SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Sandin - Burn it or not?

Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:40 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Missed the first, what happened to kappy tonight? Did it look bad?

I missed it as well. Got home just after it had already happened.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:45 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: oneX
I missed it as well. Got home just after it had already happened.

Damn it lol... me too. Hopefully it’s just a pull for the night and right back in next game. Need kappy in there.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:13 p.m.
Damn it lol... me too. Hopefully it’s just a pull for the night and right back in next game. Need kappy in there.

I watched the update on TSN and it sounds like an arm/shoulder thing, x-rays negative so far.
GenXHockey and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:17 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I watched the update on TSN and it sounds like an arm/shoulder thing, x-rays negative so far.

Yeah apparently he missed a check and hit the glass. Sounds like nothing major.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:19 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

To answer your first question of this thread. You burn it and the kid scores you the game winner!!!
oneX liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:22 p.m.
To answer your first question of this thread. You burn it and the kid scores you the game winner!!!

Hehe
It really looks like a genius move when he does that. I just hope it's all worth it.
GenXHockey and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2020 at 11:26 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Hehe
It really looks like a genius move when he does that. I just hope it's all worth it.

Whether the leafs make the playoffs or not when a player is ready and now due to injuries is the best option for the last spot you give him that shot. All day every day. The confidence shown by keefe and dubas went right into his game.
oneX, tomato43 and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 12:21 a.m.
tomato
With Rielly out for the majority of the rest of the season i wouldn't hesitate at all to burn Sandins first year of entry level. We need him to make the playoffs. In a world where our two best LHD didn't get injured at the same time for extended periods of time i would keep him down to have it slide again but we found ourselves in the opposite scenario.

I know it sounds stupid because i love Mo and wanted him to be named captain at the start of the season but if Dubas cant find a home-run deal for a RHD i would explore swapping Rielly for a equal value RHD in the off season and resigning Muzzin. Just check on whats out there and what is available. This could provide better balance between the left and right sides.

My dream scenarios are us trading for someone with term next year like a Petry or Savard etc, and then the following year signing the good Torana boy Dougie Hamilton to a Tavares type deal if his leg injury doesn't slow him down significantly.

Scenario 2 has us trading for a Soderstrom, Lundkvist type prospect. To hopefully shore up the right side and our defense as a whole for the next decade with Sandin Liljegren and 'Prospect' being so young.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 5:46 a.m.
Well, you know where i stand with the D for the last two years since i created account here. The situation is desparate and i think as much as Sandin appeares to be ready, i would hunt 2 x Defensive Ds and Backup Goalie in the TDL. Kivihalme, Schmaltz, Gravel, Marincin would be just enough to play those 7 sheltered minutes on 3rd Pair.

If Rielly is actually out, you go with :

1st......Muzzin - Defensive D acquired
2nd.....Dermott - Defensive D acquired
3rd......the kids i mentioned above
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.
torontos finest
Guess it's burnt now.

Welcome to the main roster, Sandin.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 2:52 p.m.
There's been alot of rumors/speculation and reports of the Leafs talking to various teams for D and goaltending help so this got me thinking.

I know the Leafs are burning a year on Sandin's ELC so this is question about how you would handle the rest of this season.
If there's a trade on the table for whatever D/goaltending help, would you still burn a year off Sandin's ELC?

Let's assume for for the sake of this scenario that the Leafs are offered a D with term and under a decent contract.

So would you?

@Trickster , @Laudan, @Jamiepo , @Jack_ , @swinny, @Sign_em_up000000, @blowing_the_zone , @Jangle29 , @Random2152, @palhal, @tomato43 , @OldNYIfan , @BCAPP I want to hear what you lot have to say.

I would make the deal for sure.

In burning the first year of the contract, the Leafs will have no option now but to expose Dermott in the expansion draft, as Sandin will quite lilely not be exempt..... (40/70 rule). I have a feeling that us why he didn't stick with the club in the first place, and not so much to do with development. A protect 3 of Reilly, Dermott and what is now Holl would have been 110% ideal. Always questions up front, but now Dermott on the back end adds to Dubas' expansion headache.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 2:58 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: swinny
I would make the deal for sure.

In burning the first year of the contract, the Leafs will have no option now but to expose Dermott in the expansion draft, as Sandin will quite lilely not be exempt..... (40/70 rule). I have a feeling that us why he didn't stick with the club in the first place, and not so much to do with development. A protect 3 of Reilly, Dermott and what is now Holl would have been 110% ideal. Always questions up front, but now Dermott on the back end adds to Dubas' expansion headache.

The 40/70 rule is for players who are not exempt. You have to leave players open with that experience. Sandin will be exempt.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 3:03 p.m.
The 40/70 rule is for players who are not exempt. You have to leave players open with that experience. Sandin will be exempt.

Burning the first year of the contract is 1 year NHL experience. Next year is 2. So that his 2 years in the NHL. And we have to think he plays 70 games over that time frame. Be some creative lineup juggling to get it to work.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 3:14 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Burning the first year of the contract is 1 year NHL experience. Next year is 2. So that his 2 years in the NHL. And we have to think he plays 70 games over that time frame. Be some creative lineup juggling to get it to work.

1st and 2nd year players are exempt. The 40/70 rule is for exposure. Leafs have to expose a Dman who plays 40 games next year or 70 over the this year and next. That is simple. Acquire a 2 year contract at the deadline. Someone cheap.
tomato43 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 3:42 p.m.
tomato

You're mixing up the requirements for exposure and the requirements for exemption. We have to expose some players who meet the 40/70 requirement, but that has nothing to do with who is exempt. Sandin and Liljegren and Mikheyev are all Exempt no matter how many games they player this year and next.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 5:01 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
No player can be as effective, that cheap than Sandin (I'm projecting) So guys like Sandin (on any team) are not going to be traded.

Leafs might find their starting goalie just before the expansion draft. Assuming Andersen isn't resigned, Leafs will be without an NHL possibility. But there will be some teams with !A, !B goalies and may want to trade for a good asset so they don't lose a good goalie for nothing.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jan. 28, 2020 at 5:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think back to a few years ago when some Leaf fans were so worried they were going to lose either Leivo or Leipisic to Vegas. Imagine the gut wrenching that some will endure if the Leafs actually loose a good NHLer to Seattle.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 1:38 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
I think back to a few years ago when some Leaf fans were so worried they were going to lose either Leivo or Leipisic to Vegas. Imagine the gut wrenching that some will endure if the Leafs actually loose a good NHLer to Seattle.

I'm actually not happy (still) about Leivo. I liked what he brought to the team and thought he could be a contributor.
If the Leafs had him right now I'm positive he would get regular minutes. Babcock really screwed that one up imo.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 2:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'm actually not happy (still) about Leivo. I liked what he brought to the team and thought he could be a contributor.
If the Leafs had him right now I'm positive he would get regular minutes. Babcock really screwed that one up imo.

Leafs lost Leipsic in the draft. If you remember Leivo was playing well last season in October and November when Nylander was still not signed. Leafs were on a pace for 120 points last season before Nylander returned. At the time, the Leafs might have just been better not to sign Nylander, and go with that roster including Leivo.
oneX liked this.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Leafs lost Leipsic in the draft. If you remember Leivo was playing well last season in October and November when Nylander was still not signed. Leafs were on a pace for 120 points last season before Nylander returned. At the time, the Leafs might have just been better not to sign Nylander, and go with that roster including Leivo.

Yep I remember. And yes Leivo was having quite a season. Actually I think he's done well in Vancouver too. Wonder if Dubas would bring him back as a UFA.
Feb. 1, 2020 at 5:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yep I remember. And yes Leivo was having quite a season. Actually I think he's done well in Vancouver too. Wonder if Dubas would bring him back as a UFA.

Gotta think Leivo will have better opportunities elsewhere as a UFA. Leafs right now are still pretty deep at wing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll