SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vegas Golden Knights signed Noah Hanifin (8 Years / $7,350,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Apr. 11 at 5:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: TheReelChuckFletcher
It's possible that Vegas extends Mantha short-to-medium term instead of Marchessault. They like cycling their stars a bit in order to give them solid team depth.

Nah I think he's gone. They need the cap for Marchessault and they have some guys who can fill his spot
vmark liked this.
Apr. 11 at 5:43 p.m.
I like many teams
This is similar to what Devon Toews got, plus the fact that we basically knew that Toews would sign in Colorado, as opposed to this situation. I doubt it ages great but it certainly fits the timeline. This was definitely a good time to extend him - we have a good look of him in Vegas but they have not yet had a cup run which will inflate his value or a disappointing exit which will lower his chances of signing.
Apr. 11 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: tasieboy
Will Hronek make more or less than this when he signs?

I am really happy for this deal. As a Canucks fan this is great news as early reports are that Hronek's camp is asking for around $8M. IMO Hanafin is a superior player to Hronek and while Hronek is one year younger, I think the comparable is there.
Apr. 11 at 6:23 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Just like that, Theodore has been replaced by a shinny new toy.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 11 at 6:33 p.m.
Bedard23
Vegas is never beating the west coast lightning allegations
Apr. 11 at 6:55 p.m.
tasieboy
Quoting: doogiski
I am really happy for this deal. As a Canucks fan this is great news as early reports are that Hronek's camp is asking for around $8M. IMO Hanafin is a superior player to Hronek and while Hronek is one year younger, I think the comparable is there.

I agree Hanafin >= Hronek but the RHD tax might come into effect and BC taxes are crazy so I think Hronek gets 7.75ish a little below Hughes
Apr. 11 at 7:42 p.m.
MK458
This doesn't make sense. The tax advantage is substantial and much more than $150k.

The difference for Hanifin each year making $7.35M in Vegas vs. Calgary is $640k take home:

Vegas (taxed at 38.9% from https://www.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=7350000&from=year&region=Nevada): $7.35M -> $4.49M take home
Calgary (taxed at 47.6% from https://ca.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=7350000&from=year&region=Alberta): $7.35M -> $3.85M take home

If Hanafin stays all 8 years in Vegas, the total take home difference between signing in Vegas vs. Calgary is $5.12M. This would mean Hanafin would have to play over 9 years in Calgary to take home the same earnings as he does in 8 years in Vegas.

Does this take into account that you're only taxed at that amount for 41 games? Doesn't look like it does. Because that's how Elliot Freedman explained it. You're taxed at the rate of the place where the game is played, meaning you only get that 38.9% for 41 home games.

And obviously there are other factors like cost of living, disparity of property values in different locations, things like that to consider.
Apr. 11 at 8:01 p.m.
TrevorA
I figured Hanifin would want to be in the East, but how long will BOS & TBL remain competitive. NJD, NYR & FLA would have been interesting destinations for him too, but VEG paid a decent price to acquire him, are very competitive and have aging Defensemen/Martinez to replace, so this just makes sense

As for the $$$, I wanted him extended in CGY for $6.25-6.75mil/yr last year, but he played well in his contract year and was apparently offered $7.5mil/yr by Conroy… $7.35 seems reasonable given his age and the fact he’s not an Elite $9-10mil/yr+ Player like Josi and he’ll definitely make more in Vegas after taxes than he would have in CGY
vmark liked this.
Apr. 11 at 8:43 p.m.
Good nerd
Quoting: NHLfan10506
“Will only sign in Boston”

We were talking about the 2032 offseason, duh!
Apr. 11 at 8:45 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: Leafsfan98
So I guess VGK is saying goodbye to Mantha, Marchessault and Stephenson next year?

Yea def not Marchy, they'll make some room for him elsewhere on the lineup

Stevie is probably one of the best centers available though, he's going to get paid.
KingofRnR liked this.
Apr. 11 at 8:45 p.m.
Quoting: tupty
We were talking about the 2032 offseason, duh!

As Devils fan, I wanted to believe the version that said, he will only sign in Boston, Florida, Tampa Bay or New Jersey.
tupty liked this.
Apr. 11 at 8:47 p.m.
IG vincemark78
Quoting: aadoyle
Mantha and Stephenson yes

Marchessault no

Got a feeling they gonna move out someone's like Whitecloud to make it work. Also have Lehners LTIR money to work with

Don't forget about Dorofeyev, Amadio, Carrier and Martinez.

I think Alec will take less to resign, most likely, but those are also some important pieces...

They will be making a trade in the offseason before FA starts that is for sure.
Apr. 11 at 8:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: vmark
Don't forget about Dorofeyev, Amadio, Carrier and Martinez.

I think Alec will take less to resign, most likely, but those are also some important pieces...

They will be making a trade in the offseason before FA starts that is for sure.

Dorofeyev is an RFA and wont cost much to extend

Amadio, Carrier, Martinez be gone

VGK have prospects ready to make the jump and some guys on cheap deals who can fill in
vmark liked this.
Apr. 11 at 8:54 p.m.
the next "LTIR candidate to be magically healthy before playoffs"
Apr. 11 at 9:23 p.m.
Not the P. Kessel resigns in VGK signing I was hoping for.

Vote NO
Apr. 11 at 11:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
This doesn't make sense. The tax advantage is substantial and much more than $150k.

The difference for Hanifin each year making $7.35M in Vegas vs. Calgary is $640k take home:

Vegas (taxed at 38.9% from https://www.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=7350000&from=year&region=Nevada): $7.35M -> $4.49M take home
Calgary (taxed at 47.6% from https://ca.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=7350000&from=year&region=Alberta): $7.35M -> $3.85M take home

If Hanafin stays all 8 years in Vegas, the total take home difference between signing in Vegas vs. Calgary is $5.12M. This would mean Hanafin would have to play over 9 years in Calgary to take home the same earnings as he does in 8 years in Vegas.

Well if players paid personal tax rates, you would have a valid point. But they don't so not really an issue.
Funny, not once have a heard a Raptor or Blue Jay complain taxes when they are traded or signed by those Toronto teams. But somehow on the tax experts on CapFriendly make it a big issue.
Apr. 12 at 12:48 a.m.
IG vincemark78
Dorofeyev is an RFA and wont cost much to extend

Amadio, Carrier, Martinez be gone

VGK have prospects ready to make the jump and some guys on cheap deals who can fill in

I feel like they might be open to moving Roy as well, potentially resigning Martinez at a low hit. But yeah, depends how things shake out in the playoffs too
Apr. 12 at 6:32 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Well if players paid personal tax rates, you would have a valid point. But they don't so not really an issue.
Funny, not once have a heard a Raptor or Blue Jay complain taxes when they are traded or signed by those Toronto teams. But somehow on the tax experts on CapFriendly make it a big issue.

I mean, if you choose to sign in Toronto, seems dumb to complain about taxes after you chose to sign there
Apr. 12 at 8:38 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: vmark
Yea def not Marchy, they'll make some room for him elsewhere on the lineup

Stevie is probably one of the best centers available though, he's going to get paid.

Then they lose other players
vmark liked this.
Apr. 12 at 8:40 a.m.
The big question about this signing is does he start having REGULAR season ending injuries at the trade deadline in year 3 or 4 of the contract?
Apr. 12 at 8:50 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
This contract is a pretty good example on how tax advantage is much smaller than most people think given his offer in CGY was for 7.5. Like yeah it totally exists but it isnt really anything to get antsy about and claim it to be a massive factor. 0.15M is roughly the gap.

Anyway, this contract seems in line with my expectations so I think it's fine. NH is a low end 1st pair D and he's being paid as such

That's not how it works though. Salary is taxed where earned (so road games are taxed differently than home games) and signing bonuses are taxed based on residency (hence Auston Matthews pays Arizona taxes on most of his earnings). There are multiple loopholes, tax shelters, etc that players can take advantage of depending on circumstances.

Ergo, the real tax difference between Alberta and Nevada isn't going to be that big.
palhal and Random2152 liked this.
Apr. 12 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
In a vacuum, this is a good signing. HOWEVER, Vegas has almost no cap space left for next year and they need to sign at least two more players. Something is going to have to give. Either they buyout someone, pay to give away a contract, or they are left with a 20-man roster and every injury leaves them shorthanded.

They'll figure something out. They always do.
Apr. 12 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: TheReelChuckFletcher
It's possible that Vegas extends Mantha short-to-medium term instead of Marchessault. They like cycling their stars a bit in order to give them solid team depth.

Nah I think he's gone. They need the cap for Marchessault and they have some guys who can fill his spot

I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but if it comes down to one or the other, you could argue that Mantha may be the better choice. Marchessault is the better player, but Mantha should cost them less to sign, and he's younger. It all depends on whether they feel their cap situation makes keeping Marchessault a luxury they can't afford, and how important they think it is to position themselves for sustained success versus just planning for next season. It seems that their planning has always been short term, but replacing Martinez with Hanifin tells me that they may be thinking they need to get younger. Mantha isn't exactly young -- he'll be 30 when his next contract kicks in -- but he's almost four years younger than Marchessault.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to keep both of them. I don't know how, but it wouldn't be the first time they've found a way out of a situation where they had no apparent path to cap compliance.
Apr. 12 at 10:56 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean, if you choose to sign in Toronto, seems dumb to complain about taxes after you chose to sign there

True, but I did mention players "traded" to Toronto. They haven't complained either.
Apr. 12 at 2:05 p.m.

Yup. The salary cap should be vs net value.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit