SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 Playoffs Discussion Thread

Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:29 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
@CoopsTroops @Rangsey @justaBoss Congrats! You deserved it!
justaBoss, CoopsTroops, Rangsey and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:30 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
I'll say it again: Leo Komarov is a good player.

But why would the Islanders play their best forward with a 4th liner/extra forward at the NHL level?

I'm not blaming Trotz for us not winning the cup. If it weren't for Trotz, I don't think we would have made it this far.

But I still don't understand playing Barzal with Komarov.
AndrewLadd and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:36 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
CoopsTroops Rangsey justaBoss Congrats! You deserved it!

Maybe I’m brain dead but what did they earn? I would say just being Loghtning fans but justaBoss is a Stars fan
Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:52 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Maybe I’m brain dead but what did they earn? I would say just being Loghtning fans but justaBoss is a Stars fan

I'm a Stars fan yes, but TB is probably my favorite in the East since my brother is a Tampa fan and I've sort of adopted them as my second team if Stars isn't in the playoffs.

That being said, I'm also a fan of an upset story so I wouldn't have minded Isles winning that series.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 4:33 a.m.
Crazy, but a lot of talk the last 5-6 years about why paying a goalie top dollar (generally $9M+) was a waste b/c guys like Binnington and Murray were winning Cups on ELC's. Well, now we have the league's top 2 goalies in Vas and Price in the SCF and both are among top 3 highest paid at their position. I guess there's more than one way to get it done. Personally, I've spoken out against just about every huge money, long term goalie contract in the last 5 years simply b/c of STL and PIT. I never had any issues with Vas, but Price has certainly proven his value this season. For the record, Bob's contract still sucks.
A_Habs_fan, SevenLeg and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I can’t stop thinking about the games outcome being different if Wahlstrom was in the lineup. I know you don’t wanna mess w the lineup after winning, but Zajac made a key play to giving up the shortie and Wahlstrom very well could’ve scored if he was in the lineup. He better play every game next year as long as he’s healthy
SevenLeg, EsoYeezus69, rangersandislesfan and 4 others liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 11:34 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK

Trotz be like: need Komarov at the next Barzal interview, can’t trust the kid.
EsoYeezus69, AndrewLadd, rangersandislesfan and 5 others liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: yikes

Komarov is signed for another year ... that would be good ...

IF THEY STOPPED PLAYING HIM WITH BARZAL lol
Jun. 26, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I can’t stop thinking about the games outcome being different if Wahlstrom was in the lineup. I know you don’t wanna mess w the lineup after winning, but Zajac made a key play to giving up the shortie and Wahlstrom very well could’ve scored if he was in the lineup. He better play every game next year as long as he’s healthy

Yeah, the “what if” factor kills me lol. I can accept losing if that’s the best we had to offer. Wahlstrom scored goals at a higher rate than 97% of NHL forwards. He was above average defensively. It’s really inexcusable that he didn’t play in this series.

Komarov had 0 shots on goal in games 5,6,7. Zajac had 2. Wahlstrom had 6 shots on goal in his last 2 games against Pittsburgh in round 1 - and he left early in the 3rd period after matheson injured him.

MitchMarner_16 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I'll say it again: Leo Komarov is a good player.

But why would the Islanders play their best forward with a 4th liner/extra forward at the NHL level?

I'm not blaming Trotz for us not winning the cup. If it weren't for Trotz, I don't think we would have made it this far.

But I still don't understand playing Barzal with Komarov.

It’s fair to say Trotz is both the reason why they were in this series and the reason why they didn’t advance.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:02 p.m.
Danault vs Point.
Gourde line vs Caufield
And I get to rediscover my hatred for Perry again.
Should be a fun series.
BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan, SevenLeg and 4 others liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:03 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: Rangsey
Danault vs Point.
Gourde line vs Caufield
Should be a fun series.

Price vs Vasy
CoopsTroops, Rangsey, MitchMarner_16 and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:05 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Danault vs Point.
Gourde line vs Caufield
Should be a fun series.

And McDonagh + Sergachev against the team that traded them as prospects
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:11 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Danault vs Point.
Gourde line vs Caufield
Should be a fun series.

So the lines will be:
Palat - Point - Kucherov
Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos
Goodrow - Gourde - Coleman
Colton - Johnson - Maroon

Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Anderson
Armia - Staal - Perry

Montréal would want Danault vs. Point, and the other 3 lines don’t matter. Tampa Bay probably wants Gourde vs. Suzuki and Johnson vs. Danault.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:36 p.m.
Rutta 4ever

MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
And McDonagh + Sergachev against the team that traded them as prospects

Bit harsh calling Drouin a prospect.

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
So the lines will be:
Palat - Point - Kucherov

Armia - Staal - Perry

Montréal would want Danault vs. Point, and the other 3 lines don’t matter. Tampa Bay probably wants Gourde vs. Suzuki and Johnson vs. Danault.

I'd think the Suzuki Caufield is the only matchup Tampa chases. They'll try to keep Point and Kuch away from Danault as often as they can but they won't actively try and deploy the 4th line whenever Danault is over the boards.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:40 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
So the lines will be:
Palat - Point - Kucherov

Armia - Staal - Perry

Palat - Point - Kucherov VS Lehkonen - Danault - Gallagher = Tie but edge to Tampa cause MTL needs their line out to negate Tampas offence. Tampa will look to get their guys on at any chance these guys are off.

Killorn - Cirelli - Stamkos VS Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield = MTL, I think this line just always seems to find a way to create. All 3 guys have been superb. But Cirelli and Killorn are good enough to be up for the task. We even could see the Gourde line take the matchup solely for defensive and physical work against them.

Goodrow - Gourde - Coleman VS Byron - Kotkaniemi - Anderson = Tie but edge to MTL, KK has been been great and Anderson has been turning it up lately. Byron's been real solid too. But once again, this line for Tampa has stepped up when they've needed too, they're quite good. Tampa either uses this line to negate the Caufield line or they hope this line wins this matchup and creates a gap MTL need's to fill.

Colton - Johnson - Maroon VS Armia - Staal - Perry = MTL, NYI thought they had the best "4th Line" in hockey but thats wrong imo, these guys have been the best 4th line in hockey this playoffs. These guys have allowed MTL to create a steady flow to their game because more often than not MTL's 4th line starts demanding a better matchup because they've been steam rolling other 4th lines.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:48 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Bit harsh calling Drouin a prospect.

Where’d i call Drouin a prospect? I called McDonagh and Sergachev prospects
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: CoopsTroops

Lmao if the media had any balls they would ask Trotz why he didn’t make adjustments. Instead they treat him like he’s Scotty bowman.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Quoting: Isles777
Lmao if the media had any balls they would ask Trotz why he didn’t make adjustments. Instead they treat him like he’s Scotty bowman.

I feel bad for Barzal. He was practically told to turn a lemon into a Ferrari for 7 games. Same thing happened in our Florida series where Quennville had Marchment with Barkov. I know Q and Trotz are experienced winners, but you have to surround your best players with talent to support them.
Isles777, Devil, Rangsey and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:03 p.m.
Isles7
Quoting: CoopsTroops
I feel bad for Barzal. He was practically told to turn a lemon into a Ferrari for 7 games. Same thing happened in our Florida series where Quennville had Marchment with Barkov. I know Q and Trotz are experienced winners, but you have to surround your best players with talent to support them.

Yeah the frustrating part is Barzal created more than any player in this series. (Kucherov and point were right behind him). So to not have a lw that can capitalize on his skillset sucks. Beauvillier, palmieri, Wahlstrom...I mean it’s not like the isles didn’t have options lol
Jun. 26, 2021 at 2:43 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I'd think the Suzuki Caufield is the only matchup Tampa chases. They'll try to keep Point and Kuch away from Danault as often as they can but they won't actively try and deploy the 4th line whenever Danault is over the boards.

Yeah of course Tampa Bay isn’t going to be putting Johnson’s line out all the time just for a matchup, but the habs will try to chase the Point line with Danault even when they don’t have last change. The Danault line is pretty much all defense though now, since Gallagher’s shot is terrible after his thumb injury.

I’m really interested in how Montréal’s PK and Tampa Bay’s PP match up. Montréal is 1st in PK% in a playoffs (14+ games) and Tampa Bay is 0.1% behind the 1981 Islanders for the highest PP% in a playoffs (14+ games).

Obviously Tampa Bay has 2 of the best one-timers in the NHL on either side in Stamkos and Kucherov, but Point is extremely dangerous in the middle as well. Montréal’s PK forwards are very agressive, especially Joel Armia, who is fast and hard on his stick and is a short-handed threat. The D do a good job down low, while not screening Price, since screened shots are his weakness.

Under Richardson, the habs have gone with Danault - Lehkonen to start, then Byron - Armia, then Suzuki - Toffoli. Although if there’s a face off, Danault is always out there. On D he goes Chiarot - Weber then Merrill - Edmundson. Although it hasn’t been uncommon for Chiarot - Weber to play the entire 2 minutes over the past few games. (It would normally be Petry over Merrill, but Petry isn’t as good as Merrill defensively right now because he’s injured)
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Canes fan

They better get rid of Komarov this offseason. He is literally just a pylon and a roster spot filler. You gotta feel bad for guys like Barzal who really put in the work.
A_Habs_fan and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
Jinx god

I’ve had my fair share of experience with benders on my line, it cost us many tournaments and it was really not pleasant. I felt what Barzal was feeling, it almost made me tear up. When you play your heart out you should be rewarded not punished. Feel bad for him, he’s a great player and he should get rewarded for everything that he’s done for this team.
Isles777 liked this.
Jun. 26, 2021 at 3:27 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Where’d i call Drouin a prospect? I called McDonagh and Sergachev prospects

Lol. My bad. Misread.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll