Quoting: NHLfan10506
Barry Melrose, TBL Coach (2008) -- 144 days
Aaron Rodgers QB Jets (2023) -- 141 days
Mike Babcock, CBJ Coach (2023) -- 78 days

Aaron Rodgers really only lasted 4 seconds
Sep. 17, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Go leafs go
Here’s my take on the Babs thing.

We still don’t know all the details yet so we don’t know for sure exactly how it went down. If this was a different coach with a different reputation I’d say wait until we know more about what happened (I mean we got this info first from a random podcast lol). But since this is Backock, who has a long history of these kinds of things (and now he’s already resigned), I think it’s safe to say he did what he was accused of doing. I don’t feel sorry for him at all. He never should have been hired to begin with.
edeangel84, BigBallsBriere, A_Habs_fan and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Frank Seravalli -

Sources say #CBJ and Mike Babcock are indeed parting ways.

Investigation by #NHLPA left no path for Babcock to continue as coach. Much of last 24-48 hours was spent negotiating his exit.

Strong message sent: Treat all players with respect, as you would in any proper workplace.

Well that went even worse than I expected and that’s saying something because I expected a disaster.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
As a coach he should be allowed to motivate his players (especially the young guys) to be training and improving instead of partying

He is (or was) allowed to do that...
darthsummer liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 6:08 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
5810fd95c0a6f358a16c5a1f70805b9e.jpg
IconicHawk liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 7:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Barry Melrose, TBL Coach (2008) -- 144 days
Aaron Rodgers QB Jets (2023) -- 141 days
Mike Babcock, CBJ Coach (2023) -- 78 days

Was gonna say is Babcock the fastest NHL HC to be let go

Now I know lul
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 11:01 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: Db1899
Babcock knew what he was doing . Young Guys like Fantilli, Johnston, sillinger, boqvist likely had pictures of them partying/drinking and he knew it would make them feel uncomfortable

Now coaches aren’t allowed to make players uncomfortable in any way? Even by just sharing pictures that are already likely strewn across social media?

Regardless, young player or vet, right or wrong, as a professional you take this issue to management if you’re uncomfortable with addressing Babcock directly. Texting a goon who hosts a podcast that focuses on filth more than hockey is subversive to the entire team.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: darthsummer
Now coaches aren’t allowed to make players uncomfortable in any way? Even by just sharing pictures that are already likely strewn across social media?

Regardless, young player or vet, right or wrong, as a professional you take this issue to management if you’re uncomfortable with addressing Babcock directly. Texting a goon who hosts a podcast that focuses on filth more than hockey is subversive to the entire team.

Yes, there are supposed to be more professional ways to address a player's concerns. How trusting are people of those systems in light of fairly recent events however?
At least the issue was addressed in a timely fashion before further harm could be done.

If you sat down for a job interview and they demanded access to your personal photos or files, that would be out of line and not much different from what is (allegedly) taking place here.

You choose what you wish to share from your personal life. If you're put into a situation where you don't feel like you have a choice, that's not simply making someone "uncomfortable".
Sep. 18, 2023 at 3:43 a.m.
Babcock is an old school coach. He was brought in to instill discipline and accountability as much as on the ice as off. Or, at least he thought he was. Who exactly did they think they were hiring when he was given the job in the first place? Unreal. A simple statement of support from the front office early on and this is a non-issue. Instead, they allowed the media to obsess over it at a time when there's nothing else to talk about. Jarmo should be hanging on by a thread right now.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 8:58 a.m.
cautious optimism
As embarrassing as this is, i highly doubt Jarmo is on as hot of a seat as people think. Give it until the end of the year, and if we're still a lottery pick, then we'll talk.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 9:06 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Bobcat205
As embarrassing as this is, i highly doubt Jarmo is on as hot of a seat as people think. Give it until the end of the year, and if we're still a lottery pick, then we'll talk.

Friend, are you still feeling cautiously optimistic or has this last week changed anything?
Bobcat205 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 9:31 a.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: Tintin
Friend, are you still feeling cautiously optimistic or has this last week changed anything?

The optimism has faded slightly but i still have a lot of faith in this squad. Pascal Vincent has proven to be a competent head coach in the AHL and QMJHL, so i would hope he gets the boys to rally around him.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: ricochetii
Yes, there are supposed to be more professional ways to address a player's concerns. How trusting are people of those systems in light of fairly recent events however?
At least the issue was addressed in a timely fashion before further harm could be done.

If you sat down for a job interview and they demanded access to your personal photos or files, that would be out of line and not much different from what is (allegedly) taking place here.

You choose what you wish to share from your personal life. If you're put into a situation where you don't feel like you have a choice, that's not simply making someone "uncomfortable".

There has been zero indication that Babcock “demanded” phones or took them without players’ knowledge. He asked, and by all accounts, nobody refused. If they felt his request put them in a position of an awkward choice, well that’s precisely what “uncomfortable” means.

As for equating it to a job interview (now keep in mind, these athletes already have six-to-eight figure a year contracts), I expect a dive into my personal life to verify my character. While interviewing for my law firm and others, they pored over social media accounts, ran extensive background checks, requested personal writings, held my interview over the course of an entire day, and insisted on having dinner and drinks with not just me but also my fiancée. They contacted references, some whom I had listed and others of their own accord. Plus, the scrutiny to get my Bar license was even more intense and extensive. And that all paled in comparison to the measures taken by a certain government agency with which interviewed years later.

So yeah, I do not see the issue with Babcock’s approach. The prominent players came out supporting his actions; this was just someone using tyranny of the minority, playing off old stories of Babcock to depose him in an unprofessional manner by spinning it to the “media.”
Sep. 18, 2023 at 10:45 a.m.
There has been zero indication that Babcock “demanded” phones or took them without players’ knowledge. He asked, and by all accounts, nobody refused. If they felt his request put them in a position of an awkward choice, well that’s precisely what “uncomfortable” means.

As for equating it to a job interview (now keep in mind, these athletes already have six-to-eight figure a year contracts), I expect a dive into my personal life to verify my character. While interviewing for my law firm and others, they pored over social media accounts, ran extensive background checks, requested personal writings, held my interview over the course of an entire day, and insisted on having dinner and drinks with not just me but also my fiancée. They contacted references, some whom I had listed and others of their own accord. Plus, the scrutiny to get my Bar license was even more intense and extensive. And that all paled in comparison to the measures taken by a certain government agency with which interviewed years later.

So yeah, I do not see the issue with Babcock’s approach. The prominent players came out supporting his actions; this was just someone using tyranny of the minority, playing off old stories of Babcock to depose him in an unprofessional manner by spinning it to the “media.”

It's not the coaches job to dive into a players character, that's for the GM and his team to do (presumably before offering you a contract/drafting you). It really depends how Babcock asked for the photos (which we will never know) and we do know that some players were uncomfortable by the demands (whether they said yes or no again, we'll never know). Simply put, Babcock (who already was a walking PR bomb) decided to do something without thinking about what could happen and it backfired spectacularly in his face
Sep. 18, 2023 at 12:08 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
quote=ricochetii;4412835] That’s not simply making someone "uncomfortable".[/quote]

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
It really depends how Babcock asked for the photos (which we will never know) and we do know that some players were uncomfortable by the demands (whether they said yes or no again, we'll never know).

This is clearly going in circles, so I will save my breath after this. You brought in the concept of a job interview, not I. To your point, the GM (or team president / puppet for ownership / John Davidson) already has hired these players, so they should feel even LESS pressure against objecting to his request, as they have the job security.

As for having a choice versus simply feeling uncomfortable, I see it didn’t take you long to come around. If we want to hold Babcock accountable for his choices, we need to recognize that players made choices too and not give them a free pass. Some—many—choices in life can be difficult, and all come with their pros and cons, but we all have free will. I would imagine that as athletes (and as humans) these players would need to develop resolve to get to this point of their careers. Blaming others for your own choices is not an out I am apt to concede to any member of society.

For what it is worth, my stake in this is purely on principle. I never wanted Larsen ousted, and once he was would have much preferred a scrappier, more relatable hire like Andrew Brunette. Yet my malcontent with the Babcock hire does not allow me to simply accept his exit if it’s under such circumstances.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
The Usual Suspects
Quoting: Brian2016
Babcock is an old school coach. He was brought in to instill discipline and accountability as much as on the ice as off. Or, at least he thought he was. Who exactly did they think they were hiring when he was given the job in the first place? Unreal. A simple statement of support from the front office early on and this is a non-issue. Instead, they allowed the media to obsess over it at a time when there's nothing else to talk about. Jarmo should be hanging on by a thread right now.

I agree with all of this except the final sentence. Since day one, Larsen’s dismissal and this hire have had the stink of John Davidson’s fingerprints. CBJ were headed in the right direction until he was re-hired for a redundant role, seemingly to counteract Jarmo’s hockey moves with less rational maneuvers aimed at continuing ownership’s tradition of risking less and aiming to entrench at the middle of the pack. “Lose, but lose competitively, and collect league revenue in the process” must be on a placard deep in the hallows of Nationwide Arena.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
mokumboi

Quoting: Brian2016

Oh puh-lease.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 12:59 p.m.
torontos finest

I absolutely guarantee you a lot of younger guys have more private/intimate pictures they aren't on social media and that they wouldn't want their coach to see.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
Oh puh-lease.

What's wrong with that statement? Other than the fact that it offends you personally that they hired a coach who didn't prioritize the fragile emotional states of his players. If you're gonna criticize someone's take on something, back it up with some substance. Otherwise, don't say anything.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 1:19 p.m.
I agree with all of this except the final sentence. Since day one, Larsen’s dismissal and this hire have had the stink of John Davidson’s fingerprints. CBJ were headed in the right direction until he was re-hired for a redundant role, seemingly to counteract Jarmo’s hockey moves with less rational maneuvers aimed at continuing ownership’s tradition of risking less and aiming to entrench at the middle of the pack. “Lose, but lose competitively, and collect league revenue in the process” must be on a placard deep in the hallows of Nationwide Arena.

Fair enough.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
Bedard23
Jarmo’s career is looking like it’s on life support

Jarmo’s stats since taking over as GM of the blue jackets:

Playoff appearances: 5 (in 10 seasons)
Playoff series wins: 1
Successful coach hires: 1 (out of 3)

The only thing he’s had going for him is his drafting and the occasional great trade even then there’s the occasional Ryan Dzingel or Liam Foudy. It’s nearly time to pull the plug
Sep. 18, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Go Habs Go

We don't know exactly how it happened or exactly how it took place, nor do we know exactly what his approach was. Perhaps nothing would have came from it if he had done some things differently. I'm hosting a team dinner and would like everyone to bring a few photos to share just to break the ice and get to know each other before we get down to business. There's no pressure, it's out in the open, and no concern over invasion of privacy because you are choosing what you wish to share.
If his approach was to approach players privately and demand they let him scroll through their phone, the atmosphere is completely different.
Maybe one of the players is LGBT, or dating a celebrity, or has intimate/compromising pictures, things that might be in their camera roll that they don't wish to share.
Maybe some of them did indeed say no and now they fear their career will be impacted for refusing (or worse, he straight up told them it would impact how he manages them).
HelmutCool, A_Habs_fan, Eissportclub and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Edited Sep. 18, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.

Lol if you think that most pictures on a 20 YO camera roll go on social media you’re out of touch - coaches shouldn’t have access to a players texts/camera roll. You think the government should have cameras in our homes too?

Seems like a personal problem with you. There’s a reason why a ton of NHL players go on spitten chiclets and why Bissonette is the face of TNT and many other brands
Eissportclub, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
Lol if you think that most pictures on a 20 YO camera roll go on social media you’re out of touch - coaches shouldn’t have access to a players texts/camera roll. You think the government should have cameras in our homes too?

Seems like a personal problem with you. There’s a reason why a ton of NHL players go on spitten chiclets and why Bissonette is the face of TNT and many other brands

I'm not defending what he did or didn't do. I would like to know why this issue wasn't dealt with through the chain of command. There's a reason teams have captains. This issue speaks to disfunction within the organization as much as anything.
darthsummer liked this.
Sep. 18, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.
I mean, fairly accurate title down there.

I fully defend Babcock under what Biz said - “he asked for players phones”.

It seems Babcock did more than ask, which absolutely crosses the line for me. He can be let into your personal life if you choose, not the other way around. I get the sense from the quotes he felt entitled to access the phones to check a players character, and did not give the players a choice.

So far this summer non-performance league headlines have been:

Coyotes arena failure
Galchenyuk (Kapanen too but way less) ending bloodlines
Possible gang sexual act charges for possibly more than 1 active player
Now this

On the good side I have to give Bedard credit. As a blues fan, I can say he has been the beacon of the future, positivity, and I am impressed. That’s it. Back to hating Chicago.

The Beaverton - Toxic Actions of Toxic Coach of Toxic Sport in Toxic League exposed by Toxic Host of Toxic Podcast on Toxic Website
zk97, HockeyScotty and Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll