SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CBJ/LAK/PHI) - 2023 1st (LAK), 2024 2nd (CBJ) for Petersen, Walker, Grans, 2024 2nd (LAK) for Provorov, Hodgson, Connauton

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
lottery team fan
hardcore kings L, especially since all this cap space they got is going towards overpaying gavrikov
Saskleaf, rollie1967, BigBallsBriere and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 6:41 p.m.
MajorMoose
Fantastic start by Briere
Jun. 6, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Columbus, what the hell are you doing. I mean, they get an another great LHD to give Werenski some support. Trading a 1st and a 2nd though, that’s a bit too much. Provorov needs a great bounce back season for this package to be worth it.

They get rid of almost $6M in cap savings in 23-24 and almost $3M in cap savings in 24-25. Walker was a solid depth player and moving Helge and a 2nd to create valuable cap space isn’t a bad idea.

A Briere masterclass. This trade is great for Philadelphia. They got two 2nd’s a 1st and more players. What a trade.
darthsummer, BigBallsBriere, majormoose007 and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Gavrikov didn’t want out of Columbus. They even agreed on $AAV. It was the term they couldn’t agree upon. (I think ownership had more influence on that decision than Jarmo.)

So yeah, CBJ sent essentially their return for Gavrikov (AND Korpisalo) to replace him with a Russian LD with just two years of term remaining. And making assumptions again, but the retention was likely as much about saving real world money. As it is, they owe him $6M/year, which to them is more critical than cap space. Last season, injuries were blamed for the Jackets’ struggles. But they left potentially well over $20M in LTIR on the board.

This Kings pick was always going to be moved for a player, but this seems to be the mediocre maneuver, not a home run swing. But mediocrity is ownership’s aim: lose competitively, mitigate financial risk, and make hires based on resume rather than logical fit.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
A few things:

First, Sean Walker is not negative value. Worst case, someone would have taken him for free. So it's a mistake to think of his contract as being a dump here.

Petersen's cap hit while buried in the AHL was $3.85M. Provorov's retained cap hit (not able to be buried) is $2.025M. The Kings essentially paid a 2nd round pick and Helge Grans for 2 seasons of $1.825M in cap relief.

The Kings also get a couple AHL scrubs.

I don't like it.
Saskleaf and sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
This is really two separate trades that were combined into one so Philadelphia wouldn’t have to burn one of their salary retention slots.

The first trade is Provorov from Philadelphia to Columbus with $2M retained for a 1st and a 2nd. This seems like fair value for Provorov given that he’s still pretty young and has two years left on his contract, but is overpaid at $6.75M cap hit. It makes sense for Philadelphia if they’ve decided to rebuild or even if they’ve just decided to move on from him. I don’t think Columbus wants to rebuild after spending all that money on Gaudreau, so it’s a fair price for a player who probably makes them better.

The other trade is pretty much a straight cap dump – LA giving Walker, a prospect and a 2nd to Philly for two minor leaguers to dump $3M of Petersen’s cap hit. (LA could have retained on Petersen instead of Provorov – it makes no difference to them because both players have 2 years left on their contracts – so this didn’t need to be part of a 3-way trade.) LA can do better things with that cap hit, but the price seems a little high given that he was in the minors, which reduces what they save to less than $2M. They save more by including Walker, but I don’t think he’s overpaid enough to call him a dump, and whether he actually saves them anything will depend on how they replace him. The fact that Philadelphia is taking a cap dump looks like a rebuild move, but Walker will play for them (though he could be flipped at the deadline if they don’t extend him, possibly for a 3rd), and their scouts may think that Petersen still has a chance to regain some of his old form with a change of scenery.

It'll be interesting to see what these teams do next. Is this the start of a housecleaning in Philadelphia? Will Columbus make more short-term additions? How will LA spend their cap space?
Zubrowka liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
Your math is wrong.

People cant understand the difference between a caphit dump and a salary dump.

Before they had Petersen at 5 million. Now they have no player and a 2.05 million of dead cap...
Jun. 6, 2023 at 8:49 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
LA got fleeced by both teams
BCAPP, sensonfire and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 8:56 p.m.
Retaining partner as part of a cap dump? Some "future considerations" paid back from the Gavrikov trade? I feel like I'm trying to wrap my head around the 4th dimension as to why LA didn't get anything from CBJ.
OldNYIfan and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 9:10 p.m.
i think Provorov will be a fine top 4 dman for Columbus- albeit he may play behind Werenski, I do expect a rebound from him. So they did pretty good in the deal, but Philly did very well. Again i dont think Peterson is a rightoff (yet) and may bounce back- but I doubt he is much more than an expensive backup in Philly. Considering the graveyard that Philly goaltending has become over the last 2 decades... I doubt he totally regains his form- but maybe just a fresh start and lots of icetime is enough for him to get his game back.

Of course on paper the Kings lose this deal by a mile...but thats not a fair comparison- as this will allow them to retain Gavrikov (most likely). IF they spend that capspace wisely (unlike they did with both Peterson and to a lesser extent Walker) they might be able to make this a push....but thats a tall task.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 9:18 p.m.
Your math is wrong.

People cant understand the difference between a caphit dump and a salary dump.

Wait it you are claiming we should look at salary not cap hit, it's even worse

They got out of paying Petersen 11 million over the next two years (6 million next year 5 million the year after). But they are paying 30% of Provorov's deal to make it work. Provorov in real dollars is making 8.5 and 8.625 real money or $17.125 million in the next two years. 30% of that is $5.1375

So they are saving actually $5.8625 million for the next two years total or $2.8325 million per year...

For the individu years instead of paying Petersen 6 million next year they'll pay Provorov $2.55 so they'll save $3.45 million next year. The year after instead of paying Petersen $5 mil they'll pay Provorov $2.5875 so they'll save only $2.425 mil.

So in the end they are saving $3 mil in cap hit (or less if he was waived) and a drop less than $3 mil a year in cash.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
Quoting: Hat_Trick_Swayze
Retaining partner as part of a cap dump? Some "future considerations" paid back from the Gavrikov trade? I feel like I'm trying to wrap my head around the 4th dimension as to why LA didn't get anything from CBJ.

I think Blake out thought himself like a lot of people on here and some "analysts" are saying. Blake needed cap space and got it. They even opened up a ride shot slot for Brandt. So "mission accomplished". But it's absolutely terrible asset management as it treats Walker as if he's a negative. It's such short sighted analysis that it's shocking to me how many overlook it. A good gm has to be better than that
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
hes dynamite
what a wierd trade. I wanna say that the Flyers won... but then I look at other cap dump trades (Like OEL to the canucks) and it just doesnt seem like alot to take on the 5mil dead money for Petersen
Jun. 6, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: BCAPP
Wait it you are claiming we should look at salary not cap hit, it's even worse

They got out of paying Petersen 11 million over the next two years (6 million next year 5 million the year after). But they are paying 30% of Provorov's deal to make it work. Provorov in real dollars is making 8.5 and 8.625 real money or $17.125 million in the next two years. 30% of that is $5.1375

So they are saving actually $5.8625 million for the next two years total or $2.8325 million per year...

For the individu years instead of paying Petersen 6 million next year they'll pay Provorov $2.55 so they'll save $3.45 million next year. The year after instead of paying Petersen $5 mil they'll pay Provorov $2.5875 so they'll save only $2.425 mil.

So in the end they are saving $3 mil in cap hit (or less if he was waived) and a drop less than $3 mil a year in cash.

Congrats on the numbers.

Now imagine you owe a useless player 11 milions dollars. Then Briere comes around and tells you, I will pay 6 milions of your debt for 2x2nds+ Walker.

You look around and see that Calgary had to pay a 1st to get rid of a $6M debt in dead salary less than a year ago.

Suddently, PHI's offer sounds like a bloody good deal!

I don't really care if people don't agree with this chain of though. Obviously, not everybody understand that GM's are more competent to establish market prices than they are.
FarhanLuigi liked this.
Jun. 6, 2023 at 11:54 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Quoting: Caufield
Philly: Gets really good value for Prov, even though they take Petty as well

LA: Receives valuable cap space

Columbus: What the heck are they doing

Is this Columbus’s attempt to fix all their issues? I love Provorov since hes a wheat kings boy, but wow.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 12:49 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: KyleDubasWWEFAN
Your season tickets didnt help, indeed. Maybe try being a bit more cordial in your responses.

The spectacle of the in-over-his-head newbie talking smug when the events of the day prove him 100% wrong is truly hilarious.

All of us who know our team intimately knew that some cap-relieving action was necessary. Your solution was the worst -- giving away a good player at far below his value. When I criticized that feckless proposal, you affected an unfounded air of knowledge by fatuously intimating that I was unaware of "all of the pieces of the puzzle," having no doubt failed to look at my profile first and thus learn that the a priori expectation of knowing the Kings better than you was and is astronomical.

The trade today, while disappointing in that none of us LA fans expected the cost to be so high, is the exact opposite of what you thought the answer to our cap problems should be; it utterly and definitively refutes the approach of dumping Arvidsson (or Iafallo) for virtually nothing.

Lecturing people who have years and years more experience following and watching a team than you do on the intricacies of their team's situation doesn't usually end well, particularly when you're not sophisticated enough to know when your argument has been flattened.
Ritzy, jpsnow13 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 3:52 a.m.
I've seen a Canucks fan refuse a 1st and 3rd for Boeser with no retention. The amount of galaxy brain is never in short supply here.

This makes more sense. Boeser's dad died, he hurt his back, and then he wanted a trade, because he just needed a change of scenery. Now he's healthy and wants to stay.

If he bounces back, then he'd be worth a hell of a lot more than a 1st and a 3rd, assuming you are trading him to a playoff team.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 6:57 a.m.
OldSLIMEfan

I don't really care if people don't agree with this chain of though. Obviously, not everybody understand that GM's are more competent to establish market prices than they are.

The amount of users here that dismiss what GMs do in the market and claim it isn't correct but what they say is more conducive despite these moves being repeated over and over by GMs when the same user here probably cant even get their own personal debt in order will never not be amusing.

Quoting: CSStrowbridge
This makes more sense. Boeser's dad died, he hurt his back, and then he wanted a trade, because he just needed a change of scenery. Now he's healthy and wants to stay.

If he bounces back, then he'd be worth a hell of a lot more than a 1st and a 3rd, assuming you are trading him to a playoff team.

If wishes were horses.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 7:22 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: OldNYIfan
The spectacle of the in-over-his-head newbie talking smug when the events of the day prove him 100% wrong is truly hilarious.

All of us who know our team intimately knew that some cap-relieving action was necessary. Your solution was the worst -- giving away a good player at far below his value. When I criticized that feckless proposal, you affected an unfounded air of knowledge by fatuously intimating that I was unaware of "all of the pieces of the puzzle," having no doubt failed to look at my profile first and thus learn that the a priori expectation of knowing the Kings better than you was and is astronomical.

The trade today, while disappointing in that none of us LA fans expected the cost to be so high, is the exact opposite of what you thought the answer to our cap problems should be; it utterly and definitively refutes the approach of dumping Arvidsson (or Iafallo) for virtually nothing.

Lecturing people who have years and years more experience following and watching a team than you do on the intricacies of their team's situation doesn't usually end well, particularly when you're not sophisticated enough to know when your argument has been flattened.

But, have you tried being more cordial?
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 8:32 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Flyers A
CBJ B
LA J-

I think Philly got good fair value for Provorov, and managed to own LA in the process. I'll miss Provy, I think like many other Flyers he's been dealt an unfortunate hand, he was never given the chance to properly develop has had the responsibility of 25 minutes a night and playing all situations every game since he's been 19. I think he will get back on track in a lesser role with CBJ. Also Flyers get a haul to kick start their rebuild, and can probably flip Walker if he's decent next year, while also giving us more flexibility with TDA.

Columbus gets a defenseman who has a versatile playstyle, he'll make boneheaded mistakes but when he's playing at his peak he's a good Dman and will be much better as a 2nd pair with less responsibility. They also get him at 4m, so even if it's an iffy fit your paying him a very reasonable amount.

LAK forced this too much imo, they helped the Flyers by retaining Provy and gave us back assets, and their newfound cap space will just be used to overpay another player. (Gavy). Moves your forcing shouldn't be made.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:02 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Ritzy
But, have you tried being more cordial?

Only with guys whose opinions I respect, like you, and with people I don't know who don't insult me first. Just think of me as The Nasty Old Man Who Overreacts to Being Lectured by Newbies on the Inner Workings of His Own Team. People have an absolute right -- a right that comes close to a duty -- to dispute my evaluations of players, including my own, because homerism is rampant, but affecting a superior knowledge of my favorite franchise(s) on roster, cap, prospect or even anecdotal intricate details is a foolish effort.
Ritzy and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:10 a.m.
PHI W
CBJ L
LAK L
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:20 a.m.
If wishes were horses.

Just look at the most recent trade deadline. We've seen rentals get about the same returns.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:44 a.m.
Quoting: Hat_Trick_Swayze

LA didn't get anything from CBJ because they didn't really do anything for CBJ. As I mentioned in my post yesterday, this was really two separate trades. If they were kept separate, Philadelphia would have picked up the retention on Provorov going to Columbus, but then in the other trade they would have got LA to retain a similar amount on Petersen so that the net change in cap hits for each team would have come out pretty much the same as it did in the 3-way trade. Look at LA retaining on Provorov as being equivalent to them retaining on Petersen. It doesn't matter to them which player they write the check to, but doing it this way saves Philadelphia a salary retention slot, which could be useful at the trade deadline. That's the only reason I can see for combining these two trades into one.
Jun. 7, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.
I don't see how LA can still re-sign Gavrikov at the reported $5.7 AAV x 2 after this deal. That leaves them with around $3.8 million in cap space to offer: Korpisalo (or another #1ish goalie) and extend Vilardi.

Stay-at-home LD and 1B goalies seem to be the only type of players in abundance this UFA year; feel like Blake should hold firm and not over-reach on Gavrikov's contract just to leave himself short on Goalie quality.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit