SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CBJ/LAK/PHI) - 2023 1st (LAK), 2024 2nd (CBJ) for Petersen, Walker, Grans, 2024 2nd (LAK) for Provorov, Hodgson, Connauton

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:44 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
Quoting: BruinsGM37
I’m neutral here. For LA, I feel like you need to get something back for what you gave up, BUT they cleared 5 million in cap. That’s something I want the Bruins to do, trade Ullmark for a pick. But don’t get fleeced like LA.

They Trade Peterson (3.9M cap hot when buried), Walker (2.65) a 2nd plus retention to effectively save $4.5M.

They should have been able to trade Walker for positive value like a 2nd. I then though Peterson would cost at least a 1st to get rid. So im saying they could have had two seconds and 7.5M in cap space
BruinsGM37 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:45 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
Quoting: gopherit
wait....we can do trades now?

Yes always. traded players after TDL just cant play until the next season
A_Habs_fan, jpsnow13, gopherit and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
Quoting: gopherit
wait....we can do trades now?

You can always do trades, trades made post TDL though players can’t play in the playoffs and generally speaking, playoff teams don’t trade during the playoffs
Steven_Stamkos, FarhanLuigi, jpsnow13 and 5 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:47 p.m.
OldSLIMEfan
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I'm happy about the cap savings but definitely not thrilled about the price to obtain it, and not just because I said many times that we wouldn't have to pay this.

Your season tickets didnt help, indeed. Maybe try being a bit more cordial in your responses.

Quoting: KyleDubasWWEFAN

Arvidsson was had for little and he will return little. You are creating your own narrative this isnt POJ for Arvidsson. There are many more pieces to the puzzle which includes LAK creating 7M in cap space which is an asset, itself. Read the description.

Quoting: OldNYIfan
You're going to lecture me on my team's needs when I've had season tickets for more than 25 years?!? You think that there are "many more pieces to the puzzle" that I don't understand infinitely better than you ever will?!?!? What a joke.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Amazing trade for the Flyers getting a haul for Provorov, Kings didn't lose this trade but could have found a better way to clear cap but at the end of the day they cleared cap which was important for them.

Still trying to figure out why the Jackets did this trade. I think they where better options than Provorov at that price.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:52 p.m.
OldSLIMEfan
Quoting: Ritzy
Or, for the people who aren't cynics, PHI gets a 1st, 2 2nds, a 21 yr old defense prospect, a roster defenseman who they can flip for a little something and yeah a bad contract (for a rebuilding team, who cares).

Epic Briere.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:56 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: AK50
Did LA really use Grans Helge and a 2nd to dump off Petersen?

Quoting: BCAPP
And Walker and retained 2 million dollars for 2 years

People underevaluate how much it cost to dump $5M of real money salary.

2x2nd + Walker is still a better deal for LA than a 1st strait up.
exo2769 and FarhanLuigi liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 4:58 p.m.
Well Kings fans. I guess Rob Blake was a lot more motivated to move that Peterson contract than every Kings fan on this site thought.
FarhanLuigi, exo2769, sensonfire and 5 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
I just hope for LA's sake they do something really worthwhile with that bit of space they opened up. Maybe it is just to be able to resign folks but man that is rough.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:02 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13

I would agree with that but it isn't what happened. But they didn't dump 5 mil. They dumped 3 mil as they had to retain 2 mil on Provorov. They paid all that to essentially dump petersen at 3 million. That's bad
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
The more I dig, the more confused I am with LAK. Why are they retaining on Provorov?

Still have Vilardi, JAD and Kupari to to sign, two of which have arb rights. Gavrikov is allegedly going to get 6-7M, on a two year deal (which is wild). Still need a backup or starting goalie depending on how you view Copley and at least one other defenseman.
A_Habs_fan, sensonfire, OldNYIfan and 3 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
exo2769

This trade was indeed exorbitant due to real dollars. LAK dump $3.35M in salary from Walker, $11M from Peterson, and won't need to get into Provy's signing bonuses. Only paying him ~$3.6M. It's not a lot of cap savings. Just $1.8M for two years depending on how we view Sean Walker being a dump or not...aka...how realistic would it have been to trade him else where for futures vs including him in this deal meaning positive value.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
exo2769
I would agree with that but it isn't what happened. But they didn't dump 5 mil. They dumped 3 mil as they had to retain 2 mil on Provorov. They paid all that to essentially dump petersen at 3 million. That's bad

Not even Peterson at $3M. His AHL cap hit was $3.85M since he was waived. Depending on how you view Walker, they did all this to save ~$1.85M in cap.
BCAPP liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:06 p.m.
OldSLIMEfan
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Well Kings fans. I guess Rob Blake was a lot more motivated to move that Peterson contract than every Kings fan on this site thought.

And, they were pretty arrogant about it. Not sure how they can be so sure of something they cant control along with a hard cap. No salary dump should be dismissed so easily. I keep hearing the cap went up a million dollars so everything is fine lol Player bonuses off ELCs don't even get covered with the overages on that 1M increase. For a salary cap site, most people here are quite oblivious to the hard salary cap. The irony.

Quoting: poeticentropy
I just hope for LA's sake they do something really worthwhile with that bit of space they opened up. Maybe it is just to be able to resign folks but man that is rough.

Auston Matthews. Petersen deal stretched to 2025
Hawksguy81 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:12 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: exo2769
Not even Peterson at $3M. His AHL cap hit was $3.85M since he was waived. Depending on how you view Walker, they did all this to save ~$1.85M in cap.

Your math is wrong.

People cant understand the difference between a caphit dump and a salary dump.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
Nah.
Babcock and Provorov.

Jarmo really decided to burn the HR department to the ground.
darthsummer and Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
Banned
Your math is wrong.

I donno why you bother. Let them feel important. They clearly need it.
FarhanLuigi liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
OldSLIMEfan
Your math is wrong.

Yeah that math is insane. Lumping together contracts as if they are all equal. Like tossing every fruit in the basket while ignoring which fruit is what.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
lol if Provorov can get this... imagine what Kuzy will get
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Good trade for the Flyers to kick off their rebuild. Who knows, maybe Cal Petersen bounces back and they can get something for him next year with retention.

The Kings moved out a ton of salary. They did not pay very much to do so. I am skeptical they would have found a taker for Sean Walker without salary coming back. They obviously were not going to find a taker on Petersen.

Provorov has struggled the last few years. It's an interesting move for Columbus, because they almost traded the same assets they got from Gavrikov to replace him with Provorov. Gavrikov did not want to stay in Columbus, so keeping him wasn't an option. The retention on Provorov gives Columbus some more flexibility if they want to move on from Provorov at the 2025 trade deadline, because with retention his cap hit could be brought down to 2.3625. They were in on Chychrun last year, so they clearly have been looking for a mobile LHD for a while.

The Flyers got great value, but it's always easier to "win" trades as the rebuilding team who is seller. If the Kings sign Gavrikov to a huge AAV as rumoured, I suspect people will not like this trade for them, since this trade opens up the cap space for the Kings to make that move. I don't think this is as bad for Columbus as people might make it out to be. Provorov is signed for 2 more years at what is now a more appropriate cap hit for what he brings. Columbus has a difficult time attracting free agents or retaining players because players perceive that it isn't the most ideal city to live in. So you can't just say "why not sign a UFA for free", it's probably not applicable. If Provorov is not a good fit and doesn't stay in Columbus, odds are that they will recoup some value on him at the 2025 trade deadline.
OldNYIfan and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
ATTN all ACGM's

To free up $1.8mm in cap space it costs:

Walker-level + a 2nd round pick
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Emme luota heihin
Fairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr deal!

It is realism that Columbus gets insane potential to support their very bad defending. Columbus needs the MOST something like this and they don`t need theme draft picks like Fyers. They did what must do. Exellent work for both teams!
I like this still also for Kings
Kings must refresh after lose for Oilers. They love throwing away these contracts, Walker, Petersen.
Good good work for Kings
Jun. 6, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
I think it's more likely that PHI would prefer not to take Walker's cap hit, but had to take him as part of the deal.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: AlCanal
Philly gets **** on again...Philly only gets a late 1st, Philly takes on a bad Contract, Philly loses one of its best assets, Walker is nothing to get excited about. Philly loses this deal.

What TF are you talking about ??
Philly just traded Provorov for a:

- 1ST (22nd)
- 2nd (2024)
- 2nd (2024)
- 2nd (Helge Grans)
- 2nd (Sean Walker) [Estimated value if they decide to flip him and retain 50%]

- They did take on Petersen's cap dump, but they didn't retain anything on Provorov.
- And they're rebuilding right now, so Petersen's deal will expire without affecting them.

Provorov isn't that good.
This is YOOOOOGE value.
FarhanLuigi, A_Habs_fan, CSStrowbridge and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:10 p.m.
OldSLIMEfan
Quoting: drewjenkins
What TF are you talking about?
Philly traded Provorov for a ....

- 1ST (22nd)
- 2nd (2024)
- 2nd (2024)
- 2nd (Helge Grans)
- 2nd (Sean Walker's estimated value if they decide to flip him and retain 50%)

- They did take on Petersen's cap dump, but they didn't retain anything on Provorov.
- And they're rebuilding right now, so Petersen's deal will expire without affecting them.

Provorov isn't that good.
This is YOOOOGE value.

I've seen a Canucks fan refuse a 1st and 3rd for Boeser with no retention. The amount of galaxy brain is never in short supply here.
Zubrowka liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit