SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #12 - On The Links

Sep. 4, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Question: Which Contract that is not looked at as bad now do you think will age poorly?

My Answer: Darcy Keumper

As a Stars fan, my automatic reaction is usually whoever Jim Nill just signed (Marchment).

Realistically (I really hope my reaction above is wrong), I'll go with Nichushkin since he was awful in Dallas. Would be painful to see him play like this in Colorado for a long time.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Question: Which Contract that is not looked at as bad now do you think will age poorly?

My Answer: Darcy Keumper

Late to the game with this but other than some obvious ones, I'll go with:

or

Sep. 4, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: kdawg32086
As a Stars fan, my automatic reaction is usually whoever Jim Nill just signed (Marchment).

Realistically (I really hope my reaction above is wrong), I'll go with Nichushkin since he was awful in Dallas. Would be painful to see him play like this in Colorado for a long time.

I think Marchemnt is going to be a high end 2nd liner in Dallas , his contract will be looked at as a steal by mid season
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
retired
Quoting: MatthewsFan

or

mikheyev one was bad before the ink dried.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: DirtyDangle
that's until they are in the nhl. add on time for them to be experienced top 4 dmen. the devils forwards are ready to go now so i think the devils priority should be adding a good young dman.

Quoting: DirtyDangle
it's a bit of a wait for nemec and hughes. they should try a pick up a young guy that's ready now.

The Devils are neither in a position nor have any need to make a significant acquisition at D for this season.
The current D corps is NHL average at worst and adding another external piece to that would mean that none of Okhotiuk, Bahl or Walsh (all likely NHL caliber players this season or next) will have the chance to make the team in 22-23 or 23-24. It would be such a waste of developing those defenders without making any use of them.
Furthermore, the Devils have not yet entered their window of contention, that window opens next year and there really is no point in spending assets on marginal gains to pry that window open one year ealier.

Anyway, when Hughes arrives in 23-24 I think it's reasonable to expect him being an upgrade over Graves.
When 23-24 rolls around, I think it's reasonable to expect at least one of Bahl or Okhotiuk to have developed past B. Smith, if they haven't already.
Those two gains should be larger than the drop off experienced going from Severson to Walsh or, if he's ready, Nemec (I wouldn't mind it one bit if Nemec was allowed to develop in the minors for two seasons rather than one, might be the best for him and the team long-term).

If there's any upgrade to be made for the Devils, it is at wing.
I'd be absolutely made up if they managed Patrik Kane at a 2 x 9m deal or something, but Pastrnak could also be a viable target.

Thank you for attending my TedTalk.
I'll step down from my soapbox now.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 6:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

or

Yeah as soon as I saw Mikheyev I was like

Proud of you but Vancouver man you got scammed

As while Mikheyev's NHL story is incredible and I supported him through all his struggles especially when the fanbase gave up on him all the way and he had that incredible mid season rebound coming back from a broken thumb. But.... 4.75mill is way to much for what he did and with 0 guarantee of repeating this could end up being a huge W, a balanced out contract, or another Eriksson deal

As for Copp well if Larkin bails on Detroit to go get the bag there's their new 1c lul
DirtyDangle liked this.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 10:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

If he ever makes it to the NHL as a coach, god I hope he does this.

Got a feeling it wouldnt end well for that team who does that as then we would get a bigger meme than that Blues 3-0 on Demko or was it Markstrome
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:00 p.m.
I make typos
rr-tuch.jpg?w=865&ssl=1

This is supposedly Vegas RR jersey, imo it's pretty nice, and no idea why Tuch is the player pictured wearing it

the bright stripes on a black background is suppose to represent the Vegas strip at night.
EsoYeezus69, BigBallsBriere, Remus and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
rr-tuch.jpg?w=865&ssl=1

This is supposedly Vegas RR jersey, imo it's pretty nice, and no idea why Tuch is the player pictured wearing it

the bright stripes on a black background is suppose to represent the Vegas strip at night.

all jerseys that have just a word for the logo suck, including this one
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:08 p.m.
retired
rr-tuch.jpg?w=865&ssl=1

looks very vancouverish
oilersguy, BigBallsBriere and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:09 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Alfie11

normally I agree with u but for this jersey I just feel it works for some reason
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

6s9l5f.jpg
DirtyDangle, Tintin, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
rr-tuch.jpg?w=865&ssl=1

I like the jersey but they ruined it with Lettering

Why not just do something cool with a new iteration of the Knight. Why ruin it with Letters ugh
EsoYeezus69 and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Only jersey I was ever okay with in tems of letters was the California Seals

For some reason it just worked
Sep. 4, 2022 at 11:49 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
6s9l5f.jpg

yes, this jersey also sucks unfortunately. and so does the penguins one, and so does the rangers one, and so do the rest of the teams with jerseys like this lol
Quoting: aadoyle
Only jersey I was ever okay with in tems of letters was the California Seals

For some reason it just worked

any team that calls themselves an animal name that doesn’t have just that animal as their logo sucks by default tbh

words across the chest is a terrible logo. the vast majority of shields are terrible logos
Sep. 5, 2022 at 12:05 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
yes, this jersey also sucks unfortunately. and so does the penguins one, and so does the rangers one, and so do the rest of the teams with jerseys like this lol

any team that calls themselves an animal name that doesn’t have just that animal as their logo sucks by default tbh

words across the chest is a terrible logo. the vast majority of shields are terrible logos

In general Seals had a good jersey well k their Seal is more of a meme than a seal but hey the concept I saw if they ever went back was cool

image-asset.png?format=1000w

But still only jersey where I dont mind the lettering only
Remus and BigBallsBriere liked this.
Sep. 5, 2022 at 1:28 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Hockey question of the day

If the NHL added 4 new teams in the league right now, where would you put them

Atlantic: Quebec City. Atlanta
Metro: (Buffalo to Metro)
Central: Houston, Kansas City
Pacific: (Coyotes to Pacific)
Sep. 5, 2022 at 1:49 a.m.
Quoting: Devil

Quebec City, Houston, Hamilton/GTA, Milwaukee/Kansas City
Sep. 5, 2022 at 2:34 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Quebec City, Houston, Hamilton/GTA, Milwaukee/Kansas City

What he said
Sep. 5, 2022 at 9:07 a.m.
WentWughes

Think Halifax should be considered as an Atlantic team.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Sep. 5, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
Go leafs go

No Saskatchewan sarcasm
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Sep. 5, 2022 at 10:28 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Think Halifax should be considered as an Atlantic team.

Quoting: Saskleaf
No Saskatchewan sarcasm

I don't think the current market could support more Canadian teams beyond Hamilton and Quebec City. At least not as part of a possible 4-team expansion to bring the league to 36 total.

In fact I wouldn't prioritize either Canadian markets in an expansion. They don't make the kind of money proper expansion into American markets would. Houston, Milwaukee, Kansas City, and Portland should be prioritized as expansion locations simply based on the potential for revenue generation. Move Nashville into the eastern conference to accommodate the East/West balance.

I think places like Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon, and other "semi-major" Canadian metro centers have every claim to an AHL franchise but with sub-million populations there's never going to be any real justification to adding more Canadian NHL teams. If the US dollar is going to remain at least 20% higher than the Canadian dollar indefinitely, then maximizing that take home of the more valuable currency matters more in terms of the salary cap.

I would also hope the NHL adopts a relegation system similar to the SHL if they expand beyond 32 teams, but that's an entirely different topic.
Sep. 5, 2022 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I don't think the current market could support more Canadian teams beyond Hamilton and Quebec City. At least not as part of a possible 4-team expansion to bring the league to 36 total.

In fact I wouldn't prioritize either Canadian markets in an expansion. They don't make the kind of money proper expansion into American markets would. Houston, Milwaukee, Kansas City, and Portland should be prioritized as expansion locations simply based on the potential for revenue generation. Move Nashville into the eastern conference to accommodate the East/West balance.

I think places like Halifax, Regina, Saskatoon, and other "semi-major" Canadian metro centers have every claim to an AHL franchise but with sub-million populations there's never going to be any real justification to adding more Canadian NHL teams. If the US dollar is going to remain at least 20% higher than the Canadian dollar indefinitely, then maximizing that take home of the more valuable currency matters more in terms of the salary cap.

I would also hope the NHL adopts a relegation system similar to the SHL if they expand beyond 32 teams, but that's an entirely different topic.

If we have a relegation system the questions then becomes what league is it, or would we have like 2 16 team leagues or something, unless the AHL wants to be repurposed
Sep. 5, 2022 at 11:24 a.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK

Quebec City, Milwaukee, Houston, and Portland.
Sep. 5, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Oh I agree Saskatchewan would never support an nhl team. I mean the fan base would be there, but there simply is not enough people for it to work. All I’m asking is that the jets move the Moose to Saskatoon. They can even have the rush in return if they want.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll