SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:26 p.m.
More Finns More Wins
I think the funniest possibility was that Pinto was betting on the length, date, or amount of his own contract.

It has to have been NHL-related though, even if it wasn't specifically on games. Otherwise, half a season for something that isn't in the CBA (the CBA's only mention of "Gambling" prohibits betting on NHL games but it isn't mentioned otherwise) and that he's accepting without appeal would be ridiculous.
zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
Quoting: HelmutCool
There is something weird going on with this one. Not betting on nhl games but admits to wrongdoing?
Did he give out info on injuries and related matters or wtf?

It seems to be the popular theory but reports are the investigation came as a result of his betting account getting flagged. I don't think him giving inside info to anyone would cause his own account to get flagged.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
I think the funniest possibility was that Pinto was betting on the length, date, or amount of his own contract.

It has to have been NHL-related though, even if it wasn't specifically on games. Otherwise, half a season for something that isn't in the CBA (the CBA's only mention of "Gambling" prohibits betting on NHL games but it isn't mentioned otherwise) and that he's accepting without appeal would be ridiculous.

Quoting: Turbo
It seems to be the popular theory but reports are the investigation came as a result of his betting account getting flagged. I don't think him giving inside info to anyone would cause his own account to get flagged.

Illegal hits are often a regrettable split-second decision that players often immediately regret.

Gambling by a player is a willful, premeditated, and deceitful act that means to undermine the integrity of the sport.

The last instance of NHL gambling resulted in lifetime bans for the offenders. He's lucky he got off with only 41 games.

From the initial reports I read, it doesn't sound like actually gambled himself, but that there were "irregularities surrounding his activities." I suspect he provided insider information to someone in order to help influence their bet, or something similar. NHL players are allowed to gamble on non-NHL games.

This was a post in the forum somewhere else. really well put.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 8:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Brannstrom just took a hit by Clutterbuck, was instantly knocked out upon impact and started seizing on the ice, holy **** man
Oct. 26, 2023 at 9:23 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Brannstrom just took a hit by Clutterbuck, was instantly knocked out upon impact and started seizing on the ice, holy **** man

Yikes, with the way his back hit the ice and how he slid after, wouldn't surprise me if he got knocked out on contact, scary play
KSIxSKULLS and mv21227 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 9:31 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Same thing happened to Podkolzin yesterday as well, super scary. Hopefully he’s okay
Oct. 26, 2023 at 10:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Only 1 team left undefeated
Oct. 26, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
What in tarnation
Executing plays still keeps being a problem for Dallas. How disappointing.

It wasn't a bad game from Dallas...but not good enough either. Second period was pretty good though.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
Jfresh :

something to keep an eye on - Connor Brown has 0 points in 6 games for the Oilers. they've been outscored 3-0 with him on the ice at 5v5 and now he's on the third line.

his cap hit is $775k, but if he plays 10 games he has a $3.25M performance bonus that's on the cap next year
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:14 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: pinslack
Jfresh :

something to keep an eye on - Connor Brown has 0 points in 6 games for the Oilers. they've been outscored 3-0 with him on the ice at 5v5 and now he's on the third line.

his cap hit is $775k, but if he plays 10 games he has a $3.25M performance bonus that's on the cap next year

The Player's Association would throw a fit if it happened after game 9 because of the optics alone. If it doesn't happen after tonight's projected loss to the Rangers or after the Heritage Classic, I can't see the Oilers waiving Brown. Holland doesn't make proactive moves when it comes to salary. I doubt he's even cognitively aware of Brown's bonus...
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
The Player's Association would throw a fit if it happened after game 9 because of the optics alone. If it doesn't happen after tonight's projected loss to the Rangers or after the Heritage Classic, I can't see the Oilers waiving Brown. Holland doesn't make proactive moves when it comes to salary. I doubt he's even cognitively aware of Brown's bonus...

People waiting for Space X to Launch

We all should pitch in to send Holland up with it

They should not trust him to fix this

Woodcraft is also getting in that uh oh territory to.

Cause honestly Holland could go panic mode and make a really bad trade to try and fix things and EDM fans dont want that
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: pinslack
Jfresh :

Lets be real if they did that NHL and NHLPA would go nuts and would probs investigate for cap circumvention

As the main reason Brown signed so cheap was that bonus.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:33 p.m.
Hard to believe just how bad EDM is without Connor. Or maybe his absence just proves how valuable he is to turn a bottom tier team into a solid playoff team. Without him, they're with the Flames in the basement.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Brian2016
Hard to believe just how bad EDM is without Connor. Or maybe his absence just proves how valuable he is to turn a bottom tier team into a solid playoff team. Without him, they're with the Flames in the basement.

In general there is something very wrong. Even with Connor they didnt look great

Ekholm looks like he aged 10 years and they needed him for Bouchard whose not being exposed

Their Dcore is a mess along with goaltending

And they are having scoring issues.

Still early but Holland and Woodcroft's days could be numbered.
zk97 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:42 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
In general there is something very wrong. Even with Connor they didnt look great

Ekholm looks like he aged 10 years and they needed him for Bouchard whose not being exposed

Their Dcore is a mess along with goaltending

And they are having scoring issues.

Still early but Holland and Woodcroft's days could be numbered.

With expectations that high, there won't be a lot of patience. I think they'll wait and see if McDavid can get the team on track when he comes back. Maybe give. them til late Nov.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
With expectations that high, there won't be a lot of patience. I think they'll wait and see if McDavid can get the team on track when he comes back. Maybe give. them til late Nov.

Maybe

But yea we could see a firing on par with Van if things dont shape up down there
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:51 p.m.
Blake Wheeler just picked up his first point, an Assist, with the Rangers. It took 7 games. Then the goal was overturned. Oh well.

I love how WPG loses 2 of their top 6 forwards, and doesn't really replace them, and actually gets better!
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:58 p.m.
Bedard23
Blake Wheeler just picked up his first point, an Assist, with the Rangers. It took 7 games. Then the goal was overturned. Oh well.

I love how WPG loses 2 of their top 6 forwards, and doesn't really replace them, and actually gets better!

This league makes no ****ing sense so far, well apart from Chicago being ****, which anyone with a quarter of a brain saw coming
Oct. 26, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Its funny how both Alberta teams are struggling but the reasons are fundamentally different even though there are some similarities as well

That said not good for either side
Oct. 27, 2023 at 12:02 a.m.
mokumboi
Gotta say, all seven Blues Dmen were excellent tonight. As was Hofer. Considering the fact that we've gotten precious little production from Thomas/Kyrou/Schenn/Buch thus far, I'll tale 3-2-1. The goalies, the defensemen and the grinders are carrying us right now.
Oct. 27, 2023 at 12:43 a.m.
Lets be real if they did that NHL and NHLPA would go nuts and would probs investigate for cap circumvention

That might fly if he was providing value for his contract and was the only reason he was demoted. But that clearly isn't the case. Nothing they can do anymore than other people that find themselves in the minors with big contracts. Will it win any friends and influence players and agents, no, definitely not, but it won't be like if they demoted a core player just to play cap games.
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 27, 2023 at 12:43 a.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
This league makes no ****ing sense so far, well apart from Chicago being ****, which anyone with a quarter of a brain saw coming

It does seem like there's been an inordinate number of surprises so far this season. The fact that CHI has been predictably bad and still has a higher Points % than EDM is probably the biggest, imo.
Oct. 27, 2023 at 1:31 a.m.
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
That might fly if he was providing value for his contract and was the only reason he was demoted. But that clearly isn't the case. Nothing they can do anymore than other people that find themselves in the minors with big contracts. Will it win any friends and influence players and agents, no, definitely not, but it won't be like if they demoted a core player just to play cap games.

If they demoted him to make a big signing for someone like... Patrick Kane; I'm sure nobody would have anything to say about it.
Oct. 27, 2023 at 1:32 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
If they demoted him to make a big signing for someone like... Patrick Kane; I'm sure nobody would have anything to say about it.

The issue is they dont look good rn and Kane wants to win

They got McDavid but him going wont change much as defense and goaltending still gonna be an issue.

Got a feeling Kane either goes to AVS, VGK, NYR, DAL, TOR or if hes home sick BUF

As for Brown I got a feeling something would happen if they attempted to waive as he signed that small deal with that big bonus for a reason. Could have got more open market but he took less to go to EDM.
HockeyScotty liked this.
Oct. 27, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
Seems like maybe the panic button gets pressed earlier than later in Calgary, which seems like it could be a good idea given that they have probably the most valuable piece on the market if they do (28 y/o Elias Lindholm).

I don’t know that they need a rebuild, or what, but seems they can avoid that with a killer return from a big trade. They should take somebody to the cleaners this winter if trends persist.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll