SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(WPG/LAK) - Dubois for Iafallo, Kupari, Vilardi, 2024 2nd (MTL)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
They always say the team that got the best player always wins the trade, but I’m not 100% convinced that LA got the best player here
OldNYIfan and Tintin liked this.
I will never understand the whole Pierre Luc Dubois thing. Great player, bit is je really the guy you break the bank for?
OldNYIfan and Tintin liked this.
couldnt afford 2nd t
I don't know why the Kings made this trade when everybody knows Montreal is going to get him next year for free.
Joe_La_Garnotte liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
Centres can obviously play wing and all that, but what exactly is the long-term development plan for Byfield at this point?

Anyway, good trade for Winnipeg given their circumstances.

If Dubois plays to his potential this could be good for the Kings as well; and we'll finally put to the test the question of whether he is a guy with a bad attitude or a guy who was just constantly ending up on teams it was reasonable to want out of.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:06 p.m.
Congrats LA, you just gave up a Huge Package for the Hockey Version of Antonio Brown
GaiusMarius, OldNYIfan, Boltsradynasty and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
Quoting: Devil
Breaking News: PLD has requested a trade out of LA per Elliotte Friedman

Only wants to play in Montreal
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
I'd say Winnipeg won to fair trade. They managed to get a lot, likely more than LA should have traded. But similar to NJD in the Meier deal, LA got who they wanted without trading their biggest pieces. So in a sense a fair trade. I do quite like Vilardi, who took longer to take the next step than people expected. I think he'll be the one who truly determines in the long run who wins this trade. If he takes another step, then likely WPG wins, if not its likely fair. Fun trade
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:12 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Reminds me of last year when everyone thought FLA got robbed..... PLD could be exactly what LA needed but idk right now this looks bad. Trying to be optimistic bc of last year but damn this looks bad.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jets fleeced the Kings.
OldNYIfan and weirfanno1 liked this.
couldnt afford 2nd t
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I will never understand the whole Pierre Luc Dubois thing. Great player, bit is je really the guy you break the bank for?

Big, skilled, fast. Which is an impossible combo to find outside of getting lucky and drafting it.

Not the same level of producer or exactly the same type of player as Matthew Tkachuk, but it's the same sentiment. There is a different type of player teams need to win in the playoffs. What is more surprising about Dubois is that Columbus wasn't able to find a deal like this for him the first time around.

While this is a fantastic return for Winnipeg, it's not like this really hurts the Kings. A future 2nd and Kupari aren't big pieces to upgrade Vilardi to Dubois. Kupari is no longer exempt from waivers and didn't exactly have a big role on the Kings. Even if Vilardi ends up the better player in a few years as a blue chip prospect who took some time to develop (like a lot of bigger players do), the Kings get cost certainty so to speak. They know what they are getting with Dubois, he's been the player he is now for many seasons. Vilardi has had one big season in the NHL and is now an arbitration eligible RFA.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
I think this the first ever WIN/WIN/WIN deal for everyone involved frankly.

WPG gets a very respectable haul for a player they had less than ideal leverage with.
LAK get the best player in the deal hands down, whose also still young.
MTL gains nothing but also loses nothing. Had they offered the equivalent package that would have got it done, I think everyone would have agreed it would have been too much for a rebuilding MTL to do.

As much as it would have been nice for my Habs to get PLD for a song because of his trade demands out WPG, I'm actually quite glad this ended up the way it did. WPG should have never been shafted out of getting a good return for a good player.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: VastBluepuppy424
Congrats LA, you just gave up a Huge Package for the Hockey Version of Antonio Brown

Antonio Brown was a top 5 NFL player.... the best at his position 100% for a solid duration of time. Calling PLD AB is insane if you really think about how good AB was
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
Win for Winnipeg
L for the LA Kings

That just seems like a lot for someone who wanted to go MTL... We've seen PLD being really unmotivated. Remember that shift where he just skated around? Idk. Maybe I'm wrong, but PLD has some issues that would scare me if I was a GM... Seems a bit much to give up.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:17 p.m.
Go leafs go
I don’t understand why everyone is saying “big L for the kings”. PLD is still a solid number 2, maybe borderline number 1 C in the right situation. LA isn’t giving up anything crazy.

That said Winnipeg is doing well here if their plan was to just retool. Fair trade overall
Capitalfail67 liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:18 p.m.
Gives me Tkachuk vibes. Winnipeg (Calgary in his case) had little leverage and turned it into a decent return. But let’s not forget who the best player in the deal is (PLD or Tkachuk). While fans will greatly celebrate that Winnipeg won this deal, it seems that way mostly because the expected return was less. In reality, it’s a mostly fair deal that we’ll only know in time how it turns out
Joe_La_Garnotte liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
sensonfire
The Kings had no idea how much leverage they had over the Jets.

If they did, they would have offered only Kupari and the 2nd for Dubois.

The fact that the Jets got either Iafallo or Vilardi as well, let alone both, is criminal.

This is the third time in three weeks that Kings GM Rob Blake has gotten fleeced.

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff should be congratulated for making a very difficult trade that he shouldn't have won.

The Winnipeg Jets win the trade.
poeticentropy and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: F50marco
I think this the first ever WIN/WIN/WIN deal for everyone involved frankly.

WPG gets a very respectable haul for a player they had less than ideal leverage with.
LAK get the best player in the deal hands down, whose also still young.
MTL gains nothing but also loses nothing. Had they offered the equivalent package that would have got it done, I think everyone would have agreed it would have been too much for a rebuilding MTL to do.

As much as it would have been nice for my Habs to get PLD for a song because of his trade demands out WPG, I'm actually quite glad this ended up the way it did. WPG should have never been shafted out of getting a good return for a good player.

SO now that Habs got Newhook... do you think they trade back to 7oa/8oa and just get whatever assets are offered to them.... with the agreement that whatever team moves up selects Michkov? lets assume its at least a top 50 pick + a prospect. Habs will likely be able to draft one of Reinbacker Leonard or Dvorsky... all players they should be thrilled to draft.

example 8oa + 40oa + Chesley
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:20 p.m.
next year, newhook gets less than 10 point less than dubois, you heard it here first!
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:22 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: Saskleaf
I don’t understand why everyone is saying “big L for the kings”. PLD is still a solid number 2, maybe borderline number 1 C in the right situation. LA isn’t giving up anything crazy.

That said Winnipeg is doing well here if their plan was to just retool. Fair trade overall

same people said FLA lost the trade last year... people love to make dramatic opinions of the results of things. I remember when Wilson signed his current deal folks claimedi t was the worst signing and Capitals would immediately regret it.. look at the comment section.. i do sometimes
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: drambui
next year, newhook gets less than 10 point less than dubois, you heard it here first!

only if PLD gets hurt 10 games into the season ****
drambui and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
SO now that Habs got Newhook... do you think they trade back to 7oa/8oa and just get whatever assets are offered to them.... with the agreement that whatever team moves up selects Michkov? lets assume its at least a top 50 pick + a prospect. Habs will likely be able to draft one of Reinbacker Leonard or Dvorsky... all players they should be thrilled to draft.

example 8oa + 40oa + Chesley

IMHO, I think the Habs are settled on Ryan Leonard so if they can move back in the draft and still get him, then by all means. Im slightly iffy Arizone doesn't take him though and PHI will absolutely take him if Michkov is off the board so really tough to know.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: Capitalfail67
only if PLD gets hurt 10 games into the season ****

>: )
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Oh look, another Quebecers who goes public about playing in MTL to increase his negociation power to break the bank somewhere else.

Habs fans were right about how the team wouldn't overpay for him. But we were foolish to believe he would do a 1 year deal and sign in MTL as a UFA....

Mange de la m@rde Dubois!
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Quoting: F50marco
IMHO, I think the Habs are settled on Ryan Leonard so if they can move back in the draft and still get him, then by all means. Im slightly iffy Arizone doesn't take him though and PHI will absolutely take him if Michkov is off the board so really tough to know.

i assume AZ takes Dvorsky or Reinbacker. Heard hes the player the have talked to the most (Dvorsky). Philly i agree wtill 100% take Leonard w their pick but Reinbacker make the most sense for Habs.
Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:39 p.m.
torontos finest
dubois sucks. fake tough guy whose cried his way out off of two teams. la really bent over backwards to bring him in which is just amazing given the trend of acgms.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit