SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY/VAN) - Lindholm for Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 2024 1st (VAN), 2024 4th (VAN)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 1 at 12:27 a.m.
It's hard to say whether Kuzmenko will rebound to his freshman year. But even so, two defensive prospects, a 2024 1st and a 4th in itself is a massive overpay for Lindholm. Lindholm is a top 6 player, sure, but worth a 1st, a 4th, and Brzustewicz who projects to be an NHL-caliber offensive defenseman?! For a forward who should be a 2nd and a 3rd or maybe a 1st round alone? Holy overpay Batman, the Flames are making out this one like bandits.
Feb. 1 at 12:38 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: TheAlien
This really isn't as big a deal as people think. Jurmo is basically nothing and Bruz might be legit but most people seem to think he's not as good as the points suggest

If I had to price this
1st
Bruz: 2nd
4th+Jurmo=3rd
Kuzmenko: 3rd to dump.

It’s not much different from the standard 1st+prospect trade.

Kuzmenkos jacked up shooting % last year has casual observers tricked tho
Feb. 1 at 1:00 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Love the fit for the Canucks, but this was a fantastic deal for the Flames. Kuzmenko will undoubtedly bounce back, and Brzustewicz will be a star. The draft picks are nice too.

Will Kuzmenko bounce back? His metrics are identical to last years. The only difference is he’s not shooting 27% again. I don’t see him ever getting anything close to that ever again
Feb. 1 at 1:01 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Love the fit for the Canucks, but this was a fantastic deal for the Flames. Kuzmenko will undoubtedly bounce back, and Brzustewicz will be a star. The draft picks are nice too.

Yep and this probably means Tanev is easier to move because they really needed that high-end RHD prospect in the pipeline to make him expendable.
RukaRadebe liked this.
Feb. 1 at 1:07 a.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: justinhollfan3
Brz and a first for a ufa center? not to mention kuzmenko? i dont even know lol this seems lopsided to me

Kuzmenko a cap dump
Feb. 1 at 1:28 a.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Neutral_Zone_Highlights
Has Kuzmenko played horrendously under Tocchet? Yes, he has both had stretches of horrendously bad play, and taken as a whole played worse under Tocchet than his previous coach. Your post of "achktually, he had a good stretch last season" does not negate the truth of the statement that he has played badly under Tocchet. But by all means, post the dictionary definitions of which words you think I used incorrectly which is totally not nitpicking when the substance of what I said, "He has played badly under Tocchet" is manifestly true.

Also, any impartial person will know that it's nitpicking to claim that being scratched 5 times in 38 games isn't "on a regular basis". He's commanding a large salary and should never be scratched at all, let alone time, after time, after time, after time, after time.

1 - You keep saying 38 games. The first time I figured it was a typo and let it slide. Now I have to ask: you do know the Canucks have played 48 games, right? And no, five times over four months is not fitting the definition of "regular basis". Regular basis means like weekly. Or bi-weekly. Routinely. Even with your typo/fib, it's not a common way to describe this amount of that time frame. And on top of all that, it's not regularly scheduled. It's not "okay he sits once monthly on the 13th". Ya know... regular basis? I'm not sure what you're missing here, bro.

2 - It's also cute how you refuse to answer the simple question of whether 18 goals in 36 games is "really bad".

Move the goalposts wherever you want, we're done here. This is boring. I'm not a remedial English teacher.
Feb. 1 at 1:35 a.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
1 - You keep saying 38 games. The first time I figured it was a typo and let it slide. Now I have to ask: you do know the Canucks have played 48 games, right? And no, five times over four months is not fitting the definition of "regular basis". Regular basis means like weekly. Or bi-weekly. Routinely. Even with your typo/fib, it's not a common way to describe this amount of that time frame. And on top of all that, it's not regularly scheduled. It's not "okay he sits once monthly on the 13th". Ya know... regular basis? I'm not sure what you're missing here, bro.

2 - It's also cute how you refuse to answer the simple question of whether 18 goals in 36 games is "really bad".

Move the goalposts wherever you want, we're done here. This is boring. I'm not a remedial English teacher.

You're being unbelievably pedantic. Also, he was a healthy scratch 5 times up to Jan 4th, which you would have known if you cared to read my post properly, which equates to 5 times in 38 games. It also equates to 5 times in 3 months, or almost every other week, which is pretty close to your own definition of "on a regular basis". Also, you're the one quibbling over dictionary definitions.

Whether he played well last season under Tocchet does not negate that he has played terribly under Tocchet. You are acting like this negates what I said when I clearly demonstrated that on either dimension, whether he played badly for a stretch or taken as a whole. You're just digging in your heels when you are clearly in the error. Very odd behavior.

What a very weird thing to harp on about for multiple posts now.
TheGxForum and Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 1 at 3:20 a.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
Hotter take:

This is still less value than the Horvat return

I don’t think this should be that hot of a take solely because of the spots of the 1st round picks

2023 NYI 1st > 2024 Canucks 1st
Raty = Brzustewicz (could even argue Raty had more value)
Beauvillier < Kuzmenko (not as much of a gap as the 1sts)

Jurmo + the conditional 4th add minimal value
majormoose007 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 5:23 a.m.
Lindholm was the best available center on the trade market. But hes not an above average number 1 center. Hes a good 2nd line center.

I would call it a CGY win, as he was expiring and not re-signing, BUT they got a 1st, high midlevel prospect in Brzu (who if available would get a 2nd round pick in a second), a meh prospect in Joni and Kuzmenko.

Kuz isnt my type of player, and while probably making 1.5-2mil too much, hes a top 6/9 scorer, and still young (27, just 2 yrs in NA) and quality who is closer to a 50 pt guy in the top 6 than a 30 pt guy on the third line. Is he the 70 pt guy of last year or the 40 pt guy of this year, probably in the middle, and just not a fit on a team who seems to have its chemistry just right in 23-24. I think hes a 50 pt guy

Kuz, even with his contract and faults is probably worth a 2nd/3rd rounder in trade, (if he was cheaper NYR could use a top 6 RW), so to me its a 1st, 2 2nds/a 3rd and a bit more for a good 2nd line center
Feb. 1 at 6:36 a.m.
Insane haul for a 2nd line center. If this is meant to be a shiny lure to help with signing Pettersson I understand the urgency but jesus! An established NHL player, a 1st and what is essentially three mid-round picks.
Feb. 1 at 6:41 a.m.
Le patriote
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
Can't wait to see the inflated Monahan trade proposals that are undoubtedly coming.

I'm on it :P
Anus_McLeod and Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 1 at 8:30 a.m.
Evans truther
I love how people downgrades the 1st after a trade (Most comments saying "It's only a late 1st who cares") but when you put a 1st rounder in an ACGM everyone's going wild.
Feb. 1 at 8:44 a.m.
sensonfire
Condition on the 4th round pick:

If Vancouver makes the 2024 WCF, Calgary receives a 3rd round pick for 2024 instead.

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/status/1752891036081234413
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: Hammerwise
Lindholm was the best available center on the trade market. But hes not an above average number 1 center. Hes a good 2nd line center.

I would call it a CGY win, as he was expiring and not re-signing, BUT they got a 1st, high midlevel prospect in Brzu (who if available would get a 2nd round pick in a second), a meh prospect in Joni and Kuzmenko.

Kuz isnt my type of player, and while probably making 1.5-2mil too much, hes a top 6/9 scorer, and still young (27, just 2 yrs in NA) and quality who is closer to a 50 pt guy in the top 6 than a 30 pt guy on the third line. Is he the 70 pt guy of last year or the 40 pt guy of this year, probably in the middle, and just not a fit on a team who seems to have its chemistry just right in 23-24. I think hes a 50 pt guy

Kuz, even with his contract and faults is probably worth a 2nd/3rd rounder in trade, (if he was cheaper NYR could use a top 6 RW), so to me its a 1st, 2 2nds/a 3rd and a bit more for a good 2nd line center

Good 2C is generous to Lindholm. The guy fell apart after Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk left he can't drive a line. Guy is in the Pavel Zacha/Coyle/Kyrou/Danault/either Strome brother tier of centers. I have no idea why teams are valuing him from 2 years ago when both his wings were top 5 positionally in the league.
Hammerwise liked this.
Feb. 1 at 8:57 a.m.
Edited Feb. 1 at 11:10 a.m.
Will Kuzmenko bounce back? His metrics are identical to last years. The only difference is he’s not shooting 27% again. I don’t see him ever getting anything close to that ever again

You keep bringing up the 27%, but he had a great season last year even without an inflated shooting percentage. Half his goals from last year and give him a normal shooting percentage of 13.5% and he still has 60 points and 30 even strength assists. This a good 27 year old player who has just run his course in whatever system he's in, he'll have positive trade value by next year's deadline if Calgary wants to flip him.
Hammerwise liked this.
Feb. 1 at 9:15 a.m.
Steve
Quoting: JuanDamienNebraska
BOOM SHAKALAKA

Say you’re a 90s kid without saying you’re a 90s kid!
Feb. 1 at 9:18 a.m.

100% agree with this and have said something similar recently to people who thought he'd bring back something positive in return, but Calgary is a decent landing place for him. They are going to be moving pieces this deadline, so they can say they brought in talent. From Kuzmenko's perspective, he will get plenty of ice time on a team that is less competitive that will probably give him more rope to play his game. If he rebounds into say a 20 goal scorer, he and Calgary will both be thrilled. Canucks are thrilled to have him off the books. Win-win-win
Feb. 1 at 9:25 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Decent deal for both IMO...

But not looking forward to the countless Sean Monahan trades that will take place as a result
Feb. 1 at 9:26 a.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
At first I picked flames but now I think canucks.
CSStrowbridge, Canucks123, PrisonBull and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 1 at 10:02 a.m.
Quoting: areax91
It's hard to say whether Kuzmenko will rebound to his freshman year. But even so, two defensive prospects, a 2024 1st and a 4th in itself is a massive overpay for Lindholm. Lindholm is a top 6 player, sure, but worth a 1st, a 4th, and Brzustewicz who projects to be an NHL-caliber offensive defenseman?! For a forward who should be a 2nd and a 3rd or maybe a 1st round alone? Holy overpay Batman, the Flames are making out this one like bandits.

It's not two defensive prospects.

Joni Jurmo is struggling in Liiga and likely won't get signed to an ELC. He almost certainly will never make it past the AHL.
Hunter Brzustewicz is on pace for 100 points in the OHL this year. Only 10 other defencemen have done that. ... Only 4 of those played more than 100 games in the NHL. Scouting just dropped and he's projected to be a 3rd-pair defencemen, not a star NHL player.

The 3rd only happens if the Canucks make it to the Conference Finals, which means the Canucks had a relatively good playoffs and they will be happy with the trade. Otherwise it's a 4th. Either way, the odds of them becoming an impact player in the NHL are slim.
It will be a late first in a shallow draft.

Andrei Kuzmenko's cap hit next year was going to hurt the chances of the Canucks signing Pettersson to a long-term deal.

It's a lot of pieces, but nothing critical for the Canucks. If the Flames get lucky, then two of those pieces will hit. If not, then they likely lost this trade.
Canucks123 and majormoose007 liked this.
Feb. 1 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: SadSensFan14
At first I picked flames but now I think canucks.

Same here. As soon as I saw the details, I thought to myself, "Ow. That's a lot of pieces." Then I looked into the pieces and there's nothing there that I'm upset the Canucks gave away.
Feb. 1 at 10:14 a.m.
Pete
Lindholm for Kuzmenko 2024 + 1st + $650,000. Is that not a bit little?
Feb. 1 at 10:26 a.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
It's not two defensive prospects.

Joni Jurmo is struggling in Liiga and likely won't get signed to an ELC. He almost certainly will never make it past the AHL.
Hunter Brzustewicz is on pace for 100 points in the OHL this year. Only 10 other defencemen have done that. ... Only 4 of those played more than 100 games in the NHL. Scouting just dropped and he's projected to be a 3rd-pair defencemen, not a star NHL player.

The 3rd only happens if the Canucks make it to the Conference Finals, which means the Canucks had a relatively good playoffs and they will be happy with the trade. Otherwise it's a 4th. Either way, the odds of them becoming an impact player in the NHL are slim.
It will be a late first in a shallow draft.

Andrei Kuzmenko's cap hit next year was going to hurt the chances of the Canucks signing Pettersson to a long-term deal.

It's a lot of pieces, but nothing critical for the Canucks. If the Flames get lucky, then two of those pieces will hit. If not, then they likely lost this trade.

Maybe, nothing critical now but then this is for 20 or so games of Lindholm, so if VAN doesn't go far into the playoffs, that 1st and Brzu is alot to lose
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 1 at 10:45 a.m.
Driedger Clan
CGY 100% won this trade for a rental. Only thing I'd switch is Jurmo for someone else
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 1 at 11:21 a.m.
VanFan12
I think this leans in favour of the Flames.

I think people are really underselling Kuzmenko here.

If Kuzmenko returns to form this is an easy win for the Flames. If Brz turns into a player this is an easy win for the Falmes. If they mine a good prospect with the first this a win for the Flames.

If the Canucks make some noise with Lindholm they don't care about all that, and as a fan I'm still excited for the trade - but value wise I think Calgary won here.
Andy_Dick liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit