SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vancouver Canucks signed Elias Pettersson (8 Years / $11,600,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 2 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: TheFastAndTheFleuryous
Not to make this all about the Leafs, but what’s the argument for Nylander’s deal now?

Don't worry. No one will judge you for making it about the Leafs.
PrisonBull and Missouri liked this.
Mar. 2 at 11:09 a.m.
and proud of it
Great signing for Canucks! Kept him under $12 and have him locked up for good.
Mar. 2 at 11:13 a.m.
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
Kyle Dubas would have given him $15M

And Brad Treliving would have traded him for 2 older players then signed those players to extensions until they're 38
NARC311, CSStrowbridge, A_Habs_fan and 6 others liked this.
Mar. 2 at 11:14 a.m.
Moral of the story: if you have a Swedish superstar, leak that you're considering trading him to a team full of Finns and he'll run to the negotiating table awesome face
Tmclean64, Huge_Caniac_Abe_Lincoln, Leafsfan98 and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 2 at 11:15 a.m.
The Canucks have just over $27 million to sign the rest of their NHL UFA / RFAs.
Those 10 players cost $28.45 million this year. Some will get raises (Hronek); others will get pay cuts (Myers); some will be lost to free agency (Lindholm).
However, for the first time in years, the Canucks are not going to be in cap hell starting the off season.
vmark and PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 11:20 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Not to make this all about the Leafs, but what’s the argument for Nylander’s deal now?

"Not to make this all about the Leafs"

Makes this about the Leafs.
PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 11:23 a.m.
To think... The Leafs just gave Nylander $100K/year less. tears of joy
Mar. 2 at 11:29 a.m.
Nah.
He held out that long…for this?

VAN win.
PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 11:39 a.m.
Now time to lock up the other Elias Petterson for 8 more seasons.
Mar. 2 at 11:47 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Good signing for Pettersson, great signing for the Canucks, good signing for CapFriendly because now we won't see any more "imaginative" Pettersson-to-here-there-and-everywhere trade proposals.
Mar. 2 at 11:55 a.m.
45 for Norris.
Great deal for both sides. Well deserved by Pettersson.
OldNYIfan and PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 12:14 p.m.
They bought it
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Good signing for Pettersson, great signing for the Canucks, good signing for CapFriendly because now we won't see any more "imaginative" Pettersson-to-here-there-and-everywhere trade proposals.

exactly what i was gonna say. good for EP, great for canucks and fantastic for canucks fans. he’s underrated imo
OldNYIfan and PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 12:25 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Mar. 2 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: Colonel_Green
The moral of the story is that bullying works.

A very good signing; I still don't understand why Canucks management felt the need to play urgent hardball here, though.

Pettersson's position was to postpone any contract talks until next summer. Allvin was fine with it until he realized they are contenders now.

The team needs to know right away what will be their cap situation next year to add players with term at the next TDL. Thus the bullying:

1) They acquired Lindholm, who shows the will of the team to go all in, please pettey as a fellow swedish teammate and act as a replacement threat if a plan B is needed, plus ;
2) leaked rumors of a trade to Carolina to force him back to the negociation table.

And it worked since he's now resigned, for max term, under $12M and it's not summer yet.

Genius 4D chess moves
CSStrowbridge, vmark and PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 12:45 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Pretty happy here. If he asked for 12+, the. I would’ve just dealt him. Like this deal a lot, W for Allvin.
Mar. 2 at 12:58 p.m.
Under 12 mil, what a layup for Vancouver
PrisonBull and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 2 at 1:14 p.m.
SkateOrDie
I think this is a pretty average ava for his production level.
I don't see it as a win for either. It's simply the range that should have been expected.
Pasta got roughly the same thing last year with Petty getting a little bump because he plays C.
Mar. 2 at 1:18 p.m.
Good for Petey. Now he can afford a 3 bed 2 bath 2,000 sqft house in Vancouver! tears of joy
vmark, A_Habs_fan and IconicHawk liked this.
Mar. 2 at 1:44 p.m.
IG vincemark78
They have a ton of signings to complete before FA starts, but this could have been the most important one. I see how the game is going now... this cap # still seems a bit high to me.. but w/e he's good enough to command top $ and this is what it looks like ATM.

Teams need at least 2 HoF caliber guys up top to compete for the Cup and now they have their 2 locked in for 5+ years with Quinn for 3 more at least.

Do they still make a trade for Jake? We know they want him... but does he want to go to VAN long term? I just hope if we make that trade Dubas doesn't think getting Miky back is a good enough return for a current player... we would have to get Boeser and that just seems unrealistic for them to want to do he's a big part of their room...

1st, Lekkerimaki, Miky... not sure I see a trade for Jake fitting here, especially if Kyle is fielding offers from several teams, including Vegas and Edm

And then what does Jake # in van look like? I don't see it, not after they went and got Lindy already.
Mar. 2 at 2:52 p.m.
I still REALLY think they should've capitalized on the questions regarding his contract status and traded the other Elias Pettersson for a haul from a team thinking they were getting this one.
PrisonBull, Luguber and drambui liked this.
Mar. 2 at 3:00 p.m.
MajorMoose
Rutherford has balls of steel. Thrilled we corrected the mistake made in 2021 and locked him up. Now we don't have to see anymore ridiculous mock trades.
PrisonBull and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 2 at 3:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

As soon as you put the leafs in the convo you just made it all about them now

Insert Pickard facepalm
PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 3:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: toque
And Brad Treliving would have traded him for 2 older players then signed those players to extensions until they're 38

I mean lets be full on honest

If Huberdeau was still doing what he was doing in FLA and Weegar continued this performance for 4-5 years it would be fine. Huberdeau's seismic drop which still is hard to pinpoint is the reason it looks bad along with FLA's Cinderella run

Cause Weegar has been one of the better defenders this year and has 15 goals rn. Hes been basically the reason its not been a seismic mistake. If Huberdeau was still 80+ point guy and Weegar was doing his thing nobody would be complaining and some would argue fair trade
Mar. 2 at 3:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: CameronSquires
Solid contract

Looks like the Leafs again paid a premium to sign their own.....in this case Nylander at 11.5m
PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 3:37 p.m.
Wow. This contact is a steal… I’d definitely take Petterson over Nylander. Surprised he signed an 8 year deal after acting like he wasn’t sure he wanted to sign.
PrisonBull liked this.
Mar. 2 at 3:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: TheAlien
3 years younger, better defensively, and being a center outweighs 7 points. Oh and Petey had the better offensive year last year too

He asked; "what's the argument for Nylander" and I responded...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit