SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread #28 - Oilers are a Wagon

Apr. 10, 2022 at 10:19 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: justaBoss
That might happen with sports, but not with acted series to me.

With hockey, I get excited, thrilled, and go crazy. With film, I get emotionally stunned. I just sit there gaping and staring, occasionally walking around in a circle out of disbelief. Usually it's quality cinema that gives me goosebumps. but in this case, it was the acting. When film is done right (which it rarely is nowadays), it's a tour de force.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 10:38 p.m.
Farewell
Today, Jordan Staal had his first regular-season hat trick in over 13 years (and the 3rd of his career overall).

The last one came on November 11, 2008, when he was with the Penguins, exactly 13 years to the day before Blake Comeau was placed on waivers on November 11, 2021. @EsoYeezus69 You're welcome. smile

csick, EsoYeezus69, NoVaSpartan and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 10:45 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean its better for the League for Vegas to make it over LA as lets be real a healthy Vegas is scarier than this LA team who apparently wont have Doughty back for the playoffs.

LA though next season with Chycrun will be more fun

But still Pacioretty - Eichel - Stone gonna be a dangerous line come playoff time

I think it would be a lot funnier if they didn’t
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 10:55 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Today, Jordan Staal had his first regular-season hat trick in over 13 years (and the 3rd of his career overall).

The last one came on November 11, 2008, when he was with the Penguins, exactly 13 years to the day before Blake Comeau was placed on waivers on November 11, 2021. EsoYeezus69 You're welcome. smile

All were easy empty nets though
Apr. 10, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
All were easy empty nets though

Idgaf, Jordan Staal elite. More points than that bum (not really a bum) Gallagher
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 10, 2022 at 11:30 p.m.
What in tarnation

EV Def being almost 100% is a bit surprising to me
EsoYeezus69 and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 12:41 a.m.
Quoting: justaBoss

EV Def being almost 100% is a bit surprising to me

See I feel like the truly elite players can simply decide to add aspects to their game, and being responsible defensively is one of them, because they’re intelligent enough to pull it off and have the desire to win so badly that once they make the NHL, they realize there’s more to being good than just scoring a lot of points, so they round out their game while maintaining their elite offensive impacts, even if it means a slight reduction in total points, because it leads to more wins. We’ve seen it with Crosby, Matthews, and Eichel for example. Kinda makes you wonder why some guys choose not to (looking specifically at Ovechkin and the Oilers duo).
aadoyle, Tintin and justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
See I feel like the truly elite players can simply decide to add aspects to their game, and being responsible defensively is one of them, because they’re intelligent enough to pull it off and have the desire to win so badly that once they make the NHL, they realize there’s more to being good than just scoring a lot of points, so they round out their game while maintaining their elite offensive impacts, even if it means a slight reduction in total points, because it leads to more wins. We’ve seen it with Crosby, Matthews, and Eichel for example. Kinda makes you wonder why some guys choose not to (looking specifically at Ovechkin and the Oilers duo).

Defense takes commitment and some stars are like you know what let other guys do that I will focus on offense. Thats a backwards mindset. Torts is right when players commit to both ends they unlock that next level that helps bring their game up. Matthews is the most recent example as man he went from okay defense to straight up why you aint on the PK yet. Combined with his amazing offense hes gonna only get better.

One day we will see the dynamic duo PK

But anyways

A prime example of stars not committing is the WPG Jets forwards. Scheifele is one of the most one dimensional guys I have seen 0 effort in his own end.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 12:53 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Defense takes commitment and some stars are like you know what let other guys do that I will focus on offense. Thats a backwards mindset. Torts is right when players commit to both ends they unlock that next level that helps bring their game up. Matthews is the most recent example as man he went from okay defense to straight up why you aint on the PK yet. Combined with his amazing offense hes gonna only get better.

One day we will see the dynamic duo PK

But anyways

A prime example of stars not committing is the WPG Jets forwards. Scheifele is one of the most one dimensional guys I have seen 0 effort in his own end.

I wouldn't say that, Schiefele has lots of effort in his own end. After all, he put alot of effort in that Evans hit
A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 12:58 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
I wouldn't say that, Schiefele has lots of effort in his own end. After all, he put alot of effort in that Evans hit

Thats the wrong kind of own zone effort lul
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 1:03 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Thats the wrong kind of own zone effort lul

Twas a joke
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 1:12 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Sounds exactly like what Elias Pettersson was doing. Developed his defensive game when he wasn’t gaining points and now he’s found a balance between the two . I think the Oilers duo is all offense first because they don’t really have good supporting crew so they might as well just outscore the opposition
Apr. 11, 2022 at 6:47 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Guys I have a question.
Hypothetically, could you sign an RFA you currently hold the rights to, to say a 3x3 contract, and immediately trade that same player to another team with retention on that newly signed contract?
Of course, this assumes that the player and the two teams are all fine with this course of action.
Basically, are you allowed to do a sign and trade with retention included in that trade?
Apr. 11, 2022 at 6:56 a.m.
Quoting: PaulieWalnuts
Guys I have a question.
Hypothetically, could you sign an RFA you currently hold the rights to, to say a 3x3 contract, and immediately trade that same player to another team with retention on that newly signed contract?
Of course, this assumes that the player and the two teams are all fine with this course of action.
Basically, are you allowed to do a sign and trade with retention included in that trade?

I don’t think so, I’m pretty sure retention only counts for the active contract. So if the 3x3 started July 1, you’d have to wait til July 1 to trade it with retention
capsfan2121, zk97, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 7:01 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
So if the 3x3 started July 1, you’d have to wait til July 1 to trade it with retention

That's the assumption.
This hypothetical trade would go down immediately after that RFA was re-signed, at any point in time on July 1st or some days / weeks after.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 7:23 a.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I love it when people out their own search histories on public forums.

For what it's worth, I get the weird stuff too, but I'm fully aware as to why it's happening.

Dude I’ve never googled the place I work. I TOTALLY get that if I’m googling a lot of, say hockey equipment, I’m going to get ads for similar things. It’s just weird that I haven’t googled the store I work or other grocery stores
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 8:19 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

Feels spot on. Even guys like Ovi are getting on the defensive train as of late, though much of that may just be because our defense this year sucks.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 8:31 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
he gets away with everything
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 8:48 a.m.
cautious optimism
Bobcat’s Post Game Notes, Game 73

Jackets win, 5-4, in overtime, over the Detroit Red Wings.

-Sean Kuraly got Covid in the least convenient time, and Boone is still out with his back injury, so Lars is running 11 forwards and 7 defensemen. A bold strategy, let’s see if it pays out for us.

-I don’t know if I was seeing things, it seemed like the lights were going green at one point. Did someone press the wrong button up in the control booth or what?

-Rosie scores for the first time in 12 games! Top shelf over Alex Nedeljkovic, and made it look easy! That must have felt cathartic.

-Joe Veleno very obviously cross-checks Adam Boqvist in the back IN FULL VIEW OF THE OFFICIAL, and there was no call. I thought we were cracking down on cross checks?

-Veleno follows that up by railing Elvis and leading to a shot that gets by him. At least the refs had enough sense to call that goal off.

-Lead didn’t last long after the Veleno thing: Adam Boqvist passes to absolutely no one and nothing, and lets Jakub Vrana score on a breakaway. I gotta give Gavi some credit, he was back there trying to diffuse the situation, but there wasn’t much he could do.

-Former Blue Jacket Sam Gagner scored because his man (Andrew Peeke) was too busy trying to kick the sh*t out of Adam Erne. Priorities, Andy, priorities.

-Silli claps right back, putting it top shelf just like Rosie did earlier, but that wasn’t the main thing: Dylan Larkin was punking out Bo over in the corner. The second big scrum in a minute span begins, and we find ourselves on a 4 on 3. This is… surprising.

-Who said Patrik Laine was one-dimensional? He can play D too! Patty diffuses a Tyler Bertuzzi breakaway very intelligently. PAY THAT MAN HIS MONEY!

-Rosie scored again! We want a hat trick, Jack, keep going!

-Elvis had a monster save. 2-on-1, Zach was full laying down to block a shot, and Elvis checks the entire Red Wings team into the Heartbreak Hotel. I love this man.

-Justin Danforth scores a few minutes later with a redirect at point blank. Seems like Ned has been off his game tonight.

-I think this is one of the few times this year that I can actually blame a goal on Elvis. He just watched that one blow by. Granted, he had a screen in his face, but that looked super soft. Oof.

-I LOOK AWAY TO WRITE THE NOTE ABOVE THIS ONE AND THE LEAD IS COMPLETELY GONE. What the f*ck, guys?

-Our contractually-obligated Once-Per-Game Jake Bean Defensive Miscue (tm) gives Oskar Sundqvist a breakaway, but The King shuts him down, and immediately starts screaming at Bean. THIS IS WHY I HAD YOU EXILED TO HELL (aka New Jersey) IN MY LAST ACGM, JOSH.

-The THIRD post-whistle scrum starts after Dylan Larkin tries to assassinate The King. In the end, we find ourselves on a power play.

-ROSIE COMPLETES THE HAT TRICK IN OVERTIME! LET’S GO! Talk about shattering a goal-less streak!
Apr. 11, 2022 at 8:56 a.m.
Anyone thinking that Vegas, Nashville and Dallas all make the playoffs and the surprise team to now miss is LA? Vegas gets third in the division and LA misses all together? Vegas is 2 points back with a game in hand neutral

I really wanted vegas to miss. Wouldn't mind watching Eichel in the playoffs though.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 8:57 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: PaulieWalnuts
Guys I have a question.

You can yes assuming the contract has already kicked in
capsfan2121 liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:00 a.m.
K so this years habs team reminds me a LOT of the 2015-16 Leafs.

Both teams needed front office changes including a DESPERATE need for a new coach, (hopefully St. Louis will be better than Babs), both teams have EXTREMELY promising prospects (nylander, marner, high draft picks)(Suzuki, Caufield, High draft pick, wright???), and both teams are built fairly similarly.

As much as I hate to say it, the future is bright in Montreal
capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
If a player was on pace for 30 goals in the shortened seasons (2019-20 and 2020-21) but didn't get 30 goals because... you know the seasons were shorter, would you count him as a 30-goal scorer? Especially if the said player was on pace for 30 goals in both seasons?
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69, csick and 3 others liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 9:59 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: SevenLeg
If a player was on pace for 30 goals in the shortened seasons (2019-20 and 2020-21) but didn't get 30 goals because... you know the seasons were shorter, would you count him as a 30-goal scorer? Especially if the said player was on pace for 30 goals in both seasons?

I'd say yes
SevenLeg, csick, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Apr. 11, 2022 at 10:00 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: SevenLeg

Yes
SevenLeg, csick, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll