SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CBJ/LAK/PHI) - 2023 1st (LAK), 2024 2nd (CBJ) for Petersen, Walker, Grans, 2024 2nd (LAK) for Provorov, Hodgson, Connauton

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
LA gets cap space to extend Vilardi and Gavrikov and potentially add Hart or Hellybuyck in another trade

CBJ get a Dman who in a lesser role may do much better

Philly kickstarts the rebuild

This could end up as "fair trade." But man oh man, look at you Philly. A 1st, two 2nd's, two reclamation projects and a prospect for a guy who'd stagnated on your blueline anyway?

"Kick start the rebuild" indeed. What a direct injection of prospect capital!
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Stay-at-home LD and 1B goalies seem to be the only type of players in abundance this UFA year; feel like Blake should hold firm and not over-reach on Gavrikov's contract just to leave himself short on Goalie quality.

I agree. Korpisalo should be the priority.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: drewjenkins
What TF are you talking about ??
Philly just traded Provorov for a:

- 1ST (22nd)
- 2nd (2024)
- 2nd (2024)
- 2nd (Helge Grans)
- 2nd (Sean Walker) [Estimated value if they decide to flip him and retain 50%]

- They did take on Petersen's cap dump, but they didn't retain anything on Provorov.
- And they're rebuilding right now, so Petersen's deal will expire without affecting them.

Provorov isn't that good.
This is YOOOOOGE value.

Sean Walker is not worth a 2nd. He's an overpaid 6th-7th defenseman. They might get a 4th-7th for him, but they would have to burn a retention spot because nobody is taking him at 2.6M. He is not playing at the level he played before.

Philadelphia traded Provorov and roughly 6.6M of bad cap (Petersen+Walker minus Kings retention on Provorov). You could argue that it's a bit less cap since both those players could be buried, but if they are buried they have to be replaced with a player making 750k, and most players make more than that, so it really doesn't save much to bury them.

They got a great return, but this isn't any different than most of the cap dump trades we have seen over the last few years. CHI got a projected high 2nd in the upcoming draft and a 4th to take on basically 1 year of Zaitsev. The Flyers a future 2nd (less value than current year) and a prospect previously selected in the 2nd round in exchange for taking on 6.6M of bad cap over 2 full seasons. Then they got a similar return for Provorov at 4.XXM that Detroit got for Hronek, and LAK previously paid CBJ for Gavrikov (as a rental).

It was good work by Philadelphia, but it looks bigger than it is because it's two trades squished together into one. If you break it all down, it's pretty similar to what other teams have received in comparable deals. It's not reinventing the wheel.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
Quoting: CoraStorm
Columbus is overstocked on Defensemen so what do they do, they bring in more. Alright. okay, including Bean and Werenski on 82.5, they have 33%+ of their salary on defense. Alright, so now Columbus' young D don't play anytime in the future, ex Svozil, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Ceulemans, etc. I mean fist round picks wanna' play. See Buff's defense. I'm guessing their wanting to be trades as of yesterday. Columbus lost a first round pick for Gavrikov and Korpisalo, and Quick; retaining the 3rd round pick and 7 round pick and Hutchinson; LAK stripped you of your charms, Philly took your experience; Essentially nothing to show for Korpisalo and Gavrikov, right. I'm looking at those young dmen out of Columbus' farms, of course, because theres no chance of getting to the next level.

33% of salary on d doesn't seem crazy. 57% on forwards, 10% on goalies
Jun. 7, 2023 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
I agree. Korpisalo should be the priority.

The Kings aren't interested in re-signing Korpisalo. They weren't impressed by him in his LA stint.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 8:05 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The spectacle of the in-over-his-head newbie talking smug when the events of the day prove him 100% wrong is truly hilarious.

All of us who know our team intimately knew that some cap-relieving action was necessary. Your solution was the worst -- giving away a good player at far below his value. When I criticized that feckless proposal, you affected an unfounded air of knowledge by fatuously intimating that I was unaware of "all of the pieces of the puzzle," having no doubt failed to look at my profile first and thus learn that the a priori expectation of knowing the Kings better than you was and is astronomical.

The trade today, while disappointing in that none of us LA fans expected the cost to be so high, is the exact opposite of what you thought the answer to our cap problems should be; it utterly and definitively refutes the approach of dumping Arvidsson (or Iafallo) for virtually nothing.

Lecturing people who have years and years more experience following and watching a team than you do on the intricacies of their team's situation doesn't usually end well, particularly when you're not sophisticated enough to know when your argument has been flattened.

Flattened argument? Newbies? Gross. This is a message forum. Grow up. Using words like sophisticated in a condescending tone is cowardly stuff when it’s plain as day that you are eluding to intelligence. I wish I could pick fights on the internet with a long, tasteless diatribe like this, sounds like a sad life you live.
Jun. 9, 2023 at 11:12 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Flattened argument? Newbies? Gross. This is a message forum. Grow up. Using words like sophisticated in a condescending tone is cowardly stuff when it’s plain as day that you are eluding to intelligence. I wish I could pick fights on the internet with a long, tasteless diatribe like this, sounds like a sad life you live.

Members of the CapFriendly community -- especially inexperienced ones -- whose first comment to me is an insult -- especially a fatuous and easily refuted one -- can expect that I will respond forcefully, and effectively. After all, this is a message forum.

The spectacle of people who start fights and then whine and cry about getting a bloody nose always amuses me.

You're entitled to your opinions of and about me. After all, this is a message forum.
Jun. 23, 2023 at 8:28 a.m.
PHI got alot of what THEY needed for provorov.

provorov was PHI's number 1 defenseman, no bones about that. He stagnated. But a 1st, 2 2nds, a much needed RD prospect, a solid 3rd pairing Walker to help Grans or Attard develop is a great return. While taking on Petersen hurts, ultimately PHI had cap space and couldn;t say no to that return.

I even like the fact PHI dumped 2 old AHLers who were going nowhere just to cut down on their contracts.

For PHI: 2 losses here in Provorov and taking on Petersen, but the return is far more than what most thought they'd get for Provorov (a 1st and 2nd), so getting Grans, another 2nd and a serviceable Walker is a good deal for them.

I know LA needed cap space, but I just dont get the Provorov retention. And CBJ? Just not sure why they needed/wanted Provorov
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Dec. 16, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Tintin
There's reason to believe that the Flyers D corps actually got better through this trade:

Results are in.
The Flyers did D corps did get better with Walker in it.
Shocker.
Jan. 23 at 9:24 p.m.
So Philly made out like bandits, CBJ did fine, Provorov's been decent, he's not the problem in CBJ, LA did horrid, they did need to move Petersen but that's a lot to dump him
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Jan. 23 at 10:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So Philly made out like bandits, CBJ did fine, Provorov's been decent, he's not the problem in CBJ, LA did horrid, they did need to move Petersen but that's a lot to dump him

LAK would have been great if they didnt waste the space making the PLD trade lul

Man its ugly as look at Vilardi in WPG. Sure cant stay healthy but still lul.
Mar. 15 at 4:00 p.m.
Got a first out of sean walker. trade keeps on getting better for philly

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit