FOR

PIT 2nd
VAN 3rd
DET 4th
Pearson
Lindstrom
Legaré

I love my GM.

Been a long time since I have had confidence in my GM. Bergevin was good back in the day, but damn were the last few years rough.
Rideordie liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:36 p.m.
Tanner Pearson is better than people give him credit for.

In the first year of this contract, he scored 34 points and his on-ice goal differential was a mere 0.8 below expected. That's not bad for 3.25 million. That said, getting a good backup goalie for just $1.8 million is also not bad.

I'm giving the edge to Montreal, but not by a huge amount.
rollie1967 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
The full trade is :

Hoffman
Pitlick
Taking 2x$1.5M of Petry's caphit

FOR

PIT 2nd
VAN 3rd
DET 4th
Pearson (might be traded for another pick at TDL if healty!)
Lindstrom
Legaré

I love my GM.

Montreal has done really well this off season and their future looks good.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 6:42 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
So, Is Pearson the next guy that's worth a 1st+ at TDL?
turtlemountain liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 7:02 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Leafsfan98
So, Is Pearson the next guy that's worth a 1st+ at TDL?

No most definitely not. Even in his prime I don't see him getting that kind of return. There isn't a spot for him in our top 6 to have any sort of rebound. Maybe a late pick if he rebounds somewhat, but there isn't much upside in him.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 7:03 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
No most definitely not. Even in his prime I don't see him getting that kind of return. There isn't a spot for him in our top 6 to have any sort of rebound. Maybe a late pick if he rebounds somewhat, but there isn't much upside in him.

I was joking
CBA, CSStrowbridge, sensonfire and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 7:31 p.m.
Spencer Martins play last year didnt inspire much confidence, so picking up a more established backup was a prudent move. Martin and Silovs can play in Abby, while Sawchenko and Tolopilo are ECHL bound most likely. Martin could rebound (he looked great 2 years ago- and could be picked up on waivers if a team suffers an injury). Pearson is a good vet- but we had too many wingers and this will give a younger player a better opportunity. The Canucks 3rd rounder is probably the best piece in the trade, but this habit of trading off picks to correct contractual overpays has to stop if the Canucks are to actually contend for a cup in the next decade.
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
This team kills me
It’s the cost of doing business. Would have liked it if it was a later pick but Canucks do well to person as his spot would have been lost to a younger player and get a back up. Not a great trade, but I’m not losing sleep over it.
CSStrowbridge and rollie1967 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
I doubt there was a market for either player. This boils down to it being a 3rd for 1.45M in cap. Vancouver likely would have preferred not to take back DeSmith, and Montreal wasn't taking Pearson for a 3rd without DeSmith going the other way.
RawDeal liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 8:20 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Pearson - Monahan - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Gallagher

Two full lines of players that are regularly injured.
There will still be playing time for younger guys.
pinslack, OldNYIfan, majormoose007 and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
I feel this is fair deal pretty indifferent on who wins kinda meh for both side, I'm not sure I love it or hate it for either team.

I think I like it slightly more for Vancouver because they were able to upgrade at Backup goalie, while also dumping a bad deal, and they only discarded a 3rd round pick which realistically is nothing, but they also did get rid of a pick which may be less ideal if their comes a change in direction in the future.

For the habs, I think this was more than anything doing Desmith a favor, although I also think they did Vancouver a solid too, letting them get off a expensiveish contract for nothing, and you upgrade their goalie position.

All in all, it's not too crazy to care enough about. Don;t think either team came out too bad.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:04 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Fair deal, maybe even a Habs win (sadly)
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:06 p.m.
Been a long time since I have had confidence in my GM. Bergevin was good back in the day, but damn were the last few years rough.

now lets just hope the high first round pick drafting pays off (slaf, mesar, and reinbacher)
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:18 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: drambui
now lets just hope the high first round pick drafting pays off (slaf, mesar, and reinbacher)

Seems weird that they're drafting Europeans with those high end picks, Rangers were terrible with the strategy and it seems like the Rangers 2.0 haven't learned.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:29 p.m.
Seems weird that they're drafting Europeans with those high end picks, Rangers were terrible with the strategy and it seems like the Rangers 2.0 haven't learned.

thats a ridiculous oversimplification if i ever seen any.
rollie1967 liked this.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:29 p.m.
Canucks
This is a very fair trade.

Both teams trade from a position of strength. Canucks had too many wingers, Habs had too many goalies.

Why Montreal wins, the 3rd round pick. May be able to flip Pearson IF he plays well.

Why the Canucks win: The cap flexibility, improved depth in 2, probably 3, positions.

1. Improves the Canucks goalie Depth. Desmith is easily Canucks #2 and gives them a great AHL tandem in Silovs - Martin. Theyre now in a position where they may be able to overcome an injury to Demko, which they could not last year.

2. It also allows the Canucks to improve their Center depth fitting Pius Suter's cap hit on the books.

3. This trade gives them the option to resign Ethan Bear. I think we will see this signing happen in the near future which improves their blueline depth.
Sep. 19, 2023 at 11:36 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Then send him to Laval where he cost 2.1 Million.

He still costs just as much at laval. you have to replace him with another roster player on the cap. At minimum that's another 800k
Sep. 20, 2023 at 12:51 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: drambui
thats a ridiculous oversimplification if i ever seen any.

Same people drafting players from the same region. Not as deep as you think.
Sep. 20, 2023 at 1:50 a.m.
hes dynamite
pearson when playing was pretty not good for a few years. Stats might say otherwise, but had the misfortune of watching alot of canucks games. I have no read on DeSmith as a backup, but if hes serviceable, im surprised it only cost the canucks a 3rd to get rid of pearson
Sep. 20, 2023 at 9:52 a.m.
and proud of it
Alr Avs fans, it's Martin Jones
Sep. 20, 2023 at 10:57 a.m.

This reminds me of the time when somebody asked a Swedish player – I can’t remember which one – why Sweden didn’t do better in a recently completed Canada Cup tournament. His answer was, “too many Swedes,” the implication being that Swedish players were most effective as part of a team that included a mix of players from other countries. If you look at Montreal’s depth chart on CapFriendly, you notice an overwhelming number of Canadian flags. Maybe they’re trying to get a better mix.

At the time of that interview, different styles of play were predominant in different countries, so picking players from different countries would generally give you a broader mix of different skill sets. That seems to be less true now, so I think most teams pick the best player available regardless of where he’s from, and it’s probably just a coincidence that Montreal’s recent high draft picks have been European.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Sep. 20, 2023 at 10:58 a.m.
Good trade all around. Both teams give up a player they didn’t need for one they can use. The draft pick compensates Montreal for the difference in cap hit, which will come out of Price’s LTIR exemption so they can afford it, as they continue their strategy of turning that exemption into draft picks. (Their net return from the Karlsson trade is now Pearson, Gustav Lindstrom, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for Hoffman, Pitlick and a 2x$2.3M contribution toward Petry’s cap hit.)

You could say that the draft pick means Montreal wins this trade, but I think DeSmith will help Vancouver more than Pearson will help Montreal. Having an experienced NHL backup gives them more flexibility to manage Silovs’s development while he’s still waivers exempt, and should give them better protection in case of another Demko injury. Montreal has a couple of non-exempt young forwards who could fall below Pearson on the depth chart, but I think they can still afford to keep them on their NHL roster if they don’t want to risk them being claimed on waivers.
Sep. 20, 2023 at 10:59 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: jr400
This reminds me of the time when somebody asked a Swedish player – I can’t remember which one – why Sweden didn’t do better in a recently completed Canada Cup tournament. His answer was, “too many Swedes,” the implication being that Swedish players were most effective as part of a team that included a mix of players from other countries. If you look at Montreal’s depth chart on CapFriendly, you notice an overwhelming number of Canadian flags. Maybe they’re trying to get a better mix.

At the time of that interview, different styles of play were predominant in different countries, so picking players from different countries would generally give you a broader mix of different skill sets. That seems to be less true now, so I think most teams pick the best player available regardless of where he’s from, and it’s probably just a coincidence that Montreal’s recent high draft picks have been European.

You can look at the Rangers when Bobrov was there, and all of their high end draft picks were European, I don't think it's a coincidence. For some reason, he likes the European's at the high end of the draft.
Sep. 20, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: jr400
Good trade all around. Both teams give up a player they didn’t need for one they can use. The draft pick compensates Montreal for the difference in cap hit, which will come out of Price’s LTIR exemption so they can afford it, as they continue their strategy of turning that exemption into draft picks. (Their net return from the Karlsson trade is now Pearson, Gustav Lindstrom, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for Hoffman, Pitlick and a 2x$2.3M contribution toward Petry’s cap hit.)

You could say that the draft pick means Montreal wins this trade, but I think DeSmith will help Vancouver more than Pearson will help Montreal. Having an experienced NHL backup gives them more flexibility to manage Silovs’s development while he’s still waivers exempt, and should give them better protection in case of another Demko injury. Montreal has a couple of non-exempt young forwards who could fall below Pearson on the depth chart, but I think they can still afford to keep them on their NHL roster if they don’t want to risk them being claimed on waivers.

He's going to help Vancouver be even more Mid. They're the 6th best team in the Pacific, the only thing DeSmith will do is win them a few more games which will keep them middle of the draft. It hurts Vancouver both ways. Trading away picks while getting better, but not good enough.
Sep. 20, 2023 at 11:03 a.m.
Banned
Fair deal.
Canucks get cap compliant with a needed backup.

Habs use cap space and will flip Pearson down the line, get a 3rd which the Habs love to hoard…ALWAYS..make DeSmith happy

Quoting: aadoyle
True or hey can just waive him to the AHL who cares

Habs will need to get creative on the wings.

Pearson, Armia could both be put on waivers at this point. Guys like Joshua Roy, Emil Heinemen , Sean Farrell deserve to be given a chance after the rookie showcase and performance last season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit