SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #4: Deadline is Approaching

Mar. 8 at 4:09 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Vanecek is going to San Jose for Kahkonen. Fitzy has done a terrible job this TDL, my lord
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:10 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Vanecek is going to San Jose for Kahkonen. Fitzy has done a terrible job this TDL, my lord

I like it, Kahkonen's arguably better and NJ clear 3.4 of cap space for next year
yikes liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Vitek V for Kahkonen

If I don’t see a 3rd+spec or 2nd I’m imploding
Mar. 8 at 4:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I like it, Kahkonen's arguably better and NJ clear 3.4 of cap space for next year

Allen and Kaapo could actually get the Devils playoff push in order - mark my words
Mar. 8 at 4:19 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
I've seen fans trip about it but I'm gonna say it.

San Jose did really well in Hertl deal. Say what you want but I think Grier's done a nice job there. There is few teams I geniuinly think a tear down is neccesary and San Jose is one of them. They had no prospects and long expensive contracts on guys pushing 30 when Grier got there. He's slowly but surely rebuilding a base there, it's gonna take a while but considering all those contracts player were overpaid he's done fairly well imo.

He's came away with Edstrom, 1st, and likely a pick around 12th overall for guys who had no value to them anymore. They had no future of possibly competing with those guys on the roster. Also clearing about 17m in long term cap space.
Mar. 8 at 4:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
VGK are the favs for the cup right?

Like holy ****
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:31 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
He’s overrated in the sense that he is not an elite, premium winger. He’s Jaden Schwartz minus one ankle surgery.

He’s the most consistent winger Sidney Crosby ever had. Why didn’t other people do it? There’s a ton of reasons: contract timing, availability and salary cap, age, somebody else is already doing it so there wasn’t a long term opportunity. And that’s the same reason it ended. Because you can’t both get younger and give Jake guentzel a ton of term to be acceptable. If he were elite and premium, this isn’t even a conversation, he’s already extended like Crosby or Malkin, two elite players.

He deserves the near 70 million in career earnings he’ll earn. He’ll be fine. He’s celebrated. He earned every bit of it. He’s not going anywhere near the hall of fame, not even the hall of really good. Some penguin fans had his trade value as if he were prime Peter forsberg, or what you’d expect in a Mitch Marner deal.

Ok se he is not a franchise player is your criticism? That can be said about 99% of the players! If you are in the top 5-10 in the league at your position you are an elite player. It does not really matter if you end up in the HOF because that is supposed to be reserved for the franchise changing special players. It takes a high skill level to play with the all time great players. Jake had a higher skill level than all of the other wingers Sid had, which was my point. If he plays with a guy like Aho or even Kuzy, he will going to look really good. He is going to show people that he is an elite winger on his own. He is not Patrick Kane level but again that is not some slight. He certainly is not "mid". That is a literal 3rd liner.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 8 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
VGK are the favs for the cup right?

Like holy ****

Yeah if I had to guess we might see a rematch of last season, anything can happen though.
Mar. 8 at 4:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Canesfan21_
Yeah if I had to guess we might see a rematch of last season, anything can happen though.

Nah I feel in the east another team is going to the SCF. I think another Cinderella run's coming
Mar. 8 at 4:58 p.m.
Nah I feel in the east another team is going to the SCF. I think another Cinderella run's coming

I hope not after last year
Mar. 8 at 6:19 p.m.
Can Hertl play wing?
Mar. 8 at 6:22 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
The market this year just seemed so simple.
Mar. 8 at 6:24 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: capsfan2121
The market this year just seemed so simple.

Shame Dallas didn’t capitalized on it. Ah well, it’s the same formula as every other year.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:27 p.m.
Florida is the team to beat in the East. . The Western conference is stacked , wouldn’t be surprised if COL, DAL, EDM, or VGK makes it to the SCF
EsoYeezus69, Steven_Stamkos, CantStopWontStop and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:30 p.m.

His mistake was spending too much time on the dumpster fire situation in Calgary.

Devils were youngest team in decade to win playoff round last year. Would be youngest team in playoffs if we make this year. Amazing how people see our window as closed.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Shame Dallas didn’t capitalized on it. Ah well, it’s the same formula as every other year.

Dallas had so many forwards and stacked lines the issue to me was mainly defense and PK

They addressed it by adding Tanev but could have went for one more guy but its not crazy
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 8 at 6:43 p.m.
Jinx god
Dallas had so many forwards and stacked lines the issue to me was mainly defense and PK

They addressed it by adding Tanev but could have went for one more guy but its not crazy

I think the biggest issue has to be the way the lineup is constructed.

Nill was right when he said they had internal options, it’s just that he’s hypocritical and plays barley AHL caliber players that cost us games (Hakanpaa and Suter, mainly Hakanpaa), over young players who can contribute (Lundkvist, and potentially Bichsel if they do call him up).

Facing a team such as Vegas with a Suter-Hakanpaa pairing will for sure result in an average of 5 GA each game.
Mar. 8 at 7:02 p.m.
Bedard23
Why were the jets going after every ex-kings player available?
Mar. 8 at 7:16 p.m.
Edited Mar. 8 at 7:48 p.m.
I really like Edmonton’s moves. I think they already check the blocks for cocaine hockey and toughness, they needed stability. They got stability. Their underbelly is not as soft. I feel the last thing the rest of the league needs is a balanced roster lead by McDavid.

I kinda like Nashville’s approach. Tidy business.

And Calgary getting nhlers (near nhlers) back for rentals 3 times in one deadline is kinda cool.

Carolina giving kuznetsov a try is cool.

Florida getting the best deal in tarasenko is a big boost. Right place at the right time.

Colorado treated this deadline like the offseason and snagged two fairly big pieces they’ll maybe keep for awhile.

I think Pittsburg did well, but I’ve beat that one to death and will stop. I think history will reflect very positively short, medium, and long term.

Biggest loser: my team the blues who didn’t have anything you all wanted frown o well. Can’t fail at making a trade prediction if there’s no trades to predict.

Runner up: Detroit. Same reason as blues except they should have bought imo. You aren’t gonna get Patrick Kane under 3 mil another year. He’s proven he’s worth double that at least or the fact that no matter how good, the years are passing for him. It was worth a stab at a rental I think while you have that power up. Not like the stockpile is low. Didn’t need to go extreme, but I’m surprised they couldn’t find anything worthwhile.
Mar. 8 at 8:30 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I really like Edmonton’s moves. I think they already check the blocks for cocaine hockey and toughness, they needed stability. They got stability. Their underbelly is not as soft. I feel the last thing the rest of the league needs is a balanced roster lead by McDavid.

I kinda like Nashville’s approach. Tidy business.

And Calgary getting nhlers (near nhlers) back for rentals 3 times in one deadline is kinda cool.

Carolina giving kuznetsov a try is cool.

Florida getting the best deal in tarasenko is a big boost. Right place at the right time.

Colorado treated this deadline like the offseason and snagged two fairly big pieces they’ll maybe keep for awhile.

I think Pittsburg did well, but I’ve beat that one to death and will stop. I think history will reflect very positively short, medium, and long term.

Biggest loser: my team the blues who didn’t have anything you all wanted frown o well. Can’t fail at making a trade prediction if there’s no trades to predict.

Runner up: Detroit. Same reason as blues except they should have bought imo. You aren’t gonna get Patrick Kane under 3 mil another year. He’s proven he’s worth double that at least or the fact that no matter how good, the years are passing for him. It was worth a stab at a rental I think while you have that power up. Not like the stockpile is low. Didn’t need to go extreme, but I’m surprised they couldn’t find anything worthwhile.

Cocaine hockey?
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 8 at 8:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So if VGK is the biggest winner this TDL whose the biggest Loser?

Im going OTT
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Mar. 8 at 8:51 p.m.
Edited Mar. 8 at 8:57 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Cocaine hockey?

Excessive and reckless offense that they can get away with because playoff McDavid, Draisaitl, and maybe Bouchard are insane.

I can’t remember who, but a broadcaster gave them that term a few years ago and it stuck with me. Maybe a spittin chiclets guy, idk. They are not shy with the puck. It backfires sometimes. It’s a pure high octane spectacle and risk.
ricochetii liked this.
Mar. 8 at 8:57 p.m.

Im going OTT

Has to be the Penguins. No coaching change, somewhat disappointing returns for the guys they were able to move, added a cap dump in Bunting, gave CBJ Nylander
Mar. 8 at 9:00 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Im going OTT

Islanders
Mar. 8 at 9:51 p.m.

Im going OTT

Canucks? Already a great team but TDL silence (not even a contract for Kessel)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll