SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed William Nylander (8 Years / $11,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 8 at 12:22 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: Jdb9831
In a vacuum, this is a good deal just based on what Nylander brings to the table. He is worth the money and should continue to be through most of the contract. The last few years won't be as bad with the higher cap as well.

The problem is the structure of this team. I just don't think you can give 4 players 50% of the money and ice a complete roster. I have the feeling the Delta between JT+Marner now compared to JT+Marner with their upcoming extensions won't be much, if anything. JT will see his pay come down, I honestly don't know what a 'fair' number will look like, and Marner will go up. Probably something around 13-14 million/year. So even if JT takes 6-8 million on the next deal, the core four will still cost around 50% of the cap.

This is really what it boils down to. Big Willie has absolutely earned his payday but between him, JT, Stachews, and Mitch the rest of the roster is gonna be looking at Toronto's available cap like Will Smith looking around at the house at the end of Fresh Prince.
vanktank and KrakenTheCode liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:22 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
69M in signing bonuses makes this contract worth it.
CMac66 liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:24 p.m.
tbh I'm kind of surprised with how manageable the Leafs cap situation is with this signing. It basically just wipes out the expected cap jump plus a little extra and with the number of sizeable contracts expiring this year, there's some flexibility. Worst case scenario they just tread water next season and make a decision on Tavares based on what Marner is willing to take. Though I don't trust Treliving to find cheap, good value depth after essentially punting Lafferty for Reaves
Aspiring EBUG
Quoting: Ritzy
69M in signing bonuses makes this contract worth it.

Nice
Ritzy and TheWolfe liked this.
I don't hate the cap hit or term for this player, but the Leafs couldn't afford to do this. They had trouble with the cap when he was making less than 7, Matthews is going to start making more money next year, Tavares' deal doesn't end for a few more years, Marner's deal is still 8 digits. Toronto couldn't afford to do this, yet they did it anyway... I think this severely damages the team for the foreseeable future. The cap isn't going up by enough to offset the pay raises.
athrin liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:26 p.m.
No regretzkys
As a Leafs fan this deal is:
1) A modest overpay with unfavourable NMC's throughout
2) Fantastic that we retained another elite core player

Both can be true
NorthernLeafsFan05, Saskleaf, HockeyScotty and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:27 p.m.
You know nothing JS
I would have no poblem whith this contract if TML traded away Marner for a defenseman before his NMC clause kicked in.

More jerseys sold. Less banners up.
Jan. 8 at 12:29 p.m.
some cheap seafood
Is Willie worth this kind of money? Yes absolutely.

Should the Leafs have signed him to this deal? Maybe? Next year will be tough for sure, having 4 players make over 10+. When the Tavares contract is up though, maybe it won't be so bad.
Jan. 8 at 12:31 p.m.
A bit more than I’d pay (11m was most by an extra 500k in any a big deal) but good for Willy getting paid
Jan. 8 at 12:34 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Nylander is elite plain and simple and played his way to this contract. I wish there a neutral option for the contract. It's not a good signing in terms of value etc, not bad, but necessary.
What I'm curious is what he plays like next year. Is he a contract show pony? Or a yearly thoroughbred... Find out next time on the Keeping Up with the Maple Leafs
Jan. 8 at 12:44 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Marner is going to get $14m, isn't he?

Oh for sure... the core in Toronto care more about making money than winning cups
Jan. 8 at 12:45 p.m.
MStonerForPresident
Edited Jan. 8 at 12:51 p.m.
Leafs with 3 players 10M+ NMC contracts
Also Leafs management: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Foriginal%2F000%2F044%2F163%2Figotonemoreinme.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=2d5a93eede08f1d8d091d8f15c754097c1924cb71812c68ca73b433c5994dfbe&ipo=images
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 8 at 12:58 p.m.
Kansler
The structuring of this deal is going to be a headache is he falls of a cliff....
Front heavy, full NMC, 69M in signing bonuses, so basically buy-out-proof.
Sure hope for Torontos sake he keeps himself motivated.
Jan. 8 at 1:05 p.m.
Driedger Clan
Great for Nylander but man TOR is gonna be screwed for a long time with cap. I agree Nylander is worth a big contract but maybe in a different market. Sure he's making 11.5m but with how bad taxes are in Toronto it'll be more like 9 mil which is less than M. Tkachuk with the FLA no tax state. TOR needs to trade 1 of the big 4 for an Elite D man and/or a solid goalie. Lots of big guns up front but not really on the back end. Reilly is good but he's not elite.
Tonir87 liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:05 p.m.
After paying Tavares, Marner and Matthews 11M+, why Willy should take less? Now they have 4 forwards taking 53% of salary cap. U add Reilly to it and they have only 33.5M to use for rest of the team (in next season). If Toronto want add goalie, most of solid starters take 5M. So about 28M to use for rest of the team. Interesting to see how they solve it and who will be traded. Willy earned the moneys, but Toronto lost widness for doing this signing.

Willy won
Toronto Lose (if they cant trade Tavares or Marner and get good return from it)
Jan. 8 at 1:10 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Tonir87
After paying Tavares, Marner and Matthews 11M+, why Willy should take less? Now they have 4 forwards taking 53% of salary cap. U add Reilly to it and they have only 33.5M to use for rest of the team (in next season). If Toronto want add goalie, most of solid starters take 5M. So about 28M to use for rest of the team. Interesting to see how they solve it and who will be traded. Willy earned the moneys, but Toronto lost widness for doing this signing.

Willy won
Toronto Lose (if they cant trade Tavares or Marner and get good return from it)

Toronto doesn't need another goalie, Woll and Hildeby are most likely the future
Tonir87 liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:11 p.m.
Treliving is destroying the franchise
SlavaDark liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:11 p.m.
For a team that "everybody wants to play for" they sure seem like they have to pay people a lot of money to play for them.
SlavaDark liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:12 p.m.
Nylander was most resultative player in last couple playoffs, compare to other 3. But this season will be his career year. Next season media and fans will bring so much negativity towards him, when his production comes to earth. And everybody saying Tavares will give huge discount. After this, why only he must give discount? Marner will cash to max. JT agent want % too. I feel bad for this team goalies and defenders. After inevitable fail, most of blame will be placed on their shoulders.
Jan. 8 at 1:12 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Bad deal

Nylander's an 8-9 million dollar player

He plays against 2nd line competition, and he doesn't go full throttle all the time

If he hits a scoring slump, he doesn't offer positive value bc his defence sucks...

I hope TO gets a cup but it becomes harder
SlavaDark liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:14 p.m.
Voted yes. Not because it's a good contract but because all the stupid trade proposals will stop.
TheLand, Saskleaf and Rangsey liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:14 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aktobos71
Nylander was most resultative player in last couple playoffs, compare to other 3. But this season will be his career year. Next season media and fans will bring so much negativity towards him, when his production comes to earth. And everybody saying Tavares will give huge discount. After this, why only he must give discount? Marner will cash to max. JT agent want % too. I feel bad for this team goalies and defenders. After inevitable fail, most of blame will be placed on their shoulders.

Nylander's had 1 playoff series over a PPG, He's the worst out of the core 4... Look at the stats and the game footage
Jan. 8 at 1:18 p.m.
Bedard23
Not calling Nylander a scrub but this is about 2.5M too much
Leafsfan98, Saskleaf and exo2769 liked this.
Jan. 8 at 1:19 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Nylander's had 1 playoff series over a PPG, He's the worst out of the core 4... Look at the stats and the game footage

Maybe my choice of words was wrong, he was most most "showing up when matters" of 4. And if only Brad used this argument, maybe cap hit changed to 11.4.
Jan. 8 at 1:21 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Over-Under on Willy ACGM forum trades today is...8.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit