The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 9, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
It's less than Horvat's package but not by much, Fair
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
What in tarnation
Rags takes the W here, but given the circumstances with Tarasenko I think STL did maximize the return they could get.

Still funny that Rangers ended up paying less for Tarasenko than Leafs paid for Nick Foligno.
GM69, BigBallsBriere, capfriendlyaccount and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.
Hawks Fan
There goes Kane to the Rangers…
jpsnow13 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
GM
I think I speak for everyone when I say thank god for the end of the Kane to NYR for Laffy, Kakko, Chytil and both first rounders.
jpsnow13 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:05 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
The Rangers got:

A 2nd that had some chance of turning into a 1st

A 3rd that had very little chance of turning into a 1st.

for Mats Zuccarello

The Blues got:

Sammy Blais

A prospect

A guaranteed 1st round pick in a deep draft

A 4th round pick with a very good chance of turning into a 3rd round pick

for Vladimir Tarasenko and Niko Mikkola

Blais and Mikkola cancel each other out.

So, it's a prospect, a guaranteed 1st and likely a 3rd for Tarasenko.

The more I look at these two trades, the more I feel this isn't fair for the Rangers.

The St. Louis Blues win the trade.

I think some of the difference in the returns is that the blues are retaining 50% of a 7.5m cap and NYR only retained about 1m on Zucc, and we're currently in a situation where nearly every team is in a cap squeeze.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
But I was told Tarasenko was worth multiple firsts and top prospects. HAHAHA good deal from NYR.
KingLundqvist30 and CD282 liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I like this deal for us. I have a feeling Tarasenko will be getting a point per game or more.
KingLundqvist30 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: JackForHart
I like it for the rangers guess meier is a devil

Or a Hurricane
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
Majors and minors
Edited Feb. 10, 2023 at 1:57 a.m.
.... Now its a little more clear. I wondered why the entry read as it did. A first round pick when your ex-player wasn't going to re-sign with your squad anyways. St Louis is getting younger and building. Sobeit.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Bruins are going to empty the cabinet for Meier
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Removing all the noise from the trade, it's basically a late 1st+(3rd or 4th) for Tarasenko and a #6-7 type D. The Rangers have to give up the lower pick of the two they own, which are their own pick and the pick they acquired from Dallas for Nils Lundkvist. Given that Dallas is comfortably first in their division, the pick the Rangers give up for Tarasenko is likely to be one of the final picks of the first round.

St.Louis did well to get a 1st here, even a late one. Tarasenko is not going to be the best forward available at the deadline. He isn't the player he was 5 or so years ago. The only forward to get a non-conditional first last year was Giroux, who at the time was playing better than Tarasenko is now. Because of the salary cap, there are only going to be so many possible landing spots. I suspect we will see some top rentals go for less than this. In the case of St.Louis, I do not think they end up with a return as good as this for O'Reilly.

It makes sense for the Rangers to get in early given they are fighting for a playoff spot. They likely could have gotten help closer to the deadline at a lower price, but by getting in early they improve their team now and put themselves in a better position to clinch a playoff spot.

Given the first is late, and the Rangers paid a premium to get a rental early, I would say this is fair value. In terms of leverage, I would say St.Louis wins the trade, because if the Rangers didn't acquire Tarasenko, I think there is a reasonable chance that St.Louis would not have attracted a 1st round pick in return for him.
sensonfire, KingLundqvist30, Jrroisman and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: yikes
Bruins are going to empty the cabinet for Meier

From what I've read on here, their first and Lysell are likely off the table. Boston shouldn't be making too many moves anyway, not like there are any glaring holes in their game.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
mokumboi
This poll is ****ing hilarious. Like two years of hordes swearing to me that Tarasenko wasn't worth a 23 1st, he's not getting a 23 1st, I'm a stupid homer for dreaming he'll get a 23 1st, he's cooked, he's toast, he's brittle, he's overrated, forget about the damn 23 1st already, ya dummy!!

Fast forward to present day: Tarasenko gets a 23 1st+ = The Rangers fleeced the Blues!!!! Dumb dumb Blues, trading away that scoring star for just a 23 1st+!!!

Glorious.
OldNYIfan, habitantlecolon, ColonelX and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
No regretzkys
I voted fair deal as Tarasenko's value is low right now, but the Blues got their 1st rounder. They'll probably get another one too

Rangers definitely have higher upside in this deal if Tarasenko can return to his former self
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
couldnt afford 2nd t
I am surprised to see the amount of people who think the Rangers won this trade.

The deadline is going to be a bloodbath for anybody selling due to the cap. St.Louis did extremely well to get a 1st (even a late one) for a player whose play has been up and down, when there will be other better forwards available at the deadline, and one major buyer already dropped out when the Islanders acquired Horvat.

I think in a month from now, it is going to be evident that both St.Louis and Vancouver did well to move their rentals as early as possible and not get caught holding the bag.
sensonfire, OldNYIfan and Tintin liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
mokumboi
A 23 1st, Blais and Skinner for Vova max retained.
A 3rd for Mikkola.

About what I predicted and asked for, though I would have preferred Robertson or Sykora as the prospect. A solid deal on both ends, especially if the Blues can snag someone like Reinbacher, Honzek or Price with the pick.
OldNYIfan and sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: justaBoss
Rags takes the W here, but given the circumstances with Tarasenko I think STL did maximize the return they could get.

Still funny that Rangers ended up paying less for Tarasenko than Leafs paid for Nick Foligno.

But also more than they got for Buch.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:32 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Ritzy
From what I've read on here, their first and Lysell are likely off the table. Boston shouldn't be making too many moves anyway, not like there are any glaring holes in their game.

Devils would either be brilliant or too bullish to bite on Meier (time would only tell), but Rangers get deep here. Devils would need to decide if they think they can beat them, Torontos “flip” idea is insane (not in a complete negative way) but I don’t think Dubas will pull the trigger. Vegas would have to go broke, so would Boston, Winnipeg can either go all in (which I think they should) - but San Jose California to Winnipeg is a hard sell for 8 years.

It’s down to Vegas or Boston I’d say - and if you’re Boston; do you value a Cinderella run for the cup with everlasting Bergeron and the boys? Hell even NYR can still afford Meier.

Idk, Lysell and a first seem to me; like stupid keeps if you can win a cup. It’s worth it if they think Meier gives them two first lines. Right now Rangers are worth reevaluating here, this move for any cup contender should worry you a little. They didn’t really lose any assets - they can load up more.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:32 p.m.
"The 2023 1st round pick will be the later of the NYR 2023 1st and the DAL 2021 1st" makes this a NYR win IMO.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
Quoting: CoraStorm
.... I don't understand ... why are the Blues referencing the '21 Dallas first round pick? W Johnston? I reserve my judgement as to the fairness of the trade until later because this may be a win for STL.

Typo. Should read "2023".
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
Jones is Underpaid
Rangers W IMO
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
GoJetsGo
Quoting: sensonfire
The Rangers got:

A 2nd that had some chance of turning into a 1st

A 3rd that had very little chance of turning into a 1st.

for Mats Zuccarello

The Blues got:

Sammy Blais

A prospect

A guaranteed 1st round pick in a deep draft

A 4th round pick with a very good chance of turning into a 3rd round pick

for Vladimir Tarasenko and Niko Mikkola

Blais and Mikkola cancel each other out.

So, it's a prospect, a guaranteed 1st and likely a 3rd for Tarasenko.

The more I look at these two trades, the more I feel this isn't fair for the Rangers.

The St. Louis Blues win the trade.

The more I look at these two trades, the more I feel the first one wasn't fair for the Rangers.
sensonfire liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
wait lmao blais is back in STL
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: capfriendlyaccount
The more I look at these two trades, the more I feel the first one wasn't fair for the Rangers.

The Buchnevich trade wasn't fair for the Rangers either.

It seems to be a recurring theme that when a GM loses one trade, he is likely to lose others as well.

Given Tarasenko's cap hit and his NTC as well as the Zuccarello/Buchnevich trades, I think the Blues did really well here against the Rangers.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Feb. 9, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
To me this is a fair deal. Per Emily Kaplan, once the NYR found out the price tag of Meier and Kaner, they switched routes and decided to go with Tarasenko. a 1st and 4th is more than I thought Tarasenko was going to get due to his pretty terrible injury history and his Full NTC. Good assets for STL to have. Rangers were willing to gamble on the injury history and their 3rd choice.

At least we can stop talking about this mythical Kane Hip thingy that came out of nowhere. Missing 3 games in 8 seasons is nothing compared to what Tarasenko's been though.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit