SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/General Fantasy Talk

Player Discussions

Aug. 6, 2019 at 8:24 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Eichel does like 90+ per game and he is at 100%. He is one of the best at zone entries I can think.

Yes Eichel is definitely great at zone entries. Kessel is another name that comes to mind.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 8:28 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
Is Erik Johnson a bust? Not that he is a bad player, he just doesn't seem like first overall caliber

Quoting: SammyT_51
Definitely not a bust, very good defensive Dman.. but not 1st overall guy..

Yeah Erik Johnson is a really physical shutdown defenseman who has a good shot, but usually you expect more offensive upside from a first overall pick. He’s like Chris Phillips, great defensive defenseman who doesn’t move the puck too often.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 8:28 a.m.
LEAFSandBRUINSfan
Is Erik Johnson a bust? Not that he is a bad player, he just doesn't seem like first overall caliber

Full time nhl player so no. Yakupov is
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 8:40 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Snipshow4416
Full time nhl player so no. Yakupov is

I look at all the draft busts that came from Russia over the last few years: Nikolai Zherdev, Nikita Filatov, Alexander Semin and Nail Yakupov. All huge talents gone to waste because one, they are lazy and two, they could not adjust to playing in the dead tree stay at home defenseman era.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 9:38 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
I look at all the draft busts that came from Russia over the last few years: Nikolai Zherdev, Nikita Filatov, Alexander Semin and Nail Yakupov. All huge talents gone to waste because one, they are lazy and two, they could not adjust to playing in the dead tree stay at home defenseman era.

Semin a bust? I wouldn't call 650 games and 517 points a bust.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Jangle29
Zone entries are very underrated. Nylander is excellent at it. Don’t forget Kane also scored the 2010 cup winner and a hat trick in game 7 of the 2013 Conference Finals. Whose playoff run would you say was more impressive, Kane in 2013 or Malkin in 2009?

I think it's hard to say because I'm not a huge Pittsburgh fan and Malkin was doing it with the best player in the world on the next line. Toews was always great too but Sid was and still likely is the best
Aug. 6, 2019 at 12:25 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jangle29
I think it's hard to say because I'm not a huge Pittsburgh fan and Malkin was doing it with the best player in the world on the next line. Toews was always great too but Sid was and still likely is the best

Yeah but the Hawks team was more stacked. Kane was actually playing on the second line behind Sharp-Toews-Hossa. Malkin absolutely took over in the Conference Finals with multiple hat tricks. It was a very strong Canes team that basically had the same roster from when they won the cup a few seasons ago. He was matched against Brind’Amour, one of the best defensive forwards of all time. Throughout the whole tournament Malkin was creating chances, dangling past players, playing physical and being a stand-up guy who intimidated his opponents. He finished the playoffs with 14 goals and 38 points, the most since Gretzky in 1993. And that was in the dead tree defensive era. I’ve always felt Kane is the more flashy and dynamic player but Malkin is more dominant.
Jangle29 liked this.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 12:26 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: mondo
Semin a bust? I wouldn't call 650 games and 517 points a bust.

In all fairness, he did pretty well for a lazy Russian sniper in the dead tree defensive hockey era. However he was extremely controversial, made a lot of comments and also got called out a ton for his attitude.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

@mondo @palhal

I want to make a hot take: Patrick Kane at his best was a better player than Brett Hull.

Do you agree or disagree and why? Feel free to comment!
Aug. 6, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
@mondo @palhal

I want to make a hot take: Patrick Kane at his best was a better player than Brett Hull.

Do you agree or disagree and why? Feel free to comment!

I know it was a different time and it probably wont happen again but when kane puts up 86 goals and 131 points in a year then we will talk. Hull put up 228 goals in 3 season. No chance its hull all the way.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 3:09 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: hanson493
I know it was a different time and it probably wont happen again but when kane puts up 86 goals and 131 points in a year then we will talk. Hull put up 228 goals in 3 season. No chance its hull all the way.

I appreciate your explanation and you’re right, Hull is probably the greatest one dimensional sniper the game has ever seen. However, his only outstanding ability was his shot. He does not have the skating, agility, stick handling, puck skills and creativity that Kane has. Most times he just waited in an open area for his teammates to get him the puck, and he would score. However, he couldn’t drive the play and create attack on his own. He was very fortunate to play alongside Adam Oates and Mike Modano, two of the greatest playmakers ever. Honestly Brett Hull as an all round player was lacking. He wasn’t a great skater, his stick handling and dekes were average, he wasn’t physical and didn’t contribute much defensively. All he had was excellent hockey sense and a great shot. It’s enough to be considered a great player, but not enough to be compared to the elite like Jagr or Kane. Brett Hull is like the Gerd Muller of ice hockey, a poacher who only scores tap ins and one timers. Honestly I think even Cole Caufield and Patrik Laine have more raw talent than Brett Hull.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
I appreciate your explanation and you’re right, Hull is probably the greatest one dimensional sniper the game has ever seen. However, his only outstanding ability was his shot. He does not have the skating, agility, stick handling, puck skills and creativity that Kane has. Most times he just waited in an open area for his teammates to get him the puck, and he would score. However, he couldn’t drive the play and create attack on his own. He was very fortunate to play alongside Adam Oates and Mike Modano, two of the greatest playmakers ever. Honestly Brett Hull as an all round player was lacking. He wasn’t a great skater, his stick handling and dekes were average, he wasn’t physical and didn’t contribute much defensively. All he had was excellent hockey sense and a great shot. It’s enough to be considered a great player, but not enough to be compared to the elite like Jagr or Kane. Brett Hull is like the Gerd Muller of ice hockey, a poacher who only scores tap ins and one timers. Honestly I think even Cole Caufield and Patrik Laine have more raw talent than Brett Hull.

Your opinion and you are welcome to it, I think hull gets the credit he deserves but its a completely different era of hockey. There werent a plethora of guys that were deking and stick handling you like they do now. it was so much more physical that you either had to be strong on the puck or it was going the other way. I will never discount goals scored when that is the main objective (scoring more than the other team) to do that as much as hull did is magnificent. Kane is allowed to play his brand of hockey in the era because thats the way the league trended. the real question is modano or toews.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Your opinion and you are welcome to it, I think hull gets the credit he deserves but its a completely different era of hockey. There werent a plethora of guys that were deking and stick handling you like they do now. it was so much more physical that you either had to be strong on the puck or it was going the other way. I will never discount goals scored when that is the main objective (scoring more than the other team) to do that as much as hull did is magnificent. Kane is allowed to play his brand of hockey in the era because thats the way the league trended. the real question is modano or toews.

Yes you are right about the physicality, but even if Hull wasn’t a dangler, he still wasn’t great at driving the play. He wasn’t physical, didn’t go into the dirty areas and win battles, didn’t contribute defensively and wasn’t a great playmaker either (his best season he got 45 assists which honestly wasn’t a lot for someone playing in then 90s).
Aug. 6, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Yes you are right about the physicality, but even if Hull wasn’t a dangler, he still wasn’t great at driving the play. He wasn’t physical, didn’t go into the dirty areas and win battles, didn’t contribute defensively and wasn’t a great playmaker either (his best season he got 45 assists which honestly wasn’t a lot for someone playing in then 90s).

But, do you think hull could play in this era and kane in that era? i think kanes career wouldnt have flourished like it has this era of hockey. where as hull (obviously lesser goal totals) still produces as an ovechkin type player.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
But, do you think hull could play in this era and kane in that era? i think kanes career wouldnt have flourished like it has this era of hockey. where as hull (obviously lesser goal totals) still produces as an ovechkin type player.

That’s something I often wonder of. Maybe Kane’s playing style would be a little different, he’d have to be more physical, but I do believe he would be a star because he has the talent which can allow him to train and adapt to the playing style of the 90s. If Hull played in today’s era, I think he would get 100 goals or more per season since all he does is wait around. But he’s no Ovie, Ovie was a great dangler who generated attack by himself. Plus he had the physical presence as well.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

I often think, can Gordie Howe be a star player if he played today? He probably couldn’t if he continued with the same playing style from the 50s, but if he was born in this era and had the talent, he would be able to adapt to this playing style and become a star.
Aug. 6, 2019 at 5:42 p.m.

I often think, can Gordie Howe be a star player if he played today? He probably couldn’t if he continued with the same playing style from the 50s, but if he was born in this era and had the talent, he would be able to adapt to this playing style and become a star.

Kane would be faster and more agile in that era, I believe players like him McDavid and others from this era would have dominated that era. I don't know what would happen if a Gretzky player came to this era, but even he said that they are better and faster.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 5:58 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
I would like to ask, why is Brent Burns considered a better all-round defenseman than Kris Letang?

All answers would be appreciated.

@SammyT_51 @Jamiepo @BuFfaLOFaN @BurgerBoss @rangersandislesfan @hanson493 @SpaghettiPasta @BeastModeUnknown @STLBlues17 @Stan_Bowman

@oneX @LoganOllivier @palhal @Jangle29 @mondo @BCAPP @blowing_the_zone @Claesson4Norris

Hey guys,

I just put together a thread of an Evgeni Malkin trade scenario with every team. Please check it out and let me know in the comment sections what you think regarding the moves I made, I tried my best to be as fair as possible and not let my Penguins bias show.

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/262876&post_id=1039799
Aug. 14, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
@oneX @LoganOllivier @palhal @Jangle29 @mondo @BCAPP @blowing_the_zone @Claesson4Norris

Hey guys,

I just put together a thread of an Evgeni Malkin trade scenario with every team. Please check it out and let me know in the comment sections what you think regarding the moves I made, I tried my best to be as fair as possible and not let my Penguins bias show.

hey, you know you don't have to tag everyone on the site.
BuFfaLOFaN and Shylo_Moxii liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 9:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Only real reason Pittsburg wants to trade is to get cap space. So that likely means a trade to poor team...who has cap space. Malkin's NMC trumps any trade. Highly doubt he leaves the Pens.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 9:44 p.m.
hey, you know you don't have to tag everyone on the site.

I like it, good to be on the list
Aug. 14, 2019 at 10:24 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: palhal
Only real reason Pittsburg wants to trade is to get cap space. So that likely means a trade to poor team...who has cap space. Malkin's NMC trumps any trade. Highly doubt he leaves the Pens.

Yes I agree, hopefully the Penguins never trade him, but I’m disappointed that most of the fan base was more loyal towards Kessel than they are to Geno.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:03 p.m.

Hey guys,

Hey Paparazzi I unsubscribe from your channel.
mhockey91 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2019 at 11:42 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
I would like to ask, why is Brent Burns considered a better all-round defenseman than Kris Letang?

All answers would be appreciated.

@SammyT_51 @Jamiepo @BuFfaLOFaN @BurgerBoss @DoctorBreakfast @dgfresh78 @mhockey91 @okrepps185

found a video that could explain it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1No643Me7d
mhockey91 liked this.
Aug. 16, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
@BuFfaLOFaN @BurgerBoss @DoctorBreakfast @SpaghettiPasta @Bcarlo25 @BeastModeUnknown @Eklund

please check out this piece I wrote regarding Marc-Andre Fleury. Let me know what you think! https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1388771

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll