SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Sep. 10, 2023 at 8:13 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/835541/anton-silayev

Check out this beast. 6'7" 207 LBS 17 YO playing in the KHL 3A in 3 Games.

had like 8 points in 41 games in the MHL the year prior. Hockey's funny.
zk97 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2023 at 9:09 a.m.
Bedard23
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2710155/amp

Explains why DeBrincat didn’t want to resign
zk97 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
had like 8 points in 41 games in the MHL the year prior. Hockey's funny.

He could have 0 points and there's a chance he could get drafted just on his height alone.
zk97 and Db1899 liked this.
Sep. 10, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Edited Sep. 10, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk

I def don’t blame him. Or the sens either.

He’s the kinda guy you kinda want playing with your best offensive skaters, but Brady Tkachuk is too.

Now in Detroit he can do what robbi Fabbri couldn’t.

The sens will be fine. Just pretend he stayed then tore his acl or something if the sunk cost bothers ya. Tarasenko is more of a fit for the role maybe anyway. Def not as good of a shot anymore but he’s gonna get a lot more done with a power move off the wall to the net than DeBrincat ever will, and if he’s playing with giroux he has an outlet that he will find often. And he’s cheaper.
HockeyManiac95 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quinn Hughes Canucks captain. Devils fans in shambles
Sep. 11, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Sep. 11, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
I feel picking Hughes over Petterson was not a smart move by Van for who should be the next captain

Everyone was saying Pete should get it even former captain Horvat.

And this is on top of the uncertainty Pete wants to stay long term
Sep. 11, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Juiceman
Quinn Hughes Canucks captain. Devils fans in shambles

Let us pray that his may put an end to the incessant Quinn to NJD AGMs.
BigBallsBriere and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 11, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: IconicHawk

Well you have to ask DeBrincat. Well he was one year away so he leveraged himself to what he wanted as maybe a better destination or even a better contract. My opinion he preferred to play in the Wings than Sens.....or maybe even the Hawks. Wings and Sens should be good very soon, and so might the Hawks.
Really no different what Tkachuk did with the Flames/Panthers trade, the previous year. Or PLD with Jets/Kings
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:38 a.m.
torontos finest
ouqVQ8W.png

huh
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
ouqVQ8W.png

huh

This is like how Boone Jenner is CBJ's captain over someone like Werenski, Lowry isn't a good player but he's a solid player and allegedly a good leader
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
This is like how Boone Jenner is CBJ's captain over someone like Werenski, Lowry isn't a good player but he's a solid player and allegedly a good leader

I sort of miss the days when it was extremely common that the captain was not the best player on the team, but simply the best leader.
Steven_Stamkos and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
I sort of miss the days when it was extremely common that the captain was not the best player on the team, but simply the best leader.

Well nowadays, most of the leaders are good players (or at least the leaders with term on their contracts)
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
While Morrissey and Petey would have been good options, Lowry and Hughes are excellent ones. Both guys are the motors of their team
Sep. 12, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Tatar to COL 1x1.5M
Sep. 12, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
Edited Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Looks like Babcock maybe on his way out?

Idk I’m in the minority. I don’t mind him being weird. You don’t touch/strike people, you don’t discuss/involve family, politics, religion, and you show up and give a max effort to do well. Everything else, I do not care. I’d suggest the best leaders are the ones who make their top performers the most uncomfortable.

For example, forcing Marner to list lazy teammates is probably the flavor of medicine Mitch Marner needs a few more doses of, even though everybody agrees it tastes bad. There is not 1 person who thinks that’s a positive idea through and through. Marner’s the one who picked hockey, the most savage, besides perhaps ufc, of all athletic professions. Hockey was savage before him, is now, and will be long after he’s gone. And he looked like an absolute joke against Tkachuk on the ice. Granted, I’m not expecting a fist fight, but woof that was really a bad moment. Maybe if he had just a few more years of bad taste built up he’d put his hands up and atleast resist. Matthews had it when Stamkos was bringing it.

I don’t mind him saying, “hey player take out your phone let me see your photos”. First off player is grown man can say no. If any of you ever think, “well that’s my coach I can’t say no” stop and fix yourself. Second off, super interesting way to catch somebody off guard and judge their reaction.

Yeah, it rubs the absolute wrong way.

Some reactions I see on social media you’d think Babcock was done murdering a 3rd player and planning the 4th. Snowflakes.

The fact that it’s public makes me think there’s some softies in Columbus.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Looks like Babcock maybe on his way out?

Idk I’m in the minority. I don’t mind him being weird. You don’t touch/strike people, you don’t discuss/involve family, politics, religion, and you show up and give a max effort to do well. Everything else, I do not care. I’d suggest the best leaders are the ones who make their top performers the most uncomfortable.

For example, forcing Marner to list lazy teammates is probably the flavor of medicine Mitch Marner needs a few more doses of, even though everybody agrees it tastes bad. There is not 1 person who thinks that’s a positive idea through and through. Marner’s the one who picked hockey, the most savage, besides perhaps ufc, of all athletic professions. Hockey was savage before him, is now, and will be long after he’s gone. And he looked like an absolute joke against Tkachuk on the ice. Granted, I’m not expecting a fist fight, but woof that was really a bad moment. Maybe if he had just a few more years of bad taste built up he’d put his hands up and atleast resist. Matthews had it when Stamkos was bringing it.

I don’t mind him saying, “hey player take out your phone let me see your photos”. First off player is grown man can say no. If any of you ever think, “well that’s my coach I can’t say no” stop and fix yourself. Second off, super interesting way to catch somebody off guard and judge their reaction.

Yeah, it rubs the absolute wrong way.

Some reactions I see on social media you’d think Babcock was done murdering a 3rd player and planning the 4th. Snowflakes.

The fact that it’s public makes me think there’s some softies in Columbus.

How is it "soft" to not want to share personal information with your coach? That's like your boss asking to scroll through your phone so they can determine if you deserve a raise or not.

There is no tangible on-ice benefit that can come from forcing one of your players to hand over their phone so you can view their private photos. Not only is Babcock a walking PR problem, he's just not a good coach.
A_Habs_fan and Tintin liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
ouqVQ8W.png

huh

I feel WPG should not have even named a captain considering the potential turnover we could see (Scheifele, Hellebuyck, and others may be moved)

After Pheneuf was traded despite having strong candidates we left it alone till 2020 even with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander or vets like JVR, Bozak, Rielly, etc.

Would have just left it alone till the dust settled as just having 4 A's aint bad
Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Im taking these Babcock reports with a giant pinch of salt

I know he had his flaws but no way he was that stupid to do that right he just got another job as an NHL head coach

He knew he was on thin ice before and despite past issues doubt he would immediately revert back to his old self

Feel like this is one of those Kypreos rumors but hey if the evidence is presented than wow what an idiot lul.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
Edited Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: Daryl
How is it "soft" to not want to share personal information with your coach? That's like your boss asking to scroll through your phone so they can determine if you deserve a raise or not.

There is no tangible on-ice benefit that can come from forcing one of your players to hand over their phone so you can view their private photos. Not only is Babcock a walking PR problem, he's just not a good coach.

It’s quite normal and acceptable to not want to share.

You can assertively say no.

That’s the end.

If the other person decides to escalate the situation then they have made a poor choice. That’s when you escalate it to your agent. Right then. You do not have to change your mind and you are in the righteous position.

If you are not comfortable with something no is acceptable. People need to be assertive and control their own ships. Yes others are impressionable, they always will be. You are you.

I’d personally just show my phone. I care exactly 0. I’d hand it to you rn if you were next to me. You have permission to pass it around. Do not care.

What’s soft is not wanting to but caving in then whining about it to people who talk on the radio. So soft it can’t stand on its own two feet or speak out of its own mouth.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.

That’s the end.

If the other person decides to escalate the situation then they have made a poor choice. That’s when you escalate it to your agent. Right then. You do not have to change your mind and you are in the righteous position.

If you are not comfortable with something no is acceptable. People need to be assertive and control their own ships. Yes others are impressionable, they always will be. You are you.

I’d personally just show my phone. I care exactly 0. I’d hand it to you rn if you were next to me. You have permission to pass it around. Do not care.

What’s soft is not wanting to but caving in then whining about it to people who talk on the radio. So soft it can’t stand on its own two feet or speak out of its own mouth.

It's literally a privacy violation if Babcock wants to go through players phones, that's the end of the story, there's no good reason to do that
Sep. 12, 2023 at 2:03 p.m.
It's literally a privacy violation if Babcock wants to go through players phones, that's the end of the story, there's no good reason to do that

I do not recall a privacy clause in the cba.

There is only one god in this land.

Well two. The on-ice rule book too.

I’m not saying what he did was a good idea, but I do like how weird it is. I feel if different personalities went through the experience it may have had much different results. I feel if it were a bunch of people who don’t really care like me that it would be hilarious and positive.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
get ur corsi up

That’s the end.

Jenner's decision to allow Babcock to check is phone or not has no impact on the substance of the original request. Assuming the allegations are true (which is unconfirmed), Babcock asking to see Jenner's phone is unprofessional and pointless regardless of Jenner saying "no" or "yes" to it. Jenner's response doesn't change the fact that checking players phones brings no on-ice benefits, builds mistrust between the coaching staff and the players, and is an unprofessional thing to do.

Sure you can view Jenner as soft for not being able to stand up and say "no", but that doesn't change the fact that the initial request to see his phone is still unwarranted.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
I do not recall a privacy clause in the cba.

There is only one god in this land.

Well two. The on-ice rule book too.

I’m not saying what he did was a good idea, but I do like how weird it is. I feel if different personalities went through the experience it may have had much different results. I feel if it were a bunch of people who don’t really care like me that it would be hilarious and positive.

"I do not recall a privacy clause in the cba." Coaches aren't part of the CBA, the CBA is between the NHLPA (Players) and the NHL. Also the right to privacy is a basic human right in almost all countries laws
aadoyle liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
I honestly believe Jenner and Babcock to tell the truth here.
Feel like it's perfectly natural to (politely) ask someone you're entering a work-relationship with to show some pictures of family and loved ones if it comes up naturally in a conversation between colleagues.
Also, I don't hold this Biz and Spittin Chiclets in very high regard and could totally see them blowing something like this out of proportion purely for the engagement.
F52FsAuXMAAgYY8?format=jpg&name=large
Daryl, NoVaSpartan, BigBallsBriere and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 4:50 p.m.
Edited Sep. 12, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
"I do not recall a privacy clause in the cba." Coaches aren't part of the CBA, the CBA is between the NHLPA (Players) and the NHL. Also the right to privacy is a basic human right in almost all countries laws

I hate to have to tell you but for about 15 years privacy is gone. Anything you feel you had a right to has been gone dozens of times over. Kinda an internet thing, now an internet of things thing. That’s another story for another time.

Anyway, dude could have said no.

Dude could have said no then spoken to his agent or attorney.

Dude could have went to Jarmo.

Dude could have just spoken to Mike and explained his point of view.

Dude could have spoken to the press himself, or sent out a message on social media.

Dude could have done any number of things.

Instead - we air our greviences by texting biznasty and barstool sports, like real men. We remain anonymous like real men do when faced with adversity we just hide and everything is that guys fault it’s so bad I can’t go on. I’m emphasizing men because barstool markets itself in that manner. Big wrenches, partying, bro time, being elite hockey players, world travelers. The toughest of the tough. Ironic.

It’s petty af times a lot. These are grown adult men. There is 0 excuse for “I didn’t want to give him my phone”. There is only “I gave him my phone” or “I said no and did not give him my phone”. It’s not like these dudes are intoxicated or incapable of free will, and if Mike Babcock was holding guns to their heads that would be the story I think. Obv if Mike Babcock took their phones without their permission: that’s a crime! Widely unacceptable behavior. Consequences come for that. That isn’t what biz said. So if it isn’t a theft situation it isn’t any violation of any privacy. If the dude handed his phone over then the dude handed his phone over.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll