SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Sep. 18, 2023 at 4:39 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Brian2016
What's wrong with that statement? Other than the fact that it offends you personally that they hired a coach who didn't prioritize the fragile emotional states of his players. If you're gonna criticize someone's take on something, back it up with some substance. Otherwise, don't say anything.

Ha! The guy talking out his rear like snake oil is on sale wants substance! Amazing.

Let's be perfectly clear: you have no idea what you're on about, either about Babcock's behavior or about me or about setting up an honest premise. And looking to the dumb***es who hired him in the first place to accept the errors of their ways solely out of self-reflection is just pie in the sky (though apparently running cover for him and destroying their team in the process is okay... or something). That's all deflection nonsense. Just like all your little manufactured, disingenuous, manipulative attempts at points... oh, they just have nothing else to write about so they railroad a good man!!! He just did what he thought he was supposed to do!!!

PUH-LEASE.

Also, this is a public forum, so it's cute how you think you're some sort of dictator. NEWSFLASH: Ya ain't. Reel it in, Napoleon.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I mean, fairly accurate title down there.

I fully defend Babcock under what Biz said - “he asked for players phones”.

It seems Babcock did more than ask, which absolutely crosses the line for me. He can be let into your personal life if you choose, not the other way around. I get the sense from the quotes he felt entitled to access the phones to check a players character, and did not give the players a choice.

So far this summer non-performance league headlines have been:

Coyotes arena failure
Galchenyuk (Kapanen too but way less) ending bloodlines
Possible gang sexual act charges for possibly more than 1 active player
Now this

On the good side I have to give Bedard credit. As a blues fan, I can say he has been the beacon of the future, positivity, and I am impressed. That’s it. Back to hating Chicago.

The Beaverton - Toxic Actions of Toxic Coach of Toxic Sport in Toxic League exposed by Toxic Host of Toxic Podcast on Toxic Website

For sure, Toxic Actions of Toxic Coach of Toxic Sport in Toxic League exposed by Toxic Host of Toxic Podcast on Toxic Website accurately sums this up
BigBallsBriere, zk97, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 4:57 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I mean, fairly accurate title down there.

I fully defend Babcock under what Biz said - “he asked for players phones”.

It seems Babcock did more than ask, which absolutely crosses the line for me. He can be let into your personal life if you choose, not the other way around. I get the sense from the quotes he felt entitled to access the phones to check a players character, and did not give the players a choice.

So far this summer non-performance league headlines have been:

Coyotes arena failure
Galchenyuk (Kapanen too but way less) ending bloodlines
Possible gang sexual act charges for possibly more than 1 active player
Now this

On the good side I have to give Bedard credit. As a blues fan, I can say he has been the beacon of the future, positivity, and I am impressed. That’s it. Back to hating Chicago.

The Beaverton - Toxic Actions of Toxic Coach of Toxic Sport in Toxic League exposed by Toxic Host of Toxic Podcast on Toxic Website

You forgot about Sprong
Sep. 18, 2023 at 8:37 p.m.
Go Habs Go
I'm not defending what he did or didn't do. I would like to know why this issue wasn't dealt with through the chain of command. There's a reason teams have captains. This issue speaks to disfunction within the organization as much as anything.

I commented on that already. Recent times have given players pause in regards to their belief in the chain of command being the right approach to sensitive issues.
It's going to take a while for any NHL organization to overcome the perception created by other organizations.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 4:15 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Ha! The guy talking out his rear like snake oil is on sale wants substance! Amazing.

Let's be perfectly clear: you have no idea what you're on about, either about Babcock's behavior or about me or about setting up an honest premise. And looking to the dumb***es who hired him in the first place to accept the errors of their ways solely out of self-reflection is just pie in the sky (though apparently running cover for him and destroying their team in the process is okay... or something). That's all deflection nonsense. Just like all your little manufactured, disingenuous, manipulative attempts at points... oh, they just have nothing else to write about so they railroad a good man!!! He just did what he thought he was supposed to do!!!

PUH-LEASE.

Also, this is a public forum, so it's cute how you think you're some sort of dictator. NEWSFLASH: Ya ain't. Reel it in, Napoleon.

The problem with people like you is that you either forgot how to debate or you never learned. As soon as you're challenged you get defensive and start lashing out, speaking in all caps, and name calling. Your opinions aren't facts and you need to start accepting other peoples' views, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. Hopefully, you'll do better in the future.

Nothing is gained from an echo chamber.
darthsummer liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 4:16 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
I commented on that already. Recent times have given players pause in regards to their belief in the chain of command being the right approach to sensitive issues.
It's going to take a while for any NHL organization to overcome the perception created by other organizations.

Then they have the wrong chain of command. This would've never gone down like this in Tampa or Pittsburgh.
darthsummer liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 7:46 a.m.
Then they have the wrong chain of command. This would've never gone down like this in Tampa or Pittsburgh.

Not really, the NHL has a history of sweeping things under the rug at different levels of the chain of command, simply put, leaking things to the media is more likely to get you heard then putting it up an official chain of command
Sep. 19, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
torontos finest
Notes on the barstool podcast about Babcock, notably these two things here:

Most surprisingly, apparently several of these incidents happened at Babcock’s house. In at least one of the incidents reported to Whitney, a young player was invited for lunch, told to take out his phone, had Babcock flip through his photos and then told him to leave… without lunch. He sounds like a sociopath.

Some other stories about babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.” Serial killer behavior.
A_Habs_fan, CantStopWontStop, pinslack and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
cautious optimism
I am ready to put all this Babs BS behind us and i've got some... medium-range expectations for Pascal Vincent.

We're still probably not making the playoffs but we won't be bottom-feeders if everything goes right (re: staying healthy).
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.
Edited Sep. 19, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

Most surprisingly, apparently several of these incidents happened at Babcock’s house. In at least one of the incidents reported to Whitney, a young player was invited for lunch, told to take out his phone, had Babcock flip through his photos and then told him to leave… without lunch. He sounds like a sociopath.

Some other stories about babcock were shared. One older player who hasn’t quite cracked the NHL yet said that he was sitting on the bench in an empty arena taping his stick before the final preseason game in Anaheim. Babcock came and sat next to him, said something along the lines of “this is pretty amazing isn’t it?.” When the player he agreed, Babcock continued; “soak it in, it’s the last time you’ll ever be on an NHL bench.” Serial killer behavior.

I was coming with this too.

That dude is way off the rails.

I wonder if the Apple falls far from the tree. I hope it does.

We got nextgen-Babcock in stl….

I hope Doug Armstrong doesn’t consider bringing Mike in too. Fool me once, not gonna do it again.

But

He took an unhirable Jim Montgomery who was still going through assigned alcohol recovery programs. -This worked out great. But I don’t know that anybody else was offering a job.

And he took Chia after he was chased out of Edmonton. -this seems to have worked out? Chia’s stl contribution is not clear. No clue if he had other offers either.

Could stl take Mike Babcock in a year…with his son being here…

We did do Keenan. We’re that type of folk.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

Sounds like a pretty twisted motivational technique more than serial killer behavior, if it's even true.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://twitter.com/NathanGraviteh/status/1703906753136787607?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1703906753136787607%7Ctwgr%5Ee46cc8447a3e1aa34819ef2b1cee0f8c14a20466%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fembed.attrnum.com%2Fapi%2Fiframe%3Furl%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FNathanGraviteh2Fstatus2F17039067531367876073Fref_src3Dtwsrc255Etfw257Ctwcamp255Etweetembed257Ctwterm255E1703906753136787607257Ctwgr255E5df3be74ff583ae6e41a8757fb1e1e14f2c754cd257Ctwcon255Es1_26ref_url3Dhttps253A252F252Fwww.hockeypatrol.com252FBREAKING-Controversial-Former-GM-Peter-Chiarelli-Returns-to-the-NHL-277415key%3D04df9a13f774ca241e92fd230cc38287v%3D1app%3D1

If this is true wow could we be in for some fun
Sep. 19, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
mokumboi
The problem with people like you is that you either forgot how to debate or you never learned. As soon as you're challenged you get defensive and start lashing out, speaking in all caps, and name calling. Your opinions aren't facts and you need to start accepting other peoples' views, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. Hopefully, you'll do better in the future.

Nothing is gained from an echo chamber.

More deflection and projection. You're a one-man echo chamber, nothing gets in. You somehow know everything about the incident(s) without actually knowing anything more than anyone else here does. Oh the horror of those soft crybaby athletes and that evil media!!! How dare they!!!

But noooo, you're totally not defending him.

And I did not once call you any name. That's just pure fiction to sell a fake victim act to avoid every single, unavoidable factual point made. Meanwhile, each of your comments turns into personal commentary, if not starting as that out of the gate.

And capitalizing one word for emphasis is not "speaking in all caps". More deflection.

Babcock bullies employees. Plain and simple. He's done it at every stop. Facts. This is common knowledge. He tucked his tail and ran from this fit of mania because he did that **** again. Duh. You are entirely free to spin it like it's everybody else's fault and everyone else is being overly sensitive. We're all just as free to point out the delirious irony in all that.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
More deflection and projection. You're a one-man echo chamber, nothing gets in. You somehow know everything about the incident(s) without actually knowing anything more than anyone else here does. Oh the horror of those soft crybaby athletes and that evil media!!! How dare they!!!

But noooo, you're totally not defending him.

And I did not once call you any name. That's just pure fiction to sell a fake victim act to avoid every single, unavoidable factual point made. Meanwhile, each of your comments turns into personal commentary, if not starting as that out of the gate.

And capitalizing one word for emphasis is not "speaking in all caps". More deflection.

Babcock bullies employees. Plain and simple. He's done it at every stop. Facts. This is common knowledge. He tucked his tail and ran from this fit of mania because he did that **** again. Duh. You are entirely free to spin it like it's everybody else's fault and everyone else is being overly sensitive. We're all just as free to point out the delirious irony in all that.

"Babcock is an old school coach. He was brought in to instill discipline and accountability as much as on the ice as off. Or, at least he thought he was. Who exactly did they think they were hiring when he was given the job in the first place? Unreal. A simple statement of support from the front office early on and this is a non-issue. Instead, they allowed the media to obsess over it at a time when there's nothing else to talk about."

Nothing about that statement is factually inaccurate. It's just an opinion. Facts and opinions are not the same thing.

And for the record, you called me, "Napoleon" and referred to my opinions as, "manufactured, disingenuous, and manipulative." End of story. Move on.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
WentWughes
Aaron Itovitch

"Source is telling me that Dan Vladar will be traded to the Colorado Avalanche"
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Aaron Itovitch

Makes sense considering Wolf but the price points just where im like huh

Should honestly either wait to see who goes on waivers or if they get get Desmith with ret.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Aaron Itovitch

Quoting: aadoyle
Makes sense considering Wolf but the price points just where im like huh

Should honestly either wait to see who goes on waivers or if they get get Desmith with ret.

Better have some cap retention; unless Francouz is out for the season. And we don't give up much
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
WentWughes
Tanner Pearson has been traded to MTL???
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
Tanner Pearson has been traded to MTL???

Weird fit. Montreal already has a lot of bottom 6 wingers making decent money. Hoping the Canucks didn’t pay too much to dump him
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:43 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mv21227
Weird fit. Montreal already has a lot of bottom 6 wingers making decent money. Hoping the Canucks didn’t pay too much to dump him

Will he even play? Isn't he a career LTIR'r?
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
Will he even play? Isn't he a career LTIR'r?

He was activated off LTIR yesterday. Sounds like Desmith is the return
Sep. 19, 2023 at 5:51 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mv21227
He was activated off LTIR yesterday. Sounds like Desmith is the return

He was activated to make the trade I'm assuming.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
WentWughes
Kent Hughes and Montreal have been involved in 3 of the last 4 trades. He's the only one who hasn't been sleeping this offseason!
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
At this point Van has little excuse to not make the playoffs

On paper they fixed the majority of their issues upgrades most of the team now lets see

As for the sake of Pete they need to make noise
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
At this point Van has little excuse to not make the playoffs

Not sure how exchanging Pearson for Desmith puts them over the top
KSIxSKULLS, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll