SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(CGY/VAN) - Lindholm for Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Jurmo, 2024 1st (VAN), 2024 4th (VAN)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 31 at 9:22 p.m.
AusCanuck
I think this is a fair trade, love this for Van and hope they can persuade Petey, Hronek & Lindholm to take slightly less to stick together. I’ve heard rumours Lindholm wanted 8 x 8.5 but there’s no way he’s worth more than Miller who has been a PPG player for about 5 years… Dodging Kuzmenko’s 5.5 cap hit next year is a real win based on current form and his fit with Tocchet.

I thought 1st + Kuzmenko + Brzustewicz was a fair offer, not fussed about the divisional tax of Jurmo + a 4th.
Neutral_Zone_Highlights, CSStrowbridge, vmark and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
I don't think either will be stars, but Brzustewicz should at least play a few seasons as a 3rd pair D-man.

I could see that happening. Is that what you want for lindholm though?
Ehh. It's whatever.
Jan. 31 at 9:24 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Neutral_Zone_Highlights
Kuzmenko has been bad under Tocchet. Really bad. It's unlikely the coach is going anywhere and Kuz at $5.5m is a massive chunk of cap for a player that is sat in the press box on a regular basis, especially considering this trade gets rid of that $5.5m for the upcoming off season when the Canucks have to sign Pettersson and Hronek who will both definitely expect pay increases.

On that contract, on that team, he had negative value, thus getting rid of him is a positive, thus it counts as a cap dump.

Heh. Now it appears we need to review what "regular basis" means. And again, clearing cap for a forthcoming extension does not inherently make one a cap dump. I'd also suggest that your review of his play is way off. Dude scored 18 goals in 36 games for Tocchet last season. Is that "really bad" to you?

Words and terms have meanings, sir.
drambui liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:27 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
I am almost certain Kuzmenko was viewed as a cap dump in this trade.
majormoose007, gretzkyghosts, PrisonBull and 1 other person liked this.
sensonfire
Quoting: Wqrrior
Probably equivalent, given Jurmo and the 4th carrying relatively small value. Despite Hunter's great year, Raty is still more valuable. I still agree that the early take is CGY winning.

Quoting: CSStrowbridge
As a Canucks fan, I would be dancing in the street if the trade was Lindholm was Kuzmenko + Raty + 2024 1st.
Kuzmenko is under performing by nearly $2 million this year and he's still being paid $5.5 million next year.
Räty is doing well in the AHL, given his age, but he's far from a sure thing to make it to the NHL right now.
A late 1st would be the only real piece of that trade.

Lindholm for Hunter and a 1st, plus moving out from Kuzmenko's contract is a fair deal. (The other two pieces are mostly meaningless.)

I'm curious to see what the condition on the 4th is.

It could make a big difference.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Vancouver wins this trade short-term because Lindholm makes an already strong team even stronger, and the Canucks should reach the WCF with him on the roster (plus extra time before the trade deadline to become familiar with his new team and teammates).

Calgary wins the trade if Lindholm doesn't re-sign and Kuzmenko regains his prior form or the first turns into a top player. Extra credit if the Brz guy pans out.

Calgary loses the trade no matter what Lindholm does if neither Kuzmenko nor the first become first-line players and the Brz guy flames out. (pun intended)

Vancouver wins the trade if Lindholm re-signs and excels for at least most of his new contract.

Vancouver loses the trade if Lindholm re-signs and then becomes Corey Perry 2.0.

Lotta balls in the air.
rollie1967, CSStrowbridge, vmark and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:29 p.m.
AusCanuck
Quoting: mokumboi
Heh. Now it appears we need to review what "regular basis" means. And again, clearing cap for a forthcoming extension does not inherently make one a cap dump. I'd also suggest that your review of his play is way off. Dude scored 18 goals in 36 games for Tocchet last season. Is that "really bad" to you?

How many Canucks games do you watch? I think Van fans were all pulling for Kuzy but it was clearly not the right fit and it was obvious he would need to be moved to free up cap space to upgrade the roster
vmark, gretzkyghosts, PrisonBull and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:30 p.m.

Kuzmenko was a healthy scratch for 5 games this season as of Jan 4th (as per sportsnet article on Jan 4th, which means a healthy scratch in 5 of 38 games). it's a nitpick to claim this isn't "on a regular basis".

Also, it's true to say he has been bad under Tocchet this season. The question is whether you project his play getting any better under this coach on this team. You are free to hold the opinion that he would have, I think categorically not.
TheGxForum liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:30 p.m.
AusCanuck
Quoting: sensonfire

2025 1st if they win the cup?? 😂 I don’t think anyone would actually care if they finally climbed the mountain
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 31 at 10:42 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Vancouver wins this trade short-term because Lindholm makes an already strong team even stronger, and the Canucks should reach the WCF with him on the roster (plus extra time before the trade deadline to become familiar with his new team and teammates).

Calgary wins the trade if Lindholm doesn't re-sign and Kuzmenko regains his prior form or the first turns into a top player. Extra credit if the Brz guy pans out.

Calgary loses the trade no matter what Lindholm does if neither Kuzmenko nor the first become first-line players and the Brz guy flames out. (pun intended)

Vancouver wins the trade if Lindholm re-signs and excels for at least most of his new contract.

Vancouver loses the trade if Lindholm re-signs and then becomes Corey Perry 2.0.

Lotta balls in the air.

The one issue in the WCF thing is they got 2 very strong teams to go through even with him. Yes they did beat EDM early in the season but EDM woke up and has chosen violence. 16 wins in a row. They gonna probs look to add at TDL

Then u got VGK who won last year. They riddled with injuries but are still pretty dangerous. And they probs gonna add

Feels like this could be like the ATL

Where the first 2 rounds are slaughter fests

And done even get me started with potential opponents outside DAL, AVS

Man both sides may have evened out in runs now lul
OldNYIfan, vmark and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:32 p.m.
Calgary wins this trade. Kuzmenko may never be up for the Selke...but if you can put up with the odd lazy shift- he can light it up. if not- hes only got 1 more year on his deal.
the 1st isnt likely to be a high pick...but still lots of value.
Brzu- could be the key to this deal.
Jurmo is unlikely to amount to much. might not even come over to the NHL, hasnt progressed at all.

the only way Vancouver wins this trade- they get to the finals with Lindholm being a contributor
gretzkyghosts and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:33 p.m.
MajorMoose
I'm cool with this from a Canucks perspective as Brzustewicz is good but likely wasn't going to fit in long-term with Hughes and Hronek on the blueline, Kuzmenko was never going to work with Tocchet, the first will be in the mid to late 20s, it was questionable if Jurmo was going to sign an ELC here and the 4th is a 4th. The Canucks top 6 needed another piece and while I would've liked more of a play driver I like Lindholm's versatility and how he fills the holes of a right-handed centre that can kill penalties. I do think Calgary got good assets here for a pending UFA and it's a good sign for their future that they aren't doubling down on a mediocre core.
Jan. 31 at 9:35 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Hot take, not all that big of a haul.

Kuzmenko was almost certainly viewed as a cap dump a lot more than people expected (but as I predicted NHL GMs did not buy into a 27% shooting %)

1st+Bruz

Really depends on how you view him.
CSStrowbridge, Canucks123, PrisonBull and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:36 p.m.
MajorMoose
Quoting: sensonfire

My guess is that it's the highest one considering Vancouver also has New Jersey's 4th in addition to their own
sensonfire liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:37 p.m.
I don't understand this trade for the Canucks. You're trading for an expiring Lindholm who has played like a 3C for 2 years now... this would be a fair price during last year's deadline where you could plausibly say that he's just having a little bit of a down year and he has an extra year of control but this price is bananas. If they extend him (and they kinda have to for this price) it's going to be one of the worst deals in the league.

Also idc how Kuzmenko has played this year or how his coach hates him apparently, he shouldn't be a negative asset. The guy had 74 points last year! That's with him shooting 27%, take away half his goals and that's still 65 point pace. He's going to end up being like Granlund in the Karlsson trade, rebuilding his trade value in a better system. I bet he could be flipped for a 2nd by next year's deadline. Then you add a 4th and 2 prospects and least 1 of them who has real value on top of that just for the hell of it. Absolutely brain dead move for Vancouver
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:38 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Hotter take:

This is still less value than the Horvat return
Newgod77, CSStrowbridge, mv21227 and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:38 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Jan. 31 at 9:44 p.m.
Any elite player goes for a 1st, a replacement NHLer and a prospect at TDL.

I see the first 2 but no A prospect (don't know them). Looks like quantity over quality to me. Vanvouver W.

And Monahan will get a conditionnal 1st + low pick/b prospect. Like comparables.
Jan. 31 at 9:43 p.m.
More quantity over quality for Calgary.
A late first and a B prospect not the worst
jpsnow13 liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: justinhollfan3
Brz and a first for a ufa center? not to mention kuzmenko? i dont even know lol this seems lopsided to me

From the Canucks' perspective, Kuzmenko is essentially being cap-dumped and it's unclear whether he can recover anything like his form from last year. That being the case, I don't think it's an overpay.

I say fair deal. Vancouver gets an extremely high end 2C for their Cup run, Calgary gets some nice assets for a departing player.
justinhollfan3 and PrisonBull liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:47 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Like this a lot for Calgary, get a first, good prospect, and talented player for a guy who wanted too much money and seems to be falling off. Honestly the biggest win is not paying whatever his next contract is.

For Vancouver I think they paid a fair price, but it was only fair because they put Kuzmenko's value in the toilet. The relationship with Tochett seemed rocky and his confidence was wrecked after being scratched.

I also don't love trades where you trade a 1st+ just to upgrade from a talented player to a talented player.
gretzkyghosts and rollie1967 liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:49 p.m.
Btw, this also means Vancouver stole Calgary's All-Star. The Flames will be the only team without a rep in the game.

Didn’t the same thing happen to the Canucks last year when they traded Horvat just before the break? (I can’t remember if they had another player in the all-star game or he was the only one.)
mokumboi liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:52 p.m.
Nah.
CGY win if he’s a rental; VAN win if they give him an (reasonable) extension.

And/or if Kuzmenko can bounce back as a Flame
Jan. 31 at 9:52 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: Neutral_Zone_Highlights
Kuzmenko was a healthy scratch for 5 games this season as of Jan 4th (as per sportsnet article on Jan 4th, which means a healthy scratch in 5 of 38 games). it's a nitpick to claim this isn't "on a regular basis".

Also, it's true to say he has been bad under Tocchet this season. The question is whether you project his play getting any better under this coach on this team. You are free to hold the opinion that he would have, I think categorically not.

1 - Five healthy scratches in 48 games is not regular basis. By any stretch of the imagination. That's barely over once a month.

2 - Except you didn't say under Tocchet "this season" in the earlier comment. You said "under Tocchet". Not the same thing, bud.
Jan. 31 at 9:53 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
Hot take, not all that big of a haul.

Kuzmenko was almost certainly viewed as a cap dump a lot more than people expected (but as I predicted NHL GMs did not buy into a 27% shooting %)

1st+Bruz

Really depends on how you view him.

It's a 1st, a prospect, and a warm body. The 4th and Jurmo will likely never sign an NHL contract, so it doesn't matter.

This is really a standard trade for a rental.
TheGxForum liked this.
Jan. 31 at 9:55 p.m.
Majors and minors
Flames gave up HUGE faceoff winner centerman to division rival. Signing Brzustewicz might pay off in long run, sort of like that First round pick. But if Vancouver lost Hoglander instead of Kuzmenko... ????

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit