SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/22 NHL Season Discussion thread

Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
That comment is wrong on so many levels, if the league commits medical malpractice it should be called out, no matter who says it, as fans, we SHOULD want the league to be a nice and clean one on all levels, from the Commissioner to the assistant coaches and equipment guys. Lehner is setting a great example here about standing up for the right reasons instead of not doing anything about a bad situation.

Quoting: yikes
I’m gonna keep it civil and I do get what you’re sayin; but the job of the NHLpa Isn’t to satisfy fans or the NHL. Their job is to protect the players. Not as athletes or investments but as individuals that work for the NHL. Lehner calling out issues that have proof and sources is a bother to the NHL. But is it wrong to be a bother? Just cause what Lehner says may be annoying or “tainting our precious league that we all value as fans” isn’t a bad thing. Sure you may dislike it but to have a voice standing up for players Health (mental and physical) is firstly; More important than staying quiet
And secondly quite literally what you’d want from the NHLPA
NHLPA is not supposed to be our friends as fans, and Lehner doesn’t need to be a friend to anyone. What he says isn’t pipe dreams. If they were I’d understand you more; but what he’s saying seemingly has legitimate facts/ sources.
I respect your opinion but I can also say that you’re just wrong. There is merit to what Lehner is saying and he’s not the first guy, and he’s definitely not gonna be the last. Lehner has views that I don’t agree and some that I do. Regardless; these recent “stories” aren’t supposed to be fun to read or be good for the game. He’s trying to make the game better by showing the flaws and hoping to improve on them.

Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
So you’re saying that it’s a good thing that the NHL fined the Rangers?

It isn’t a bad thing for people like the Rangers, Tortorella, and Lehner to put forth valid criticisms of egregious problems that need to be fixed. If no one can ever question the system, then it’s never going to change for the better.

And if the thing that you won’t forgive has anything to do with his political leaning, everything he’s spoken out about has certainly proven he doesn’t support/follow the harmful ideas others of the same leaning often stand for.

Wow, looks like I started a war single-handedly. Feel like Rhett Butler standing in a room full of Confederates telling them the Yankees are better equipped to win the war and then having them all tear him to shreds (if you got that reference, you're a legend).
1) Now, to be clear: My point (as to what @A_Habs_fan alluded to) is not that speaking out about medical malpractice that doesn't involve the speaker personally is wrong. My point is that Lehner should chime in only if the actual player involved in the incident (in this case, Patrick) supports him. Perhaps he does, but I haven't seen any indication of that yet. If Patrick does feel a grievance towards the Flyers for this, then Lehner is right, and I'm wrong. Either way however, he should not have mentioned Vigneault by name.
2) As to what @yikes said about not objecting to the league being "tainted"-I don't object to it at all. I do object to Lehner calling out coaches by name. He shouldn't be doing that, regardless of his stance on the Flyers alleged medical malpractice.
3) Lastly, @Kotkaniemi15, I was astounded that Wilson was let off the hook for bashing Buchnevich's cranium into the ice and rag-dolling Panarin afterwards, but the Rangers shouldn't have called out the head of the player safety department by name. A better way of saying it would be "We are severely disappointed with the league's decision" or some other vague, non-specific announcement, but you can't call out the guy in charge of the department by name, criticize him as not actually caring for the safety of players, and expect to NOT be fined (and again, I was on the Rangers' side all the way through). If Lehner had just called out the Flyers alone, that would be one thing, but don't bash Alain Vigneault on Twitter when you're a player. It comes off as very showy and obnoxious.
In short, I agree that Lehner raising awareness about mental health is good, that if he is supported by Patrick in this that his comments are just and that he has the right to say what he wants; I also agree that the league should be clean regardless of who raises the issue. I especially agree with the statement of Kotkaniemi15 "If no one can ever question the system, then it’s never going to change for the better." I don't agree that he would make a good NHLPA rep if he's calling out people by name, nor do I agree that he should be saying this IF Nolan Patrick is not (but again, if Patrick supports his coming forward with this, then I'm simply wrong).
yikes, Kotkaniemi15, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:38 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: ConservativeLightningFan91
Wow, looks like I started a war single-handedly. Feel like Rhett Butler standing in a room full of Confederates telling them the Yankees are better equipped to win the war and then having them all tear him to shreds (if you got that reference, you're a legend).
1) Now, to be clear: My point (as to what A_Habs_fan alluded to) is not that speaking out about medical malpractice that doesn't involve the speaker personally is wrong. My point is that Lehner should chime in only if the actual player involved in the incident (in this case, Patrick) supports him. Perhaps he does, but I haven't seen any indication of that yet. If Patrick does feel a grievance towards the Flyers for this, then Lehner is right, and I'm wrong. Either way however, he should not have mentioned Vigneault by name.
2) As to what yikes said about not objecting to the league being "tainted"-I don't object to it at all. I do object to Lehner calling out coaches by name. He shouldn't be doing that, regardless of his stance on the Flyers alleged medical malpractice.
3) Lastly, Kotkaniemi15, I was astounded that Wilson was let off the hook for bashing Buchnevich's cranium into the ice and rag-dolling Panarin afterwards, but the Rangers shouldn't have called out the head of the player safety department by name. A better way of saying it would be "We are severely disappointed with the league's decision" or some other vague, non-specific announcement, but you can't call out the guy in charge of the department by name, criticize him as not actually caring for the safety of players, and expect to NOT be fined (and again, I was on the Rangers' side all the way through). If Lehner had just called out the Flyers alone, that would be one thing, but don't bash Alain Vigneault on Twitter when you're a player. It comes off as very showy and obnoxious.
In short, I agree that Lehner raising awareness about mental health is good, that if he is supported by Patrick in this that his comments are just and that he has the right to say what he wants; I also agree that the league should be clean regardless of who raises the issue. I especially agree with the statement of Kotkaniemi15 "If no one can ever question the system, then it’s never going to change for the better." I don't agree that he would make a good NHLPA rep if he's calling out people by name, nor do I agree that he should be saying this IF Nolan Patrick is not (but again, if Patrick supports his coming forward with this, then I'm simply wrong).

No wars boss just civil discussion 🤝

The reason why I feel like Lehner is voicing it because he was a very low point when under the same issues that a majority of players face and some overcome and some don’t. The idea that Lehner taking Patrick’s story, I understand your issue with it but to play devils advocate;

Lehner was in a terrible spot and sees this young kid who he can both relate too and also sympathize with and then more so we’ve seen other players pass or have life long problems revolving around concussions and addiction to drugs from health issues. So lehner sees this young kid who very well he could be on track for a terrible future or god hope it doesn’t happen future life issues and legitimate life and death risks. Lehner is very outspoken and kinda “crazy” (I don’t mean that in a rude way but Lehner is very; loud, blunt, and kinda gives no ****s. I shouldn’t use the word crazy but I’ll use it for making my comment quicker). So lehner sees this poor kid struggling and goes off the handle. Its a hard subject to say what’s right or wrong, it’s very grey but I understand both your opinion and Lehners on being “the voice”.

@conservativelightningfan91 I edited my comment late so just incase, want my clear comment captured haha
Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I know I’m late to the party but what’s the story with Robin
Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: capsfan2121
I know I’m late to the party but what’s the story with Robin

Short answer: There's a story going around that the Flyers gave Nolan Patrick non-prescribed drugs that carry a fairly significant risk of negative side effects (in order to cure his headaches), Lehner called out the Flyers and Alain Vigneault specifically for it, he also chimed in on the Jack Eichel situation, the league is supposedly talking with him now.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:49 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Devil1122
He was the guy that was trying to fight everyone during the Devils vs Rangers preseason game

Fitz is stealing Drury's grit

Lol. I wonder if the Devils are going to bring back Baddock off waivers then if they want some grit. Sticking Out Tongue
A_Habs_fan, Devil and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
1) Now, to be clear: My point (as to what A_Habs_fan alluded to) is not that speaking out about medical malpractice that doesn't involve the speaker personally is wrong. My point is that Lehner should chime in only if the actual player involved in the incident (in this case, Patrick) supports him. Perhaps he does, but I haven't seen any indication of that yet. If Patrick does feel a grievance towards the Flyers for this, then Lehner is right, and I'm wrong. Either way however, he should not have mentioned Vigneault by name.
2) As to what yikes said about not objecting to the league being "tainted"-I don't object to it at all. I do object to Lehner calling out coaches by name. He shouldn't be doing that, regardless of his stance on the Flyers alleged medical malpractice.
3) Lastly, Kotkaniemi15, I was astounded that Wilson was let off the hook for bashing Buchnevich's cranium into the ice and rag-dolling Panarin afterwards, but the Rangers shouldn't have called out the head of the player safety department by name. A better way of saying it would be "We are severely disappointed with the league's decision" or some other vague, non-specific announcement, but you can't call out the guy in charge of the department by name, criticize him as not actually caring for the safety of players, and expect to NOT be fined (and again, I was on the Rangers' side all the way through). If Lehner had just called out the Flyers alone, that would be one thing, but don't bash Alain Vigneault on Twitter when you're a player. It comes off as very showy and obnoxious.

I guess I can see your point of not calling people out by name but for change to happen there has to be names
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:06 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: yikes
No wars boss just civil discussion 🤝

The reason why I feel like Lehner is voicing it because he was a very low point when under the same issues that a majority of players face and some overcome and some don’t. The idea that Lehner taking Patrick’s story, I understand your issue with it but to play devils advocate;

Lehner was in a terrible spot and sees this young kid who he can both relate too and also sympathize with and then more so we’ve seen other players pass or have life long problems revolving around concussions and addiction to drugs from health issues. So lehner sees this young kid who very well he could be on track for a terrible future or god hope it doesn’t happen future life issues and legitimate life and death risks. Lehner is very outspoken and kinda “crazy” (I don’t mean that in a rude way but Lehner is very; loud, blunt, and kinda gives no ****s. I shouldn’t use the word crazy but I’ll use it for making my comment quicker). So lehner sees this poor kid struggling and goes off the handle. Its a hard subject to say what’s right or wrong, it’s very grey but I understand both your opinion and Lehners on being “the voice”.

conservativelightningfan91 I edited my comment late so just incase, want my clear comment captured haha

No worries dude, completely understand, thanks for being civil
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I guess I can see your point of not calling people out by name but for change to happen there has to be names

I hear that, but in this specific case, how do we know Vigneault authorized giving Patrick the meds? Seems arbitrary to just throw his name in there unless he actually was involved in the decision-making (although I suppose Patrick would know if he was)
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: RagBolts
My favorite is one day he was a Trump supporter the next day he was kneeling. I don't care if I get flamed on here too be honest.
Lehner seems too be off the rocker again. Big mouth, overrated clown. He blames Buffalo for all his problems but Buffalo got him clean and pulled him out of HIS mess. That he caused. I can't stand people that bite the hand that feeds. Why can't the people that he has "stories" about come out and tell them?

Buffalo didn’t help Lehner’s problem, for someone to “get rid” of mental health problems they have to help themselves, and since Lehner has had problems, he can understand better what others are feeling and will want to help them anyway he can.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I hear that, but in this specific case, how do we know Vigneault authorized giving Patrick the meds? Seems arbitrary to just throw his name in there unless he actually was involved in the decision-making (although I suppose Patrick would know if he was)

We don’t know for sure, but I assume that Patrick would be involved in this, both with the details of the situation and giving his blessing to let it reach the public. He and Lehner are teammates, and they wouldn’t do anything that would result in bad-blood before they even play a game together.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.

To be fair, it would probably be the teams GM who makes that decision and not Vigneault but he may have still had a role to play. That part of your point does make sense I guess. I like how we’re having a discussion on a hard topic while still being civic to each other ( or at least almost all civic to each other )
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.

2 weeks ago almost went off on him for not being vaccinated. Since its a medical reason I'm glad I didnt lul.
EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 3, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.

Would be very surprised if Philips makes it through. Despite being small has potential
capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I'll be deleting a bunch of posts and issuing infractions as necessary. Please refer to the forum rules regarding politics.

If we can't be civil then bans will follow and I may have to lock this thread for the time being. Get back on topic please.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:25 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Let’s start talking about hockey shall we?
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:27 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Juiceman

Let’s start talking about hockey shall we?

Sure. Great deals for the canucks
Juiceman liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:27 p.m.
torontos finest
everyone stop talking, the blue jays are winning
MitchMarner_16, capsfan2121, SevenLeg and 4 others liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'll be deleting a bunch of posts and issuing infractions as necessary. Please refer to the forum rules regarding politics.

If we can't be civil then bans will follow and I may have to lock this thread for the time being. Get back on topic please.

Feel for u. The cleanup of this last couple hours is worse than cleaning gas station washrooms 🤢
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Feel for u. The cleanup of this last couple hours is worse than cleaning gas station washrooms 🤢

What’s a washroom is it a bathroom
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:31 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Yes.

Bathroom=Washroom=Restroom=Toilet station
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:37 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: mondo
everyone stop talking, the blue jays are winning

Im a Yankees fan grimace
EsoYeezus69 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.

Lol imma just call it a bank from now on

A place to make deposits
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:44 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Devil1122
Im a Yankees fan grimace

yankees?!?!

830993349526683660.png?size=96
EsoYeezus69, yikes, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:48 p.m.
Farewell
Canada has submitted its first three players for the Olympics: Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, and Alex Pietrangelo.
https://www.nhl.com/news/crosby-mcdavid-pietrangelo-canada-2022-olympics-roster/c-326553618
yikes, Saskleaf and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
Canada has submitted its first three players for the Olympics: Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavid, and Alex Pietrangelo.
https://www.nhl.com/news/crosby-mcdavid-pietrangelo-canada-2022-olympics-roster/c-326553618

Wow I’m so surprised by this who could have guessed that they would make the team
EsoYeezus69, yikes, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll