SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #9 - The Demise (Revival?) of Calgary

Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:36 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: justaBoss
I don't think they have anyone left to spend on him, even though it's a great target.

Horny, Samoskevich, Denisenko, 2026 1st...that's the best they could do without losing any big impact NHL guys.

Spencer Knight...? Like the Yotes originally wanted...?
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Spencer Knight...? Like the Yotes originally wanted...?

I don't think they have plans to move him. Bob is declining, it's only a matter of time before Knight becomes their 1G.
Db1899 liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:39 a.m.
What in tarnation
EDM and CGY should swap Kylington and Pulju. Flames get a big winger to fill at least some of the hole Tkachuk left, and Kylington is a decent 2nd pair option for Oilers to replace Keith.
Db1899, BuFfaLOFaN and yikes liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:39 a.m.
KFTW
Chychrun?

They have nothing to give
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
So

Hubeardeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Toffoli-Backlind-Colemann
?-Monahan-Dube
Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Wonder whose gonna fill in the ? Pellitar, Zary or do they sign or trade for a 2-3mill winger
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:41 a.m.
Ban Price trades
I don't think they have plans to move him. Bob is declining, it's only a matter of time before Knight becomes their 1G.

I agree that Bobrovsky isn't what he used to be, but having a $10M backup is completely unthinkable.

If the Panthers cannot win before Ekblad's deal is up, they will not win. This three-year window means everything, and the Lightning may or may not be about to teeter for good. I think the Panthers are forced to move everything they have to make the team in front of Bobrovsky as unbeatable as possible in order to win a cup in the next three years.

Likewise, who else can afford to take a year of Hornqvist as easily as Arizona? The fit is almost too good to ignore. It's probably imminent.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:42 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: csick
They have nothing to give

Denisenko, Knight, the only other first they can move, and Hornqvist for cap probably gets that deal done tonight.
KFTW
Denisenko, Knight, the only other first they can move, and Hornqvist for cap probably gets that deal done tonight.

They aren’t moving Knight or Lundell imo.
justaBoss and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Go leafs go
Quoting: DirtyDangle
i think his contract is up there. who do you think has the best contract?

As far as stars go, definitely Mack and Drais are way ahead of him. I think when his contract was signed it was bad, and now with the growth he’s had this year it’s probably close to fair. It has the potential to be a top contract in the future, because I do think Hughes has a ton of potential, but I also feel like it could be one of those meh whatever contracts that’s fine only because it’s a star player.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Calgary should call Arizona and trade for Crouse to be the 3rd line LW for them hes perfect for Suter's system and I believe will take the next step with them

Also gives Arizona more Assets to rebuild
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
What in tarnation
I agree that Bobrovsky isn't what he used to be, but having a $10M backup is completely unthinkable.

If the Panthers cannot win before Ekblad's deal is up, they will not win. This three-year window means everything, and the Lightning may or may not be about to teeter for good. I think the Panthers are forced to move everything they have to make the team in front of Bobrovsky as unbeatable as possible in order to win a cup in the next three years.

Likewise, who else can afford to take a year of Hornqvist as easily as Arizona? The fit is almost too good to ignore. It's probably imminent.

Reportedly should Bobrovsky not rebound FLA is going to find a trade for him, even if it means retaining half of his salary

Having a multi-million dollar 2G is obviously not the ideal situation but it wouldn't be the first time a guy under ELC simply takes over the position of the more experienced, expensive guy. Matt Murray in Pittsburgh in 2016 is a good example of this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:51 a.m.
Go leafs go
I’m in shock. The biggest trade since the Lindros trade and it came out of complete nowhere.
BuFfaLOFaN, zk97, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:55 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
So

Hubeardeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Toffoli-Backlind-Colemann
?-Monahan-Dube
Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Wonder whose gonna fill in the ? Pellitar, Zary or do they sign or trade for a 2-3mill winger

I would assume we’d try to bring someone in, whether that’s trading Kylington for someone or signing a guy like Milano or Steel, but if we don’t, it wouldn’t shock me if they put the Lucic-Monahan-Dube line back together. They actually controlled play super well at even strength together, they just had no finishing ability, so hopefully Dube spends the summer working on his shot so he can build on his hot finish to the year, and Monahan comes back fully healthy and motivated if that’s the case. I do feel like Calgary isn’t done by a long shot though.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:58 a.m.
EDM and CGY should swap Kylington and Pulju. Flames get a big winger to fill at least some of the hole Tkachuk left, and Kylington is a decent 2nd pair option for Oilers to replace Keith.

It’s not bad in theory, but I’d expect the Oilers to add at least a 2nd tbh. Kylington was very effective last year at both ends of the ice, and the Flames actually value him and trust him with big minutes. You can’t say the same about the Oilers and Puljujarvi. They’re on track to ruin his career (again).
Go leafs go
Just some quick thoughts on this trade for both teams.

For Calgary: man they might quickly lose a crap ton of superstars but this was the perfect move to keep them contending. If Huberdeau stays this is a massive W for them.

For Florida: they are getting a superstar who resigned with max term, so hard to fault them, but they have channeled their inner NBA and traded all their 1sts until freaking 2026. If they don’t win now their future is shot.

All in all, it’s honestly a win win trade. And the best thing about it is the chaos that it brings. We. Need. More. Of. This.
justaBoss, zk97, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
I would assume we’d try to bring someone in, whether that’s trading Kylington for someone or signing a guy like Milano or Steel, but if we don’t, it wouldn’t shock me if they put the Lucic-Monahan-Dube line back together. They actually controlled play super well at even strength together, they just had no finishing ability, so hopefully Dube spends the summer working on his shot so he can build on his hot finish to the year, and Monahan comes back fully healthy and motivated if that’s the case. I do feel like Calgary isn’t done by a long shot though.

Mentioned it in another post Crouse could be interesting good fast tough 3rd line LW with some upside and could be a huge asset under Sutter
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:59 a.m.
Mentioned it in another post Crouse could be interesting

Yeah but I’m not giving up a 1st for him which is apparently what the Coyotes want. I’d rather have Milano.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 12:59 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
Yeah but I’m not giving up a 1st for him which is apparently what the Coyotes want. I’d rather have Milano.

2nd + the guy you just got from Florida maybe believe it was Schwindt if thats not enough another B prospect should do fine
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:16 a.m.

Great idea
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:29 a.m.
mokumboi
Okay, this has to be asked: Has Doug Armstrong completely lost his touch? Seriously, he has been a replacement level GM since the Buch trade.
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:32 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mokumboi
Okay, this has to be asked: Has Doug Armstrong completely lost his touch? Seriously, he has been a replacement level GM since the Buch trade.

Im gonna say wait till after this season then you decide as at the TDL who knows maybe he trades for Miller and Blues win the cup or does another Nick Leddy move and then extends the guy and ****s over one of the youngsters
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:37 a.m.
mokumboi
Im gonna say wait till after this season then you decide as at the TDL who knows maybe he trades for Miller and Blues win the cup or does another Nick Leddy move and then extends the guy and ****s over one of the youngsters

Army is always replacement level at the TDL. He rarely does anything of note to add. His time is supposed to be now, post Cup finals/FA/trade time. And he has completely whiffed on this offseason. Horrible. HORRIBLE.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:39 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Kylington to Arizona for Lawson Crouse who to me is more of a Sutter guy makes more sense

But hey could also just trade a 2nd and 2 B prospects for him or something and keep Kylington wink
MikeKeenanHatesMe and Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:42 a.m.
What in tarnation
Kylington to Arizona for Lawson Crouse who to me is more of a Sutter guy makes more sense

But hey could also just trade a 2nd and 2 B prospects for him or something and keep Kylington wink

I think Crouse is one of the guys Zona is building that team around. I don't see him getting traded. Plus the last think ARI needs is another LHD.
Jul. 23, 2022 at 1:42 a.m.
Red Deer Is Superior
I’d do a cartwheel if knew how! What an amazingly weird night !!!
zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll