Forums/NHL Trades

(MTL/DAL) - Dadonov for Gurianov

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: DongLord23
"Yeah I'll start it already. Massive return as in 1st round pick + meh prospect. That's a massive return IMO . Hell even a 2nd round pick is good enough"

"Dadonov is not a cap dump"

"Dadonov is a positive asset"

You just can't admit you were wrong lol.

Where was I wrong in any of those statements. You're literally ignoring the rest of our conversation where I already mentioned (literally 1 minute ago) where he had to continue his form. Hughes could've got a 4th Round pick, but opted with Gurianov instead which is a nice gamble IMO based on where he was a year ago.

Was Dadonov a cap dump? No
Was Dadonov a negative asset? No

But please, inform me how I'm wrong.
jpsnow13 and Xavier02 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Where was I wrong in any of those statements. You're literally ignoring the rest of our conversation where I already mentioned (literally 1 minute ago) where he had to continue his form. Hughes could've got a 4th Round pick, but opted with Gurianov instead which is a nice gamble IMO based on where he was a year ago.

Was Dadonov a cap dump? No
Was Dadonov a negative asset? No

But please, inform me how I'm wrong.

Of course he was a cap dump.

Vegas had to attach a 2nd to get rid of him before the trade didn't go through.

If he was a positive asset Vegas could've easily traded him for a pick. Like they did with Ryan Reaves.

Habs did Vegas a huge favor & should've gotten a pick back for taking his contract.

You had to retain 50% to trade for a guy that's a healthy scratch and barely plays. Like c'mon dude lol.

Why are you still trying to die on this hill
MasterLevi liked this.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:29 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: DongLord23
Of course he was a cap dump.

Vegas had to attach a 2nd to get rid of him before the trade didn't go through.

If he was a positive asset Vegas could've easily traded him for a pick. Like they did with Ryan Reaves.

Habs did Vegas a huge favor & should've gotten a pick back for taking his contract.

You had to retain 50% to trade for a guy that's a healthy scratch and barely plays. Like c'mon dude lol.

Why are you still trying to die on this hill

Vegas traded him at the TD for a 2nd round pick because they were desperate for cap space, just like NYR dumping Kravtsov for nothing because they wanted cap space. It's all about time and circumstances.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
As a habs fan, I am pretty happy about this deal.

It's just the kind of low risk, high reward trade for us. Gurianov has showed flashes in the past and I am happy MTL took a flyer on him.

As for Dallas, Dadonov is underrated imo.

So both teams benefit but MTL benefits a bit more.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Banned
Dallas cut loose Nichushkin, too. He's become a solid middle 6 winger.

No reason to believe Gurianov hasn't been misused in the same fashion.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 5:32 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I think it's a fair trade.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 6:48 p.m.
I thought this was a weird trade, when I first saw it, but I can see how it could make sense for both teams, especially Dallas. Both are effectively rentals because Gurianov is not going to get a $2.9M qualifying offer. Dadonov hasn’t done much lately either, but he seems to be better than Gurianov has been this season, so chances are he’ll be an upgrade for Dallas. Worst case, this deal frees up a bit of cap space for them, though that won’t mean anything unless they’re planning another move.

For Montreal, I guess there’s hope that at age 25, a change of scenery might help Gurianov recapture some of the potential he showed when he was younger. If so, they can try to sign him before the qualifying offer is due so they don’t have to overpay him to keep him. If not, they can just let him go and they haven’t lost anything. I feel like they should have got a late-round draft pick thrown in for retaining half of Dadonov’s salary and giving up what appears to be the better rental player, but even with the retention they had nothing to lose by making this trade, given that Dadonov was unlikely to return anything of significant value.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 7:53 p.m.
hes dynamite
I just dont see how this is anything but a dallas win. He's by far the more impactful player right now this season and I dont think it particularly important if either player sticks around with the team for next season.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 8:27 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: TN_T
I just dont see how this is anything but a dallas win. He's by far the more impactful player right now this season and I dont think it particularly important if either player sticks around with the team for next season.

That's the thing. Dadonov is not an impactful player.
90% of the time he's just skating. No bodywork, no stickwork, just skating. The other team doesn't even bother to check him most of the time because he's almost never in a position where he needs to be checked. He's just not a threat and going through the paces to let someone else take a breather.
I feel bad saying it but it's the truth.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he can be more effective on a team that slows the game down. He just can't play with pace. He doesn't have any playoff track record to determine if he's better suited for playoffs, but his 4 game stint doesn't suggest anything of the sort.

I hope he works out.

Gurianov on the other hand, has the signs of simply being miscast. Promising young scorer that didn't fit a system and had his role reduced to the point where he became ineffective.
He was a turnover machine and never had that coached out of his game, but was relatively fine otherwise.
Opposite of Dadonov where the ability is there but the mentality is not. His faults can be coached and mitigated.
He won't be winning any Selkes, but could have a net positive impact in a sheltered offensive role with a bit of work.
Feb. 26, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
TrevorA
Fair Deal but more of a Win for DAL since they get abplayer who could help them Score more for a Player they certainly weren’t going to qualify at $2.9mil and were probably going to lose anyways.

Will be interesting to see whether Gurianov rebounds in MTL and what he signs for or whether he even sticks around the NHL or heads home
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 27, 2023 at 9:21 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I think Gurianov has a bigger chance to help the Habs than a 6th round pick.
Feb. 27, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
WentWughes

Always a good sign when other teams were interested
Mar. 2, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.
Dallas Wins. Daddy has 3 points in 3 games. Guri has 0 points in 2 games.
Mar. 9, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
After tonight's game:

Dadonov - 5 pts (2-3) in 6 games with Dallas
Gurianov - 9 pts (2-7) in 43 games with Dallas

Dadonov has already matched Gurianov's goal production in a fraction of the games, lol.
ricochetii liked this.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 12:22 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: JCWM2
After tonight's game:

Dadonov has already matched Gurianov's goal production in a fraction of the games, lol.

Good to see Dadonov doing well. Glad he's thriving there. As a Habs fan, I would rather have Gurianov over Dadonov on Montreal due to age and Dadonov's UFA status, but teams win IMO, nothing wrong with that.
Mar. 10, 2023 at 4:56 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: JCWM2
After tonight's game:

Happy to see it!
Never disliked him, he was just completely ineffectual the majority of the time. Glad he found a fit.

Gurianov meanwhile, has 1 goal and 1 assist in 6 games and was on the 3rd line tonight.
Still looks out of sorts and I catch him standing upright too often for my liking, but adjustment can take time.
Jul. 11, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Jamie Benn is BACK
4 months later, is this now a clear Dallas win?
Jul. 11, 2023 at 7:49 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: kdawg32086
4 months later, is this now a clear Dallas win?

Nawh, Dad had little to no value for Montreal and we didn't want to bring him back. It's a clear Dallas W, but not a Montreal L
jr400 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit