SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

502021/2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread - #8

Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:53 a.m.
All of the top 4 winningest goalies in NHL history are from Quebec lol
HelmutCool, capsfan2121, KSIxSKULLS and 8 others liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 6:13 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: MatthewsFan
First ballot Hall of Famer

Bring him to the Olympics. No doubt about it, he deserves to be there.
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 6:15 a.m.
Jinx god
Question EsoYeezus69

After just watching Jake Oettinger make 20 saves in PERIOD 1, is Dallas really going to send him back down once Bishop is healthy, or roll 3 goalies? Bishop / Holtby / Oettinger and trade Khudobin

If we can get anything that isn't negative value for Dobby we should 100% trade him.

As for Bishop he should honestly just retire for his own good, I know it's been about 2 years since he's played, but his performance with Texas was horrible.

Ideally I'd roll a tandem of Oettinger and Holtby.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 6:16 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: SevenLeg
Who's one player everybody seem to love/hype but you personally just don't feel?

For me it's Kevin Fiala

He's kinda labeled as a semi bust now, but I've always had a hate for Zadina. I watched him play for Halifax (my home team) and they did an in-depth look at him (personally) and he seemed like a douchbag/idiot
SevenLeg liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 6:24 a.m.
Quoting: McGruff
Looks like the Canukleheads solution to their problem is so simple - just create layer-on-layer-of-management - yeah that'll fix ur >50yr old franchise wagon!

* JR - "El Presidente"/"Interim GM or 'Trader Jim' if you prefer.
* _____________(a "GM" of some sort)
* the Sedin Sisters
* Stan Smyl
* some other bum...
* blueberry farm co-op
* etc etc etc

The Sedins and Smyl would actually probably be good GM’s, the Sedin’s would probably need a but more training though
Dec. 10, 2021 at 7:48 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Alfie11
All of the top 4 winningest goalies in NHL history are from Quebec lol

Vive le Quebec!
yikes liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 8:35 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Credit to the Habs fans: This was a classy move.

You love to see stuff like that. Always warms the heart.

French Canada has something to cheer for finally in the NHL this year lmfao.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 8:50 a.m.
yippee
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
He's kinda labeled as a semi bust now, but I've always had a hate for Zadina. I watched him play for Halifax (my home team) and they did an in-depth look at him (personally) and he seemed like a douchbag/idiot

I don't get it, from what I've seen of him he's quite the opposite of a douchebag, just a little reserved and lacking in confidence. He seems to put a lot of pressure on himself to succeed, and you can really tell when he's on a cold streak. The closest example I can think of for him being a "douchebag" is when he said he'd "fill their nets with pucks" to the teams that didn't pick him, but I don't see that as any more than a personal promise to help boost confidence. He isn't perfect by any means, but you must've seen some serious stuff in that Halifax in-depth look, because I can't see how else somebody would use such a strong word as "hate" on him.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 9:05 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Andrew Peters tweeted this
I’m told the NHL doesn’t want to send its players to the Olympics.

Will be discussed today.

Should get interesting.
Link
https://twitter.com/TheInstigator76/status/1469299326031646722?t=ZvrXBwhy0Igei2EfRcARng&s=19
Roysboy72 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 9:06 a.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Andrew Peters tweeted this
I’m told the NHL doesn’t want to send its players to the Olympics.

Will be discussed today.

Should get interesting.
Link
https://twitter.com/TheInstigator76/status/1469299326031646722?t=ZvrXBwhy0Igei2EfRcARng&s=19

Makes sense, we've already had some postponements and catching Covid in China is a 3 week quarantine i think
Dec. 10, 2021 at 9:17 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Makes sense, we've already had some postponements and catching Covid in China is a 3 week quarantine i think

Agreed, the players wouldn't be happy about it at all (and neither would all the countries who were banking on the NHL keeping its word), but given that COVID has still run rampant through the league and that catching it in China would just delay the season even further, it would make sense. Guess we'll see what happens.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 9:33 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Roysboy72
I don't get it, from what I've seen of him he's quite the opposite of a douchebag, just a little reserved and lacking in confidence. He seems to put a lot of pressure on himself to succeed, and you can really tell when he's on a cold streak. The closest example I can think of for him being a "douchebag" is when he said he'd "fill their nets with pucks" to the teams that didn't pick him, but I don't see that as any more than a personal promise to help boost confidence. He isn't perfect by any means, but you must've seen some serious stuff in that Halifax in-depth look, because I can't see how else somebody would use such a strong word as "hate" on him.

It was likely because of the language barrier, but from the articles I read and the mini videos the mooseheads put out, it just seemed like he didn't want to be there. Then the whole "fill their nets with pucks" just verified my initial thoughts. Just didn't seem real grateful for the opportunity. For example, Hischier was a big team leader when he came over, volunteered for toy drives & participated in charities. Zadina was the exact opposite.

Hates probably not the right word, but he never did anything to make me a fan, and his game was annoying to watch. Didn't backcheck and wasn't a very good team player; hogged the puck and wouldn't pass when another player had an A+ chance
capsfan2121 and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 9:37 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Canesfan21_
WHO THE FRIG

is NATHAN WALKER!!!???

That's Caps legend & Stanley Cup Champion Nathan Walker to you.
Roysboy72, capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 9:53 a.m.
yippee
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It was likely because of the language barrier, but from the articles I read and the mini videos the mooseheads put out, it just seemed like he didn't want to be there. Then the whole "fill their nets with pucks" just verified my initial thoughts. Just didn't seem real grateful for the opportunity. For example, Hischier was a big team leader when he came over, volunteered for toy drives & participated in charities. Zadina was the exact opposite.

Hates probably not the right word, but he never did anything to make me a fan, and his game was annoying to watch. Didn't backcheck and wasn't a very good team player; hogged the puck and wouldn't pass when another player had an A+ chance

Yeah, watching those older interviews it seems like he was having trouble with his English, and I think that took out a lot of his emotion when speaking. As for the playstyle, nowadays he's much different. His goal-scoring hasn't translated, but his passing game is much improved, and he's quite defensively responsible. He'll still look for a chance to shoot, but it seems like the confidence he's lost is what sometimes makes him rethink it and go for the pass even when he has a good chance. He's gone from a highly touted prospect to an underdog, and that's what makes me root for him. It's alright with me if he doesn't participate in as many off-ice events as some of his teammates, it's his choice when it comes to his time and money, and with his more reserved personality I can understand that he doesn't want to be in the public eye as much. Not everybody has that natural charisma and ability to make people naturally like them, and Zadina definitely doesn't. That brings him down to earth for me, and it helps remind me that every professional sports player is still just a regular person with flaws, and they aren't perfect.
capsfan2121 and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
What in tarnation
Gotta say that if someone had asked me this morning which team have scored the most goals this year, Minnesota Wild wouldn't have been my answer.

Also actually they're leading the league in points as well. Huh. Gotta give credit when credit is due.
SevenLeg, EsoYeezus69, capsfan2121 and 5 others liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 10:56 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: justaBoss
Gotta say that if someone had asked me this morning which team have scored the most goals this year, Minnesota Wild wouldn't have been my answer.

Also actually they're leading the league in points as well. Huh. Gotta give credit when credit is due.

Gotta give them credit fr. This year is their year to win it all before Parise and Suter strangle them cap-wise and they look like legit contenders. Their signings like Talbot/Kulikov/Goligoski/Zuccarello all looked questionable but they're all very good value.
justaBoss, MatthewsFan, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
What in tarnation
Gotta give them credit fr. This year is their year to win it all before Parise and Suter strangle them cap-wise and they look like legit contenders. Their signings like Talbot/Kulikov/Goligoski/Zuccarello all looked questionable but they're all very good value.

It's a well-oiled machine, but also a ticking time bomb. If they want success, they have to be quick, because cap struggle is looming nearby.
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan, SevenLeg and 4 others liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.

I personally think Talbot hate is unjustified. He's been an above average goalie for most of his career. His only bad year was 18-19, which came after playing 140 (notably out of a possible 164) games, which is absurdly overworked. He had a below average 17-18 (again, overworked as hell) but he was really good from 2013-16, robbed of the Vezina in 16-17, played well in Calgary in 19-20 (including the playoffs), and was good for Minnesota last year. When he's not forced to play 70 games on a terrible team he's actually a pretty good goalie lol, and I thought his contract was great value since the day it was signed.
capsfan2121, Sklikly, SevenLeg and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:30 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: justaBoss
It's a well-oiled machine, but also a ticking time bomb. If they want success, they have to be quick, because cap struggle is looming nearby.

There one saving grace, they have done an excellent job at drafting. All of Bodly, Rossi, Beckman, and Addison could all be in line for a role next year and produce. Couple that in with Wallstedt, Lambos, Khusnutdinov, and Peart in 2-4 years. They really need to be carful with the cap but Evason doesn't get enough credit for how well he gets this group to play.
capsfan2121, Roysboy72 and Devil liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I personally think Talbot hate is unjustified. He's been an above average goalie for most of his career. His only bad year was 18-19, which came after playing 140 (notably out of a possible 164) games, which is absurdly overworked. He had a below average 17-18 (again, overworked as hell) but he was really good from 2013-16, robbed of the Vezina in 16-17, played well in Calgary in 19-20 (including the playoffs), and was good for Minnesota last year. When he's not forced to play 70 games on a terrible team he's actually a pretty good goalie lol, and I thought his contract was great value since the day it was signed.

If I had to pick a goaltender for team Canada today (not named Carey Price because he isn't currently playing) my choice would be Talbot. Fleury would be on there as well due to last season, but Talbot has been rock solid.
capsfan2121, Roysboy72, Alfie11 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
<a href=Capture.png">

What Seravalli was projecting

zk97, A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:27 p.m.
<a href=Capture.png">

What Seravalli was projecting

Hopefully this means the cap goes up by more than 1mil next year
zk97, MatthewsFan, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

🤩🤩
zk97, MatthewsFan, capsfan2121 and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:30 p.m.
Farewell
POWER RANKINGS (Standings as of 12/10/21)
(Only Top 20 Teams)
1) Minnesota Wild (19-6-1): Who saw this team having the most points in the league a third of the way into the season? Talbot continues to be a workhorse in net, Kaprizov continues to dazzle, and the breakouts of Ryan Hartman and Marcus Foligno haven't hurt either. Wild have won 8 in a row.
2) Florida Panthers (17-4-4): They're 7-2-1 in their past 10, all without Alexsander Barkov. When he gets back, he's going to add even more craziness to a frenzy for first in the Atlantic between the Panthers, Lightning and Leafs.
3) Tampa Bay Lightning (17-5-4): Speaking of riddled by injuries, the Lightning are 8-1-1 in their past 10, all without Nikita Kucherov AND Brayden Point, not to mention having Erik Cernak and Mathieu Joseph miss time as well, and beating the Leafs in Toronto last night with no Anthony Cirelli to boot. When fully healthy, watch out.
4) Washington Capitals (16-4-6): No Backstrom, no Oshie, no problem. Ovi continues to rocket pucks past goalies, and the Vanecek/Samsonov tandem continues to hold strong for the Caps. Yet another team rolling without even being at full strength. (Is it just me, or have there been an abnormal number of injuries this year?)
5) Toronto Maple Leafs (18-8-2): Leafs have lost 3 of 4, and are struggling a little bit defensively, especially with Muzzin-Holl. They're still not in bad shape at all, but as it always is in Toronto, the questions surround what will happen come playoff time.
6) Carolina Hurricanes (18-6-1): Frederik Andersen is having the season of his life when nobody expected him to. Far from being on IR, the Canes netminder, along with an always stacked offense, have Carolina just behind the Caps for first in the Metro.
7) New York Rangers (17-5-3): Seems like only injury can slow down Shesterkin as of late. Also, who saw Chris Kreider having 16 goals ALREADY?! He had 20 in 56 games last year!
8) Calgary Flames (15-6-6): The only thing I seem to have predicted correctly this year is the Flames' success, though even I didn't have Markstrom having 5 shutouts and Andrew Mangiapane with 17 goals ALREADY.
9) Anaheim Ducks (15-8-5): Trevor Zegras, holy smokes. Guy's making a case for the Olympics at this rate. Throw in John Gibson's solid (finally recognized) performance in net and Troy Terry, and the Ducks would HOST the Oilers in the first round at this rate!
10) Edmonton Oilers (16-9-0): Losers of 4 in a row, Oilers are suddenly struggling. They'll no doubt figure it out over the remainder of the regular season, but like Toronto, all questions will center round what happens come playoff time, especially given their current situation in net.
11) St. Louis Blues (14-8-4): The Blues won last night with a 4TH STRING GOALIE in net, and got a hat trick from Nathan Walker to boot (who?). Not bad. Even with slow starts from O'Reilly and Schenn, they've found a way to keep things going in the right direction in St. Louis.
12) Nashville Predators (15-10-1): It's been a streaky season in Nashville, as they don't seem to win many games decidedly, but do seem to on the better end of most close contests. That being said, Matt Duchene is finally starting to live up to that contract, and Juuse Saros has been dynamite for the Preds.
12) Colorado Avalanche (14-7-2): 7-2-1 in their last 10, the Avs are FINALLY heating up. Almost fully healthy once again, they'll now look to seize control of the Central that many saw them having in hand from the get-go.
13) Vegas Golden Knights (15-10-0): Slowly but surely, the main pieces are returning in Vegas. What they'll do with the cap situation is anyone's guess (will Eichel play before Game 1?), but once all their chips are back on the table (get it? Cause it's Vegas? GET IT??!! tears of joy), this team is a powerhouse.
14) Winnipeg Jets (13-9-4): The most frustratingly inconsistent team in the league, the Jets have looked terrific at times and horrific at others (save for Kyle Connor, who's a beast every game). They'll need to be more steady down the stretch to have a chance come playoff time.
15) Pittsburgh Penguins (12-8-5): Well, the fact that they're in this position despite having no Crosby for half the year and still no Malkin at all is pretty impressive. Puts them in good position to be battling it out for a WC spot down the stretch.
16) Dallas Stars (13-9-2): Despite not picking up a single regulation win in their first 11 games, the Stars have finally gotten going, thanks in no small part to Roope Hintz and Jason Robertson. Makes things even more interesting in an already packed division.
17) Detroit Red Wings (13-11-3): Well, well, who saw this coming? Nedjelkovic being solid in net (after Yzerman absolutely robbed the Canes for him) is not surprising, but the production from rookies like Lucas Raymond and Moritz Seider is. Wings are amazingly just ahead of the Bruins 1/3 of the way into the season.
18) Boston Bruins (13-8-2): It's been a weird season for the Bruins. The Swayman/Ullmark tandem has been good but not great, they've gotten basically no production from the bottom 6, the departure of Krejci has severely hurt Taylor Hall and Craig Smith, and Rask remains unsigned. It'll be interesting to see what the Bruins do come the deadline, but even more interesting to see what happens with Rask.
19) Columbus Blue Jackets (13-11-1): It's been a pretty nice start, and Elvis Merzlikins has been a pleasant surprise, but I don't see it lasting much longer for the Jackets. It does add up to a promising future though.
20) San Jose Sharks (14-12-1): Same as Columbus, the Sharks aren't likely to do anything notable the rest of the way, but James Reimer has been an absolute steal of an offseason signing, and the emergence of rookies like Jonathan Dahlen bodes well for them.
Roysboy72 and yikes liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.

🤩🤩

Wasn’t this mainly a political move by that guy to try and get some more votes? I don’t see a politician convincing Gary freaking Bettman to do anything he doesn’t want to do, and it’s pretty clear he doesn’t want to move a franchise back to Quebec.
A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll