SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(PIT/MTL/SJS) - Granlund, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith, Légaré, 2024 1st (PIT), 2025 2nd (PIT) for Pitlick, Hoffman for Karlsson, Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd (SJS)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Pens and Habs win this trade, while SJ is the only loser. Sharks fans i just dont get it. The only member of the current organization that won this trade is the owners. They save a lot of their money while sharks fans get to suffer through another pointless season. SJ can keep rebuilding till the end of time and outside of the 2016 cup run where yall got SMOKED (by the Pens ironically no less), your organization would have accomplished nothing. So congrats sharks fans yall win top 5 picks for the next 5 years as you continue to beg and plead to be relevant again. Habs all i gotta say is good work, see you during the season.
vmark liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: zbrach
Unreal trade all the way around. Pittsburgh sheds some bad contracts and picks up Karlsson without giving up any major assets. Clear win for PIT right now.

The big cost for Pittsburgh is having karlsson at 10 million for years 3 and 4
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Montreal, San Jose and then Pittsburgh- in order of who 'won'

If Petry can be a good top4 dman again- this is an even bigger win. The cost is reasonable, and they could use another veteran on defense. While I dont think the Habs solved any major issues with their roster- they lost nothing they wanted to keep and gained assets that should facilitate further moves to improve their future.

San Jose while not getting fair value for a top dman- his skills were wasted on that team, and they get to truly rebuild even earlier without that anchor of a contract. Hoffman and Rutta wont fetch much if they try to flip them at the TDL, but their cap issues end much sooner with this deal.

Pittsburgh replaces Petry with Karlsson- a great move on paper, but was another offensive dman what they really needed? I dont see this as a great fit (but should be entertaining to watch- if he stays healthy). A big swing for the fences, but I dont see the Pens as true contenders for the cup, and their window is closing fast. This delays the inevitable rebuild in Pitt.
drambui liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:41 p.m.
I think the big losers are sharks fans who let silly analysts convince them that Karlsson was going to have a tonne of value despite his contract and age.

The win for San Jose is getting out of 87% karlsson's contract for 4 years. And instead of retaining like 5 mil they retained 1.5 mil and took back some bad contracts who can still play and likely be flipped for some value at tdls with retention. The win for them there is they get some cap room back next year (Hoffman) and more in years 3 and 4 (ruuta and Granlund). So they get the cap when they need it.

Dubas move was to dump bad contracts instead of getting heavier retention which kinda helps now and next year (when he got out of bad cap) and less in years 3 and 4 when he has Karlsson at 10 million and likely he has declined. ie he bought himself more flexibility when he wants to compete in the end of Crosby/Malkin/Letang era in exchange for more issues in the future. Sharks accepted they'll stink this and next year and got out of the majority of Karlsson in years 3 and 4
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
The more I think about this trade, the worse it looks for San Jose. They took on three bad contracts and their total cap hit went UP this year. They are holding onto $6 million in cap space over the next four years. And what did they get? ... A top ten protected 1st round pick. That's awful. You should be able to get that for taking on $6 million in cap hit.
poeticentropy, sensonfire, vmark and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP

I which since he was ONLY retained on once we can retain him at 50% and trading EK at 5 million as long as he doesnt implode will net a solid return and cluld net a better return than what SJ got on him.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
Hockey/Caps fan
Tough one here, on the surface, at this point in the time spectrum, each team did okay.
Even if Vlasic was moved (instead of Karlsson) Pitt would still fair well, but it would look better for SJ ;-)
Perhaps Pit makes out the best here in 1) getting their man and 2) shedding cap without selling the farm(team).
I just wonder if there will be enough ice time to split between Letang & Karlsson, as both of them thrive on ice-time...
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: Aebexz
Montreal had a lot of leverage considering San José and Pittsburgh couldn’t make the trade alone. Petry needed to leave and he had a 15 team NMC. Regarding Erik Karlsson, the Penguins traded for a ppg defenseman not a 100+ defenseman. Regression is to be expected but he’s been given way better teammates and he’s been able to stay healthy for yet another season. I can see him producing 80+ this season and help them reach playoffs

The last time Karlsson was the equivalent of an 80+ point defenseman before last year was 2015/2016

He's cracked 80 points twice in his entire career: last year and 2015/2016. Now if you just say 70+ you can add 3 more seasons.
Aebexz liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
The more I think about this trade, the worse it looks for San Jose. They took on three bad contracts and their total cap hit went UP this year. They are holding onto $6 million in cap space over the next four years. And what did they get? ... A top ten protected 1st round pick. That's awful. You should be able to get that for taking on $6 million in cap hit.

They got out of 87% or his contract in years 3 and 4. That was the big success from their perspective I suspect.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Yup. No clue what he's galaxy braining, again. Sharks fans for months were asking for multiple 1sts yet this is win?!? Ok yeah sure. The easy play was rentaining max especially with only 1 retention spot left now. This is as confusing as Poile using a retention spot long term for less than 250k on Ekholm. Sit or get off the pot. Grier didnt show much creativity here. This is simply a white flag by the Sharks.

Saying that Sharks fans didn't understand the market for Karlsson isn't a good counterpoint.

All reports for the last year and a half have pointed to there being very little market for Erik Karlsson due to his injury history and NMC. His play this year gave San Jose an out, but it was a very limited one. There was a very limited market for him. Grier did a good job to maximize his leverage in that limited market.

I guarantee you that within a week once all the talking heads like Friedman spill what they know, we will find out that there were almost no teams willing to take Karlsson without heavy retention and almost no teams willing to give up 1st round picks.

There is a reasonable chance that whatever level of retention Grier was willing to do may have been dictated by ownership. There is also no guarantee that increasing the retention would have increased the market for Karlsson by an amount that would justify retaining half. I would guess that it wouldn't do a lot to move the market. Pittsburgh got Karlsson at 10M, and San Jose also had to facilitate Pittsburgh dumping roughly 11 million in cap over the next 2 years. That's a lot of cap consideration going to Pittsburgh, which says that short term cap wasn't the only issue with Karlsson. Even at half retained, he's still a near 6M player for the next 4 years. Teams were clearly unwilling to take on the risk of his term given his level of play prior to this season. There was nothing San Jose could do about the term.
Aebexz, drambui and Jrroisman liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t

They are the perfect trade spot because with how old their core is, this is hardly going to be a worry.

If Karlsson can continue to play like a top pairing defenseman for the next 2 seasons, Pittsburgh could possibly flip Karlsson with retention when he is down to 1-2 years remaining. If he proves himself that way, it will help alleviate any concerns about his long term play, and obviously 1-2 years is a lot less term than 4 years. I can already see the thread, where Pittsburgh gets a late 1st++ for Karlsson, and people dunk on San Jose for Pittsburgh getting more for him, while completely ignoring the context of why San Jose got what they did.
BCAPP, Aebexz, drambui and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Are you sure? He's averaged barely more than 30 points three out of the past four seasons. Even if you include the past seasons, he's only managed an average of 50 points since he signed this massive contract.

His points per games are 10th among defenseman last 4 seasons. By that metric he is good
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: LFG
I which since he was ONLY retained on once we can retain him at 50% and trading EK at 5 million as long as he doesnt implode will net a solid return and cluld net a better return than what SJ got on him.

That is theoretically possible even probable on NHL 2024 by ea. In the real world he has a full NMC and seems much less likely but I do see it.

I don't Grier did badly.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: Newgod77
His points per games are 10th among defenseman last 4 seasons. By that metric he is good

Mostly propped by his big season.
CD282 and CSStrowbridge liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
Jay27
Kent Hughes take a bow👏👏👏
couldnt afford 2nd t

It is cap in/cap out because they took on 3 roster players and only moved one out. You have to credit them for between 775k-1.15M for each of Hoffman and Rutta because they will take up roster spots and cause incidental transactions where players will be sent down and San Jose will be credited with cap space. Alternatively, if either of the two players are assigned to the AHL they also get that cap space.

Then they gain a small amount of cap space next year (assuming no buyouts).

It's really years 3 and 4 where they benefit cap wise. They gain 9M+ each season (10M out, minus the roughly 1M cost to fill a roster spot).
CSStrowbridge liked this.
This is obviously not on Dubas, but rather on Hextall, but all the same: the two Petry trades are, taken together, a massive loss for Pittsburgh. Montreal got assets for Petry (+ a guy that Pittsburgh opted not to re-sign), then got paid to take him back with partial salary retention so that they can (probably) trade him again for more assets.
corson and Tintin liked this.
The last time Karlsson was the equivalent of an 80+ point defenseman before last year was 2015/2016

He's cracked 80 points twice in his entire career: last year and 2015/2016. Now if you just say 70+ you can add 3 more seasons.

Indeed but the gap between the 80 point season and last year is injury riddled Erik Karlsson. This past season was his first fully healthy season since his last ppg season. He’s also joining the best team of his career. Ottawa was nowhere near playoffs without him and whilst his first year San José team was good, I do think this team is slightly better
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
Mostly propped by his big season.

No doubt. But that one season was last season. Tough to say he’s a bad or average player after winning a Norris There is no question about the players going out.
BCAPP liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
Wow SJ loss depending on what they do with the cap space, but they're going to be rebuilding
PIT AND MTL win

Best part of this trade is Hoffman and Karlsson being involved in the same trade with their prior drama
Aug. 6, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
All this is true, but you are missing out on the no 1 reason to make this trade. SJ saving a lot of money.

Everybody said they would have to eat 25%+ to trade Karlsson away and were able to do it for half of that dead money.

You're right but I still wish SJ retained more to max return on picks
Aug. 6, 2023 at 3:05 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Fair deal, everyone got what they wanted.
drambui and Jrroisman liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
I just can't make sense of this trade for the Pens or the Sharks. Beautiful job by Hughes though. I understand that Rutta, Hoffman and, in an optimistic view Granlund too, are day trading assets they can turn into picks later on, but that's relying on them staying healthy and producing for them to attract buyers. Seems like a very weak return. On the Pens side, this is of course beautiful job by Dubas paying basically nothing to acquire a superstar, but with the team's age structure it is basically Stanley Cup next season or bust. Again, beautifully handled by Montreal for their part.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 3:12 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Leafsfan98
No more Nylander for Karlsson trades

Also no more Hoffman to Chicago trades
Aug. 6, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I'd honestly say the canadiens win this trade.
CSStrowbridge liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit