is a Dman who isnt flashy but is someone every Dcore wants

Paul would get an A though
Mar. 14 at 8:46 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: aadoyle
No no that title still goes to Slavin

People still dont realize just how good he is. This is a Dman who isnt flashy but is someone every Dcore wants

Slavin is mentioned here everyday - he gets an "A" tho...

Who are the starting 6??

Paul
Slavin
Guentzel...

* -----
* -----
* -----
Mar. 14 at 9:04 p.m.

Who are the starting 6??

Paul
Slavin
Guentzel...

* -----
* -----
* -----

G: Joey Daccord. 49games. 2.46 GAA(7th) .919S%(3rd)
Mar. 14 at 9:05 p.m.
Refs just straight up changed their minds in the Bolts Rangers game. I've never seen that after the call was made.
Mar. 14 at 9:06 p.m.

Who are the starting 6??

Paul
Slavin
Guentzel...

* -----
* -----
* -----

sub in Connor for Guentzel

Is Nelson still doing well? He would have been one last year for sure

edit: Hyman and Carter Vrhghghghe too
McGruff liked this.
Mar. 14 at 9:09 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Mar. 14 at 9:22 p.m.
Quoting: MGK
sub in Connor for Guentzel

Is Nelson still doing well? He would have been one last year for sure

Who are the starting 6??
A quik stab...

Paul
Slavin
Guentzel...
* K Connor
* Carlo
* A. Hill

PS: I had Connor prior to your post...
Great minds...____ ____!
MGK liked this.
Mar. 14 at 9:15 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: Rangsey
Refs just straight up changed their minds in the Bolts Rangers game. I've never seen that after the call was made.

As well, Rangers had it "iced" 2-0 until Brodzinski turns it over at his line w/ Point on the same ice...[chuckle]
* Yeah Brod's is good at fishin' it out of HIS OWN net after that!
Rangsey liked this.
Mar. 14 at 9:39 p.m.
Is this the best Art Ross race ever? McDavid is gonna win it but Kuch and MacKinnon are not gonna make it easy.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll