SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(DET/MTL) - Lindström, 2025 4th (DET) for Petry

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
We don't need 3RHD, teams don't usually run 3/3.

Matheson-Savard
Guhle-Harris
Xhekaj-Kovecevic
Widemen

Lol, so where does Lindstrom go? He be claimed off waivers. Wideman is not coming back to the NHL. Xhekaj/Lindstrom would rotate as 6/7D in this case
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Evans truther
Edited Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
The "DeTrOiT dOeSn'T wAnT pEtRy" fanclub looking amazing today!

Edit: In his post trade presser Kent Hughes said he told Petry he'd work expeditiously and wouldn't drag it out trying to maximize every piece of value in the trade. Kent has done right by Petry and it explains the return we got.
Andy_Dick, jpsnow13, JayTea and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Montreal - Actually got assets after Pittsburgh gave us a 2nd to dump him

Detroit - got a serviceable top 4 defender for cheap

Think it's a win win, I don't know why Detroit needs another defender though

Montreal uses a retention spot on this though. Don’t really understand wasting 2 years of retention for such a marginal return.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Yegor bomb
Wait, according to Habs fans I thought Petry was suppose to return a 3rd + a good young defenseman/prospect for only like 20% retention.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
go Sharks go
Yeah for sure, but if you think that Montreal got a 2nd + got rid of Hoffman for Petry and then flipped him for more picks , it looks good for Montreal.

yeah fs, Pittsburgh and Detroit trades fit Montreal’s needs well
ColonelX liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: drambui
the fact you had petry traded in your head to florida is irrelevant...

Florida is preparing to start the season without a single RHD in their lineup, given that Ekblad and Montour are bound for LTIR.

And Florida gave generously for Ben Chiarot not too long ago.

Either way, I'm sorry I didn't declare Montreal as the winner of this trade.

I offer you my deepest sympathies.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
I think this is more than fair for both teams. MTL wanted to get out of Hoffman and Pitlick. They did that, took on a retention spot in its place and got a ton of assets for it.

This ended up being:

Hoffman
Pitlick

for

2.3M of retention
Desmith (Who I think is also going to be traded for an asset - Lets just say a 6th round pick)
Lindstrom
Legare
2nd round pick
4th round pick

If someone made an AGM prior to the EK trade that had the above, we all would have laughed and shot it down immediately. Just in terms of actual cap, Habs basically shifted a little cap this year that they would have had to pay this year (Hoffman+Pitlick) to next season. For all of the above assets.
dannibalcorpse and jpsnow13 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
go Sharks go
Quoting: budgeteam
It is a good pickup for Detroit. Although, I would be hesitant about the second year. The second year, and trade being late in the off season when most cap is spoken for is likely why Detroit got him for basically nothing.

Even if he ends up as a veteran #5 type D, 1.5M-2.5M is what that kind of player costs. Ottawa gave Hamonic 2M.

I think he’s good enough for the 2nd pair, though, and at 35 it’s possible, but not that likely that he’ll fall off a cliff in year 2 imo
MountRoyal liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: budgeteam

and Montreal gave up nearly 2M in cap space for a 2nd two years from now (basically the equivalent of a current year 3rd)

Uh, what? A 2nd in two years is just that, a 2nd in two years. That’s like arguing a 1st in four years is worth as much as a 4th today.

Quoting: turtlemountain
Montreal uses a retention spot on this though. Don’t really understand wasting 2 years of retention for such a marginal return.

We got a 2nd already as part of the larger transaction and it doesn’t make sense for us to keep him, because we need the roster spot for younger players.
Andy_Dick and rollie1967 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:21 p.m.
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
I'm upset Mtl is retaining on Petry in this deal.
And I am super uneasy trading with Yzerman, call it PTSD from Sergachev

I'm going to laugh when of etry is meh and Lindstrom turns into a 3-4 defenseman
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire
Florida is preparing to start the season without a single RHD in their lineup, given that Ekblad and Montour are bound for LTIR.

And Florida gave generously for Ben Chiarot not too long ago.

Either way, I'm sorry I didn't declare Montreal as the winner of this trade.

I offer you my deepest sympathies.

i dont really think montreal wins anything. im just saying the value you make in your head is irrelevant.

if i had gustav lindstrom going to the sens for a first in my head doesnt affect the fact he had no value.
TN_T liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I'd say Detroit wins this trade, but it's honestly pretty reasonable.
Saskleaf, Andy_Dick and MountRoyal liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:29 p.m.
Quoting: Justafan79
I'm going to laugh when of etry is meh and Lindstrom turns into a 3-4 defenseman

Well I hope you're right. But I wont hold my breath
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
WentWughes
Lol, so where does Lindstrom go? He be claimed off waivers. Wideman is not coming back to the NHL. Xhekaj/Lindstrom would rotate as 6/7D in this case

Then let him get claimed on waivers, he was a tirefire in the NHL last year, he shouldn't be playing in the NHL.
CBA liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
WentWughes

It is what it is. We got a 2nd + 4th + dumped Hoffman+ 2 young players for losing that retention spot.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Civil_Eng_PE
Wait, according to Habs fans I thought Petry was suppose to return a 3rd + a good young defenseman/prospect for only like 20% retention.

Boqvist is a replacement level defender that is injury prone, small and horrible defensively. This trade wasnt far off at all with another bottom pair D plus a pick and for anyone to go mad because the pick was a 4th instead of a 3rd is unhinged
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Yegor bomb
Quoting: Andy_Dick
Boqvist is a replacement level defender. This trade wasnt far off at all with a prospect plus a pick and for anyone to go mad because the pick was a 4th instead of a 3rd is unhinged

You are delusional if you think Boqvist and Lindström are comparable value-wise
Brian2016 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
Banned

It is what it is. We got a 2nd + 4th + dumped Hoffman+ 2 young players for losing that retention spot.

The cap space is meaningless for Mtl. They arent a contender. Not using your cap space is worse than simply getting less than desired value. Sitting on your hand is essentially what Philly did at the last TDL and got roasted for it. Briere cleaning house this Summer and has got nothing but praise despite little value on players like Hayes, DeAngelo. Both GMs arent letting their ego get in the way and doing whats necessary in the grand scheme of things.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
Then let him get claimed on waivers, he was a tirefire in the NHL last year, he shouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Lol really?? Then obviously if that happens Hughes lost this trade. If he can't play NHL then ya bad trade
Civil_Eng_PE and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
Banned
Lol really?? Then obviously if that happens Hughes lost this trade. If he can't play NHL then ya bad trade

They needed to clear room on the roster forget the cap. This is another deal that is a loss now for a win later down the road.
This will help the tank and develop their blue line.
Now Mailloux/Barron have a shot to make the roster depending on their camps. You want to create a spirit of competition. Hoffman, Drouin, Pitlick, Edmundson, Gurianov, Petry gone. Team cap went down this year, got picks and they got even younger.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
Pete
Awful! Lindstrom + 4th pick should had been the price for Petry with no 50% salary retention.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:10 p.m.
Jeff Petry at $6.25 million is really bad.
Jeff Petry at $4.7 million is decent.
Jeff Petry at $2.4 million is a steal.

Montreal should have been able to get more than this.
Andy_Dick, Pete, sensonfire and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: Andy_Dick
The cap space is meaningless for Mtl.

This isn't true. Every team wants cap space, even if you are not a contender. You can weaponize that cap space when the TDL comes around.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
This isn't true. Every team wants cap space, even if you are not a contender. You can weaponize that cap space when the TDL comes around.

That is very vague. Every team has different uses of cap space. As said Montreal isnt a contender. They dont need to maximize fit if it isnt there.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:19 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
It's a fair deal. Petry was never gonna get anything substantial. MTL did not have the leverage to ask for more because of how he was just dumped and he's 35 years old, coming off 2 bad seasons. At 2.3 it's fine for a 3rd pair caliber dman.

Montreal essentially just got paid picks to dump replace Hoffman and Pitlick with 2 years of 2 million dollard deadcap

The amount of people expecting him to net a 1st+ mind boggles me, but it shouldn't because it happened last summer too...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit