SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #3

Jul. 19, 2022 at 5:29 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Well, we are 11th

Quoting: Alfie11
I mean I like Knies, Niemela, and Robertson. I wouldn’t take them over Sanderson, Greig, Thomson, and JBD though. And then the Sens depth wipes Toronto’s as far as I’m concerned (the guys I mentioned above vs. Moldenhauer, Hirvonen, Minten… and like 8 other guys [on top of 3 of those 6] that are below 6’ and offense only guys, of whom the best are Abruzzese and who, Holmberg?). Idk man. You’ve gotta count Amirov and be super high on both him and Robertson to even come close, as well as think Niemela and Sanderson is a wash, which I obviously don’t.

Just to chime in here; doesn't Bader's model consider under 100 NHL games a prospect?

I recall that being the case, and if it is, then all of a sudden the Leafs group at the high end is looking like Sandin, Liljegren, Knies, Niemela, Robertson (and Amirov, if considered - as you've both said probably shouldn't be). And then you've got the likes of Brad Lamb - I mean uhh Fraser Minten neutral , Hirvonen, Moldenhauer, Abruzzese and company...
MatthewsFan and yikes liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 7:52 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jul. 19, 2022 at 7:57 p.m.
I can’t believe it. I can’t believe San Jose hired the guy who drafted this over keeping choosing to keep Wilson Jr. I can’t believe Grier hired this guy.
2015NHLDraft-Getty-479017216.jpg

I mean google the bruins drafting history - it’s comical if you line up his tenure.

I MEAN GUYS ITS ACTUALLY STUPID THE BRUINS DRAFT HISTORY DURING HIS TENURE. This is just sad.

It’s going to be embarrassing in San Jose; they should have just hired Pierre McGuire at this point.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 7:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
I can’t believe it. I can’t believe San Jose hired the guy who drafted this over keeping choosing to keep Wilson Jr. I can’t believe Grier hired this guy.
2015NHLDraft-Getty-479017216.jpg

I mean google the bruins drafting history - it’s comical if you line up his tenure.

I MEAN GUYS ITS ACTUALLY STUPID THE BRUINS DRAFT HISTORY DURING HIS TENURE. This is just sad.

It’s going to be embarrassing in San Jose; they should have just hired Pierre McGuire at this point.

Well hes forever in the hockey hall of memes as man 2015 is a dark time for Boston

Debrusk is fine but lets be real

Barzal, Connor, Chabot would have been better
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 8:02 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Well, we are 11th

I mean I like Knies, Niemela, and Robertson. I wouldn’t take them over Sanderson, Greig, Thomson, and JBD though. And then the Sens depth wipes Toronto’s as far as I’m concerned (the guys I mentioned above vs. Moldenhauer, Hirvonen, Minten… and like 8 other guys [on top of 3 of those 6] that are below 6’ and offense only guys, of whom the best are Abruzzese and who, Holmberg?). Idk man. You’ve gotta count Amirov and be super high on both him and Robertson to even come close, as well as think Niemela and Sanderson is a wash, which I obviously don’t.

See I like this conversation;

I definitely go:

Sanderson off rip
Niemela
Thomson
Knies
Grieg
Roberson

But if I include Amirov who I will not include because his case is rocky, he probably be right behind Sanderson (call me a fan).
Alfie11 liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
Well hes forever in the hockey hall of memes as man 2015 is a dark time for Boston

Debrusk is fine but lets be real

Barzal, Connor, Chabot would have been better

Bro not even; he’s the reason why the Bruins are abysmal for the future.

Look at this asset management in the draft.
It’s a wasteland with a few gimmies. Yeah Pastrnak was a good pick but I love how so many of his picks are just “Axel Andersson” - the kinda comment you think of is “yeha I think this guy played 12 NHL games?”
aadoyle and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 19, 2022 at 9:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
See I like this conversation;

I definitely go:

Sanderson off rip
Niemela
Thomson
Knies
Grieg
Roberson

But if I include Amirov who I will not include because his case is rocky, he probably be right behind Sanderson (call me a fan).

Once Amirov is healthy and we can get him to North America I got a feeling thats when we see him take his game up and show why he was selected 15OA

As he has the tools to be a scary 2-way LW and once the rawness in certain areas is gone oh boy were in for some fun.

But first take all the time he needs from his cancer treatment as that is far and beyond the most important thing
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 8:25 a.m.
Who is better today! Just some fun comps I thought of.
Holtz - Quinn
Byfield - Stutzle
Dach - Turcotte
Power - Sanderson
Jul. 20, 2022 at 10:25 a.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Holtz - Quinn
Byfield - Stutzle
Dach - Turcotte
Power - Sanderson

Holtz, higher ceiling, Stutzle more proven, Dach at least has played NHL games, Power higher ceiling
Tintin liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Holtz, higher ceiling, Stutzle more proven, Dach at least has played NHL games, Power higher ceiling

What makes Holtz have a higher ceiling than Quinn? Just wondering because I'm obviously biased lmao. Quinn's ceiling for me is someone like Guentzel or Rantenen.

Only reason I brought up Byfield vs Stutzle is Byfield still has such a high ceiling.

Yea, both kinda failures.

Agree
Jul. 20, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Holtz - Quinn
Byfield - Stutzle
Dach - Turcotte
Power - Sanderson

Quinn
Stützle
Dach
Power
BuFfaLOFaN and Bflo_Soldier liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 12:12 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
👀👀👀👀👀

MatthewsFan, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 12:37 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
👀👀👀👀👀

Not fair.
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
Holtz - Quinn
Byfield - Stutzle
Dach - Turcotte
Power - Sanderson

Holtz had the higher ceiling when they were drafted, but Quinn has developed better, so probably Quinn.
Stutzle not close
Dach not close
Power by a slight edge, because he’ll put up better offensive numbers. I think Sanderson will be much better defensively though with still good offensive numbers.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Edited Jul. 20, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
👀👀👀👀👀

Navigating the cap with their buyouts will be tricky but by god their under 25 team looks sick. They are setup for a prolonged run IMO

Minnesota Wild 25 and under Team:

Boldy - Rossi - Kaprizov
Öhgren - Eriksson Ek - Yurov
Greenway - Khusnutdinov - Beckman
Hedgens - Petrovský - Jost
Lorenz, Novák

O'Rourke - Addison
Lambos - Faber
Peart - Warren
Hunt

Wallstedt - Gustavsson

They same can be said for CAR. They have had 40 players selected from the 2019 to the 2022 draft. Notables being:
Drury
Honka
Fensore
Rizzo
Seeley
Pashin
Ponomarev
Gunler
Nystrom
Guslistov
Blake
Koivunen
Heimosalmi
Morrow
Pelevin
Grudinin
Lucius
Perevalov
Trikozov

Peanut butter and jealous
BuFfaLOFaN, yikes, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Holtz had the higher ceiling when they were drafted, but Quinn has developed better, so probably Quinn.
Stutzle not close
Dach not close
Power by a slight edge, because he’ll put up better offensive numbers. I think Sanderson will be much better defensively though with still good offensive numbers.

In Power's short stint in the NHL last year he played in all circumstances, including PK but no power play. Over an 80 game season he would have had 30 even strength points (he easily would have more in a 82 games season) but the suprising part of Power to me was his defensive impact, over an 82 game season he would have ranked top 15.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
In Power's short stint in the NHL last year he played in all circumstances, including PK but no power play. Over an 80 game season he would have had 30 even strength points (he easily would have more in a 82 games season) but the suprising part of Power to me was his defensive impact, over an 82 game season he would have ranked top 15.

I think you’ve gotta take 8 games as a rookie with 67% ozone starts with a grain of salt lol. He should be good defensively, but his game has always been his skating + size + offensive ability, and then if he’s good defensively too then that’s great.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
👀👀👀👀👀

Sabres at the Start of the 26-27 FA.

Tuch 30. (just for fun added him)
Asplund, Thompson, 28
UPL, Jokiharju, Mitts 27.
Dahlin, Samuelsson 26.
Krebs, Cozens, Portillo 25.
Levi, Quinn, Peterka, Johnson 24
Power, Rosen, Kisakov, Poltapov, von Barnekow Fofberg, Bloom 23.
Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, Neuchev, Leinonen 22.
Mats Lindgren 21. Added specifically just because of his shootout goal in the Dev. Camp.

Dahlin will have played 350 Games before he turns 23 BTW.tears of joy
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 20, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
I think you’ve gotta take 8 games as a rookie with 67% ozone starts with a grain of salt lol. He should be good defensively, but his game has always been his skating + size + offensive ability, and then if he’s good defensively too then that’s great.

It was a 54 OZ - 46 DZ split?
Jul. 20, 2022 at 1:12 p.m.
It was a 54 OZ - 46 DZ split?

Not sure what site you’re looking at. Natural stat trick says he had 67% ozone starts at 5v5
Jul. 20, 2022 at 1:18 p.m.
Not sure what site you’re looking at. Natural stat trick says he had 67% ozone starts at 5v5

hockey-reference has 54-46 over all and 60-40 5v5. A lot of high skilled young defenders do normally trend towards 60-40, thats what makar normally gets...I do agree take it with a grain of salt though.
Jul. 21, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
I make typos
yeah and like 20 other guys have signed their ELCs too, you don’t need to repost every oilers tweet here lol

oh sorry for assuming this was a prospect discussion thread where I was free to talk about anything related to NHL prospects, I wouldn't care if went on a whole rant Zary or Coronato or whoever although I wouldn't get to attached to them because they will probably take less money to NOT play in Calgary in the future
Jul. 21, 2022 at 11:53 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
oh sorry for assuming this was a prospect discussion thread where I was free to talk about anything related to NHL prospects, I wouldn't care if went on a whole rant Zary or Coronato or whoever although I wouldn't get to attached to them because they will probably take less money to NOT play in Calgary in the future

You’re right that this is a discussion thread, but you’re not discussing anything lmao, make a twitter account to retweet it because that’s all you’re doing by reposting it here. Nobody cares about a 1st rounder signing their ELC right after the draft. Most people barely care about non-1st rounders signing their ELCs. There’s nothing interesting or important about it, and there’s nothing to discuss. You literally always just post the tweet verbatim, and none of them are interesting enough to start a discussion about. If you want to talk about a prospect, write something about them that could start a back and forth or share information other people might be interested in, even if they don’t have anything to add. Talk about their development path, or their strengths/weaknesses and where you project them to play on the team, and how you think they’ll fit in the system or something like that. A prospect having a 4 point night or signing their ELC doesn’t interest anybody.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I think this upcoming season is going to be a real fun Calder race.

Nothing against Bunting, Seider, Raymond but it was a pretty plain race. It was all Raymond, then Bunting made his name known, but Seider ran away with it. It wasn’t that close and it wasn’t that “interesting” other than Seider Norris watch upcoming.

I’m pretty excited for this season because the cap crunch is really effecting teams and these ELC contracts are going to be crucial and even more so; there’s a ton of talent coming in.

Will Eklund be able to have success on David Quinn?
(I’m actually shedding a tear)

Will Powers lead Buffalo? Or will Quinn steal the spotlight?

Will Sanderson be the god he is praised to be?

Can Askarov steal a roster spot?

Will we see some dark horses? (Bords, Knies, Rossi, JJP, Turcotte, or some truly unknown names?)

Will Guenther come into play, does Wright or Slaf steal the show?

I can’t wait to watch this race - a lot more fun then most award “watching”.
BuFfaLOFaN, Db1899, AndrewLadd and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:09 a.m.
I think this upcoming season is going to be a real fun Calder race.

Nothing against Bunting, Seider, Raymond but it was a pretty plain race. It was all Raymond, then Bunting made his name known, but Seider ran away with it. It wasn’t that close and it wasn’t that “interesting” other than Seider Norris watch upcoming.

I’m pretty excited for this season because the cap crunch is really effecting teams and these ELC contracts are going to be crucial and even more so; there’s a ton of talent coming in.

Will Eklund be able to have success on David Quinn?
(I’m actually shedding a tear)

Will Powers lead Buffalo? Or will Quinn steal the spotlight?

Will Sanderson be the god he is praised to be?

Can Askarov steal a roster spot?

Will we see some dark horses? (Bords, Knies, Rossi, JJP, Turcotte, or some truly unknown names?)

Will Guenther come into play, does Wright or Slaf steal the show?

I can’t wait to watch this race - a lot more fun then most award “watching”.

It’s a shame the season isn’t longer, because if it was I feel like last year’s Calder race would’ve been a lot closer. Outside of the finalists and Raymond, there were some VERY strong rookie seasons from Boldy, Lundell, Swayman, Byram, Caufield, Durzi, Jeannot, Jarvis, Mercer, etc. and several of those were cut short by injury or other reasons (and I think a few would’ve continued to thrive in elevated positions in their lineups, like Lundell for example).

For next year, I don’t think Knies will be relevant because he’s going back to the NCAA lol. Pinto will be interesting, I could see him having a rookie season similar to Lundell’s this season, so probably not really in the running, but continuing to establish his floor as a strong 2-way 3C.
zk97, BuFfaLOFaN, AndrewLadd and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 22, 2022 at 11:13 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
It’s a shame the season isn’t longer, because if it was I feel like last year’s Calder race would’ve been a lot closer. Outside of the finalists and Raymond, there were some VERY strong rookie seasons from Boldy, Lundell, Swayman, Byram, Caufield, Durzi, Jeannot, Jarvis, Mercer, etc. and several of those were cut short by injury or other reasons (and I think a few would’ve continued to thrive in elevated positions in their lineups, like Lundell for example).

For next year, I don’t think Knies will be relevant because he’s going back to the NCAA lol. Pinto will be interesting, I could see him having a rookie season similar to Lundell’s this season, so probably not really in the running, but continuing to establish his floor as a strong 2-way 3C.

Forgot Pinto was still eligible!

Boldy woulda ran away with the award last year for sure if he had some more runway - and now he’s no longer eligible otherwise he woulda been my vote this year.

I’m interested in what Matthew Phillips can do if he gets a shot with the Flames, he’s always interested me.
Alfie11 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll