SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #5: The Final Stretch

Apr. 17 at 12:08 a.m.
Filip Hronek chirping the Flames bench after a scrum - “You have holidays in two days I feel sorry for you” 🤣
Otto_Kirov and Rolfadinho liked this.
Apr. 17 at 12:20 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Rolfadinho
I got Bruins in 7 games again for that one.

To be honest I’d be pretty surprised if that series doesn’t go 7 games. Calling it now
Apr. 17 at 12:21 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Easily the series Im most excited for, such an excellent matchup

I mean I’m definitely more excited for BOS-TOR
But that’s cuz I’m a leafs fan lol
Those 2 matchups are going to be the most exciting ones I think
Apr. 17 at 12:22 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Saskleaf

Im certainly excited for Toronto v Boston, but Im too pessimistic to fully enjoy it
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17 at 12:23 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Im certainly excited for Toronto v Boston, but Im too pessimistic to fully enjoy it

Fair enough lol, I do think the leafs are the underdogs in that series
Apr. 17 at 12:45 a.m.

Whoever Vegas plays will be a great 1st round series also. Either Edmonton or Dallas
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17 at 12:54 a.m.
Quoting: Otto_Kirov
Inb4 Kucherov saws off a guys head live on the ice

Na. He's more of a hatchet guy than a saw guy. Hack a guys head off sure.
Apr. 17 at 7:12 a.m.
Quoting: BigBallsBriere
and Flyers ended it pulling the goalie lmao

You know, what’s funny is when talking to my dad yesterday, I said there’s a real shot WC2 gets decided by a tie game empty net goal… and it did, Philly basically handed the Caps the spot (Tbf, the Detroit game went to overtime at about the same time, they couldn’t have know they were eliminated)
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Apr. 17 at 7:20 a.m.
Edited Apr. 17 at 7:33 p.m.
(Behind the scenes on how the perfect bracket was submitted?)

Imma be edgy and take Toronto over NYR out of the East, with the Lightning winning the battle of Florida.

Its borderline clinical to suggest the Bruins will lose in the first round again, but here I am. It’s hard to pick against the hurricanes - they’re near perfect, but I think in 7 games against the rangers I see the rangers prevail. I really like how the lightning matchup against the panthers, and think they’re maybe the best team to take them out. I think everybody else is kinda in trouble if the panthers get past the lightning. A lot of this is Vasilevskiy - he presents problems for the way the panthers score goals. He uses his size so well, his presence in close in action is notably better than his peers.

I think that Toronto’s skill will run wild and that they have enough on the team for the nights they’re muted. —unless Charlie Coyle has a Selke like series, they should manhandle the bruins (if Coyle plays 21 min a game+ and holds down torontos top end scoring while contributing offensively good luck cause bostons middle is gonna grind ya to dust). I wanna pound the table that coyle is under recognized, here’s a chance to make me look stupid - entirely possible he’s caved in, Toronto is so good. Be fun to watch this on display. I think Coyle can do a lot of good work but Toronto prevail, but if I am right and he’s very underrated, then my bracket will be blown up and I won’t care anymore.

I also think Toronto needs the reduction in spot light. They aren’t all in. I think you’ll see Toronto play more true to itself. It’s still extreme distraction, pressure, focus, but it’ll be like taking batting practice with the extra weight on the bat then taking it off to go hit. They don’t ultimately get the cup, Cheveldayoff does, but runner up is way better than first round loss.

Jets Leafs Final. Jets cup.

The jets haven’t lost this month, shutout their divisional peers multiple times. Haven’t had a muffin game - all contenders down the stretch (the wild once, kinda bubble contender), hot at the right time if you recall my prediction specifically that this would occur, best goaltender, deep diverse offense and defense, can win at any pace, have faced adversity, large amount of battle tested impactful guys in all positions, only the kings/predators matchup well against them but the jets are deeper and more polished. Meanwhile the jets have shown the ability to slow down top heavy teams, and will handle the Mackinnons and Mcdavids of the conference. The stars present the biggest challenge, but late rounds and old teams will do what it does.

Cheveldayoff conn smythe: the Dubois deal, Monahan deal, Tiffoli deal, resigning the best goalie in hockey all top gm marks and created a monster of a team while also having one of the least desirable markets with unfavorable tax status. He’s the mvp, and the cup will enshrine him as a goat gm.
Apr. 17 at 10:01 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Why is it always Boston...

Oh, and the last time Ottawa beat Boston to lock a matchup between BOS-TOR, it was 2013...

And game 7 (if the Leafs even get that far) will be at TD Gardens...
Saskleaf and BeterChiarelli liked this.
Apr. 17 at 10:30 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Why is it always Boston...

Oh, and the last time Ottawa beat Boston to lock a matchup between BOS-TOR, it was 2013...

And game 7 (if the Leafs even get that far) will be at TD Gardens...

I mean at some point we gotta slay that dragon eh?
Apr. 17 at 10:31 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

I mean, since the Leafs last beat Boston in a playoff series, they've won 4 cups and have gone on the longest drought in sports...
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17 at 11:44 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Fleury's not going anywhere: 1 year, 2.5 mill
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 17 at 12:00 p.m.
Bedard23
For everyone who says skates don’t go high on accident, I reference you to this clip of JT Compher getting cut by a skate blade last night: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j14iBPp-DzU
Apr. 17 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
For everyone who says skates don’t go high on accident, I reference you to this clip of JT Compher getting cut by a skate blade last night: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j14iBPp-DzU

I mean, I'm pretty sure Seider moved Slaf's leg, it's an accident but that's on Seider and a play that has such a slim chance of happening
Apr. 17 at 12:28 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: IconicHawk

Oh they absolutely do, and players also crouch down a lot so skates don't always need to go higher than belly button to catch somebody.
Apr. 17 at 12:29 p.m.
mokumboi

Presumably, maybe even now, but maybe this isn't the trend to bet againat.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17 at 12:53 p.m.
torontos finest
really hope toronto sweeps boston because it would mean the last games jack edwards calls are four bruins losses in a row
Apr. 17 at 1:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
really hope toronto sweeps boston because it would mean the last games jack edwards calls are four bruins losses in a row

Yes that would be a positive for sure

That's what Keefe should tell them before game 1
Apr. 17 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

I'm not even sure Jack Edwards will call playoff games, I don't think his regional broadcast has the rights
Apr. 17 at 2:05 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
The Atlantic is going to be an absolute war of attrition. Both Round 1 series are probably going to be bloodbaths, only for the survivors to faceoff in Round 2.
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 17 at 2:48 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
My dad told me last night he put $100 on the leafs to win the cup at the start of the season

So I gotta get my jokes ready
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 4:35 p.m.
Mark Andre Fleury gets a farewell tour, stating retirement after the next season - it seems like everything that dude does is the right thing.
zk97, KSIxSKULLS and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Apr. 17 at 7:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Mark Andre Fleury gets a farewell tour, stating retirement after the next season - it seems like everything that dude does is the right thing.

Kind of surprised he didnt go back to Pitt

As they gonna need a backup next season

Basically go full circle
Apr. 17 at 7:41 p.m.
Matthews and the hockey gods having a staring contest. Who blinks first? Guy has been everywhere.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll